Patrick Turner

Default CPI, RDH4, pg 523

Something else needs to be said about bootstrapping the pentode RL
of the schematic in the mifddle of the page 523.

The CPI has R4, 20k for the anode load, and then 40k from
cathode to 0V, R5.
There is another R2, 40k from B+ taken to the junction of R1/C2.
Thus R2 is effectively is in parallel with R5, and coupled via C2.

Now I reckon this arrangement of R loads means that at large signal
voltage levels,
the output from the CPI cathode will cut off sharply above a threshold
because of the
ratio of R5 to R2, which is 1:1, where ideally to make the cut off
distortion
occur at a high voltage threshold, the cap coupled R should be a much
higher
value than the R carrying DC to/from a tube.

The penomena is no different to where one has a cathode follower, and
the cap coupled load
is reduced, so that if RL dc = cap coupled RL, then if the Ia is cut
right off,
the maximum downward voltage travel is 1/2 the quiescent voltage between
cathode and 0V.

A CPI has to perhaps make a quite a few volts to drive an output stage,
and unless there is a nice large voltage between the cathode of the CPI
and 0V,
there will be limiting of the voltage travel due to the voltage divider
effect
of the two RLs being equal.

It would therefore not be such a good idea to use this circuit to drive
large octal outputs, since the drive is usually over 25 vrms max to each
g1.

With a normal R loaded pentode stage driving a CPI, the gain will be
around 6 times less than the
bootstrapped gain pentode, so to boost the gain without
the ill-effects of early cut off I have described, a CCS could be used
with the pentode,
in the form of a triode as one would use in a mu follower config,
where the R between top tube is around 10 times a normal
cathode biasing R, so about 22k.
If the top tube has U = 100, like a paralleled 12AX7, the
load seen by the bottom tube becomes about 100 x 22k // whatever biasing
R for the top tube is,
but at least RL for the pentode would be about 1M, and
if U of the pentode is 3,000, Ra = 1M, say for a 6AU6, at Ia = 1.5 mA
then gain
= 1,500, and that's plenty.

Direct coupling of the input pentode is possible to the CPI grid.

I'd still prefer to use cascaded low u triodes for the input drive amp,
since the linearity is maybe 10 times better.

But the Williamson with all 6SN7 with KT66 triode outputs, ( or better,
KT88/6550/300B outputs ) and using 20 dB of GFB needs about 2vrms input
for full power.

PPL may not agree with 20 dB of GFB, and ok, its your choice,
and I would maybe use only 12 dB for a triode output stage,
and that would reduce Vin needed to about 0.8vrms.
Also a 12AT7 be used for the input triode and CPI,
since the gain will be more than double the 6SN7 case, and Vin could be
reduced to about 0.35vrms, for about 20 watts of output power,
and no preamp is needed, just a 50k gain pot.
Certainly with KT88 outputs, and with PO max = 28 watts AB1 triode,
there is plenty of sensitivity, and no need for a preamp.
The 12AT7 has moderately low Ra of around 20k at
Ia = 4 mA, and u = 55, so the gain will be around 35 for the input
triode, and the CPI will be extremely low distortion since gain
reduction is from around 32 to
about 2, and the signal level is low, since its a williamson balanced
voltage drive amp that does
most of the work to make the voltage drive to the output tubes.

I have heard music via a pair of pure class A 300B in PP, which give
around 18 watts,
and its very nice, and will give the SET boys some real worries, but
alas, PP has been out of favour
for some years at least.
About 28 watts class AB1 is possible, and considerably more in class
AB2,
but i've never ever actually made a class AB2 amp; I have always thought

it better to use 4 output tubes to get the extra power lazily, rather
than
work the guts out of just two tubes.
Therefore the low thd sweetzone of the amp is widened, over what one has
with just two outputs.
Plus the OPT is usually easier to wind, or a 5k to 4,8,16 OPT is easier
to source,
and we *want* a high value RL if we want a high % of class A, and
natural linearity.

Patrick Turner.

Some random reflections was CPI, RDH4, pg 523

Patrick Turner's dunny copy of the RDH fell open at the pinup on p523.
Those of you who still have the text parts of the RDH uselessly
attached to the pinups may read my accompanying thread on dealing
firmly with the RDH.

But Patrick, as ever incapable of keeping to the main idea, raises some
tangential points that need a reply. I've split off a subthread for
these side issues.

First Patrick says, directly as a conclusion to another subject he
discussed:
I'd still prefer to use cascaded low u triodes for the input drive

amp,
since the linearity is maybe 10 times better.

Sure and all, in days of yore before I had a stash of 417A and, more
important, learned from a lot of good, helpful Joenetters and RATs how
to use them, I didn't even think before reaching for a pair of 6SN7,
the most linear driver among the easily accessible and affordable
tubes.

