Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Speakers getting hot

Let me preface my stating I am a newbie and forgive for the poor
technical descriptions.

I have a Boston Accoustics Digital Theater 6000. This is hooked to a
PC (Gateway Destination) system that I had disconnected for awhile.
The system has a center channel, 4 speakers and a subwoofer.

Problem: The left speakers keep heating up to the point where the
finally shutoff. I've switched wires and speakers. No matter what is
plugged up into the left side after awhile the speaker heats up. As of
right now the only ones I am sure that can play contionously are the
subwoofer, center channel and right side speaker.

All speakers are sitting out in the open are are well ventilated. All
the speakers are plugged into the subwoofer. Speakers, subwoofer, PC
and wires came as a unit. The subwoofer gets a little warm but it
doesn't seem excessive. After the speakers cool off they can be played
on the right side with no apparent problem.

Any ideas as to what is wrong and how to repair?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

It sounds to me as if it's one of two general classes of problem:

- The built-in amplifier may have one bad channel, which is feeding
an excessively-strong (but inaudible) signal into the affected
speaker. There might be a DC offset voltage present in the signal
fed to the speaker (this would probably push the speaker's woofer
cone forward or backward, and would result in excess current flow
through the woofer voicecoil and lead to heat buildup) or there
might be an ultrasonic oscillation which is overdriving and
overheating the tweeter.

- The PC may be feeding a signal to the speaker system's input which
is causing problems e.g. oscillation or excessive high-frequency
treble.

Figuring out just what the "overheat" signal is, could probably be
done fairly easily with an oscilloscope.

I would guess that correcting it will require repairing the speaker
system's DSP or amplifier... and with today's products, it's probably
going to be cheaper to replace the whole thing than to pay for a repair.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Thanks for the help. One more question listed down below. I have
indeed switched speakers around, wires, etc. The manner in which it is
connected eliminates the PC as the problem (at least I think it does).
All the satellite speakers are connected to the woofer. The woofer is
then connected by audio cables to the PC. I've switched both speakers
and cables and determined that the problem involves the left speaker
inputs of the subwoofer.

I reconnected this system in hopes of selling it (for not much I know).
I've got a 36'' monster Gateway PC/TV monitor, the PC and related
accessories. While this setup is now dated I hate just to junk it.
Everything works fine except for this problem I've just discovered.
Maybe someone will just take the monitor off my hands at a garage sale.

One last thought/question: Think I could get a replacement for this
subwoofer relatively cheaply? I imagine it has to be a Boston woofer
because the center channel controls everything and is attached with
pronged receptacle to the woofer.

Thanks again

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

tkat wrote ...
One last thought/question: Think I could get a replacement for this
subwoofer relatively cheaply? I imagine it has to be a Boston woofer
because the center channel controls everything and is attached with
pronged receptacle to the woofer.

You need an exact replacement because of the high degree
of integration between all the parts. Unless you can find
somebody who has exactly the same model with a smashed
satellite speaker, it seems highly unlikely that you can replace
the main part (the subwoofer which also contains all the
electronics). I would be amazed if you could fix this for
less than what it is worth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

wrote in message
oups.com...
I reconnected this system in hopes of selling it (for not much I know).
I've got a 36'' monster Gateway PC/TV monitor, the PC and related
accessories. While this setup is now dated I hate just to junk it.
Everything works fine except for this problem I've just discovered.
Maybe someone will just take the monitor off my hands at a garage sale.

If you really want to sell all this as a set, I'd just pick up a cheap, $10
pair of speakers and tell any buyers that the original speakers quit
working. If the buyer wants better speakers, let them go to Best Buy, or
their favorite computer store, and let them foot the bill for a good set of
speakers.

I'm sure someone would want that TV/Monitor, since it would work with a
newer computer. Where are you located? Maybe someone like me would be
interested.

:-)

Jeff