Peter Larsen

Default Should I Re-cone a JBL L-65 Woofer ??

DMHenrie wrote:

Your L-65 Jubals are worth quite a bit of money, as long as they are in good
shape and intact. I remember them quite well when they first came out, and
can still hold their own, espaecially with that great tweeter they have. To
be honest though, I would of bet a paycheck they were 12" woofers, same as
the Century L-100's.

Not the same woofer, a custom version on the K120 type basket rather
than the D123 basket the L100 woofer uses as I recall this. Email me at
for details on how to remit the money ....

I personally would get them reconed, but I doubt you
would notice any difference between JBL and non-JBL materials.

Was there also a bet on this?

They are replacing the foam and paper, not the voice coil
or magnet assembly.

The front suspension repair kits replace the front suspension only. The
original recone kit consist of membrane, front and rear suspensin and
voice coil, I do not know whether the entire membrane unit is delivered
as a single part for rapid fitting or assembled from components in the
chassis.

I have a local audio compnay do my older jbl's, and it cost
me less than $100 for both. Do some web searching, as it is
a popular repair, and you should find a comfortable price.

My level of information, and it may be incorrect, is that JBL has no
repair kits in stock for the 12" unit in question because it is "not a
professional unit". It may however be that they have 12" repair kits
that fit the basket, but have a higher efficiency as well as a higher Fs
than the original bass unit.

That does not preclude that JBL dealers may have proper parts on the
shelf. There are no original re-foam kits for any JBL unit that I know
of, only complete membranes or membrane kits. A stock of various dust
caps is probable.

If in doubt, check all of the above on JBL's comsumer or pro websites.

Dave

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

* My site is at: