Robert Morein

Default Mikey said this

Mikey said,
"A damping factor of 1 is not going to be significantly better than a
dmaping factor of 500."

Mikey, do you think it would "a little" better? A teeny bit better?
Just how do you feel a damping factor of 1 would affect sound quality,
Mikey?

Comments on Mikey's intelligence are welcome.

Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion

.net

Subject: why it isn't so important, but still has meaning (long!).
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:36:54 GMT

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
et...

[snip]
For an expalnation of why damping factor is a pretty meaningless
specification, I refer you to:

http://www.diyspeakers.net/Articles/...G%20FACTOR.pdf

The article is erroneous, for the reasons Sander gives.
In particular, very high damping factors are measured under small signal
conditions. However, when there is a large bass note, small signal
conditions do not apply.
Aside from intentional low frequency rolloff, this accounts for why some
amplifiers have much stronger bass than others.
Damping factor is an extremely important measurement, but it varies with
load and frequency, something not understood by the little mckelviphibians
of the world.

Thank you, Sander, for adding your voice to the discussion.

He didn't agree with you, idiot.
He said essentiazlly the same thing I said, it's over minor importance.
[...]

As a means of comparison, let's reexamine the effects of non-zero source
resistance on a typical speaker whose impedance varies from a low of 6W to a
high of 40W .

Damping
factor
RG
GdB(MIN)
GdB(MAX)
GdB(ERROR)

¥
0 W
0 dB
0 dB
0 dB

2000
0.004
-0.006
-0.001
±0.003

1000
0.008
-0.012
-0.002
±0.005

500
0.016
-0.023
-0.003
±0.01

200
0.04
-0.058
-0.009
±0.025

100
0.08
-0.115
-0.017
±0.049

50
0.16
-0.229
-0.035
±0.098

20
0.4
-0.561
-0.086
±0.23

10
0.8
-1.087
-0.172
±0.46

5
1.6
-2.053
-0.341
±0.86

2
4
-4.437
-0.828
±1.8

1
8
-7.360
-1.584
±2.9

As before, the first column shows the nominal 8W damping factor, the second
shows the corresponding output resistance of the amplifier. The second and
third columns show the minimum and maximum attenuation due to the amplifier's
source resistance, and the last column illustrates the resulting deviation
in the frequency response caused by the output resistance.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just admit you are clueless?

Robert Morein

wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

Gosh, Mikey, this is the first time I've ever seen impedance measured in
watts.
Congratulations on the innovation.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

In my haste I copied the wrong piece,thinking it was the same chart as from
the the first web link I
posted:http://www.diyspeakers.net/Articles/...G%20FACTOR.pdf

The excerpt your having a problem with is from this one:
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...ingfactor2.php

In any case take it up with Mr. Pierce. I'm sure he'd love to wipe thge
floor with you again.

Robert Morein

Default Mikey said this because he's dumb

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

k.net...

posted:http://www.diyspeakers.net/Articles/...DAMPING%20FACT
OR.pdf

The excerpt your having a problem with is from this one:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...ingfactor2.php

In any case take it up with Mr. Pierce.

Thanks for admitting you cannot defend your stupidity.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

[...]