It helps that the 6SN7 is beefy too, because, as I tried in years gone
by to explain to RATs, the implication of Miller is that you must use
enough current on the driver to suit the power tube's requirement. Slew
rate calculations for a reasonable HF bandwidth offer a shortcut both
to the thinking behind this and the math. (I can post something on
calculating this if anyone is interested.) My fave 417A is beefier
still, usually used at over 20mA on the plate, which is good all the
way up to 845 and Svet 572-xx.

Let's just pause here to say that a mickey mouse B9 tube looks like a
junior piece of plastic for kids building a little school project out
of their pocket money, an octal driver looks a bit more like real
glassware, and men drive their power tube with another power tube.
(Real men, as seen over in the Kilovolt Tube thread for Big Hairies,
have long since had their brains fried by overheated ozone in the
region of multikilovolt transmitters. Reckless *******s! Take a sperm
count, fellers. G)

Then Patrick goes off on the tangent that interests me:
But the Williamson with all 6SN7 with KT66 triode outputs, ( or

better,
KT88/6550/300B outputs ) and using 20 dB of GFB needs about 2vrms

input
for full power.

I'm not a big fan of the Williamson, because in a historical
perspective it set the entire audio industry off on a wild goose chase
of NFB fixes to self-induced diseases. But 2Vrms input was prophetic
and is really convenient these days: straight outta your CD player. I
like integrated stereo amps.

SNIP

Also a 12AT7 be used for the input triode and CPI,
since the gain will be more than double the 6SN7 case, and Vin could

be
reduced to about 0.35vrms, for about 20 watts of output power,
and no preamp is needed, just a 50k gain pot.

As it happens, I also like the 12AT7 for its precision, but the whole
point is to use the 12AT7 for its linearity rather than to hog it out.

Now, for those who don't know them, the 6SN7 and 12AT7 are crisp,
precise tubes. It used to be received wisdom that you didn't use two of
the same tubes in sequence because that would magnify their
disabilities. When I was still young enough to believe it smart to
smash ivory, I reckoned that if one 6SN7 is precise, two would magnify
the precision. Others think it results in an acid sound that rips off
your ears. (In sighted tests. In blind tests the same "experts" choose
the 2x 6SN7 drivers first over anything else except, sometimes, the
417A--which depends on high current rather than true inherent
linearity--and a 6SL7/ 6SN7 combo which is definitely warmer even if
less precise. See Steve Bench's netsite for some good silent driver
arrangements with these tubes.)

SNIPPED, PATRICK'S ARGUMENT TO LEAVE JUST THE DATA BECAUSE I'M ON
ANOTHER TRACK:
The 12AT7 has moderately low Ra of around 20k at
Ia = 4 mA, and u = 55,

MORE SNIP, DITTO

Now Patrick goes off on another tangent:
I have heard music via a pair of pure class A 300B in PP, which give
around 18 watts,
and its very nice, and will give the SET boys some real worries, but
alas, PP has been out of favour
for some years at least.

PSE 300B give 16W without the crossover distortion of PP. PP 300B are
not really out of favour. For instance, Lynn Olson, another
ultrafidelista opinion-former, built a PP 300B amp. The circuit is on
his netsite. Price the iron he requires to make it work as well as a
simple SE amp, then we can talk again about whether the additional
advantages of his approach are worth the cost, the effort, the
investment in a higher level of expertise, and so on. I admire Lynn's
amp as a work of art, but I spent my own time and money instead on
developing speakers that don't require such a monster.

One of my favourite amps, sitting on the floor at my right on hand of
this thread, just waiting to be plugged in when the current disk
finishes playing, is the Miyabe SEPP 300B (it is sold as a kit by
Triode Supply Japan, costing 1600 USD when I reviewed it for Glass
Audio a few years ago; see GA for a full discussion). SEPP is an
interesting and useful compromise.

About 28 watts class AB1 is possible,

Patrick Turner.

24W Class A1 out of triode-linked EL34PP will sound so much better.

It really does seem to me that any speakers which require more than 24W
must justify their existence. Since a 24W Class A1 EL34 PP amp is
relatively cheap and easy to design and build, any bigger amp must
therefore justify its existence.

Anything that hogs out more power, or requires much NFB to work, seems
to me like giving yourself the clap so you can prove how clever you are
by "curing" it with a bandaid.

Andre Jute

Here is Patrick's original in full:

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Sander deWaal

François Yves Le Gal said:

A properly designed push-pull amplifier doesn't exhibit xover distortion.

In his book "Modern High End Tube Amplifiers", Menno vdVeen describes
an effect in PP output transformers that resembles crossover, namely
the point of operation where the Weiss particles are forced to turn
because of the current swing from positive to negative.
I know, it's probably poorly translated from Dutch, but I suspect you
know what I mean.
Whether or not this effect is largely theoretical or clearly audible,
I don't know.
My class push pull KT88 in triode amps sound wonderful despite that.
(And yes, Andre, I like them over EL34s)

BTW, PSE is highly non linear - even when using closely matched tubes.

Agreed, but despite the apparent non-linearity, SE or PSE amps surely
have a huge crowd of fans. There must be a reason for it ;-)

(though not my cuppa tea, you will note)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Patrick Turner

Some random reflections was CPI, RDH4, pg 523

Patrick Turner's dunny copy of the RDH fell open at the pinup on p523.
Those of you who still have the text parts of the RDH uselessly
attached to the pinups may read my accompanying thread on dealing
firmly with the RDH.

But Patrick, as ever incapable of keeping to the main idea, raises some
tangential points that need a reply. I've split off a subthread for
these side issues.

The main idea was to tangentially shoot off with discussions
slightly away from what is already in RDH4 on this particualr subject,
and just talk around the idea of a bootstrapped pentode and CPI.
Doncha think everyone would be bored more than they might be already if
I didn't ramble OT a bit now and then?

One could consider what isn't written in a book, not only what is.

First Patrick says, directly as a conclusion to another subject he
discussed:
I'd still prefer to use cascaded low u triodes for the input drive

amp,
since the linearity is maybe 10 times better.

Sure and all, in days of yore before I had a stash of 417A and, more
important, learned from a lot of good, helpful Joenetters and RATs how
to use them, I didn't even think before reaching for a pair of 6SN7,
the most linear driver among the easily accessible and affordable
tubes.

Well, the 6SN7 *is* usually nice and linear, to be sure, but its also
sounds well.
But only most of the time, not all the time, when compared to different
brands of the same tube.

6CG7 were also made by cramming halves of 6SN7 into a 9 pin mini bottle,
then versions
of 6CG7 came out with smaller plates, grids, but with the same electronic
u, Ra, and gm.
IMHO, Telfunken sound the best overall, but Mullard are nicest with voices,
and the EH types I tried were horrid.
The linearity with all when I last *listened* to a both in a line stage was
all
below 0.01% thd, yet inexplicable sound differences were heard by the 4 of
us present.

Linearity is nice thing if its free, and and it is with a 6SN7, but that's
not all there is to it,
because its the sound that counts.
Finding ultimate listening pleasure is like trying to nail a nice smell to
the ground
so it won't move.

It helps that the 6SN7 is beefy too, because, as I tried in years gone
by to explain to RATs, the implication of Miller is that you must use
enough current on the driver to suit the power tube's requirement. Slew
rate calculations for a reasonable HF bandwidth offer a shortcut both
to the thinking behind this and the math. (I can post something on
calculating this if anyone is interested.) My fave 417A is beefier
still, usually used at over 20mA on the plate, which is good all the
way up to 845 and Svet 572-xx.

There are plenty of amps with 12AX7 drivers for octal outputs,
Leak 60 monos, Mullard 520, etc.
Measured BW isn't too bad.
Methinks having more current ability and lower Ra in driver tubes makes
more
a more detailed sound, despite the fact the miller effect is having
virtually
no effect at low levels, because the effect is also voltage
dependant, so the more voltage swing
you have, the more a wave at HF is affected by a given capacitance.

So replacing a 6CG7/6SN7 with say an EL84 in triode which is
equivalent almost exactly to 5 halves of a 6SN7 will give a perceivable
improvement in musical dynamics. I used not think that this does not
happen,
but too many people for whom I have built amps tell me that they
like the higher current drivers.
6V6 as a triode is also a nice driver tube.

Let's just pause here to say that a mickey mouse B9 tube looks like a
junior piece of plastic for kids building a little school project out
of their pocket money, an octal driver looks a bit more like real
glassware, and men drive their power tube with another power tube.
(Real men, as seen over in the Kilovolt Tube thread for Big Hairies,
have long since had their brains fried by overheated ozone in the
region of multikilovolt transmitters. Reckless *******s! Take a sperm
count, fellers. G)

What sayest thou? that there isn't anything unmanly about a
little nine pinner?

I reckon nine pinners work well, but it ain't anything much to do with
size.

( but anyway, if you have a small one, use it twice a night to
compensate...
and if she still divorces you, just tell the court....
...."well, I did try, your honour..." )

Then Patrick goes off on the tangent that interests me:
But the Williamson with all 6SN7 with KT66 triode outputs, ( or

better,
KT88/6550/300B outputs ) and using 20 dB of GFB needs about 2vrms

input
for full power.

I'm not a big fan of the Williamson, because in a historical
perspective it set the entire audio industry off on a wild goose chase
of NFB fixes to self-induced diseases. But 2Vrms input was prophetic
and is really convenient these days: straight outta your CD player. I
like integrated stereo amps.

Williamson's amp was just that tad too complex for me.
With a CD player output level, preamps are simply not
needed with most old tube amps.
And the Williamson was one of the most insensitive,
but also with a great snr.

If one uses 6SN7 thoughout with a mullard 520, instead
of EF86 and 12AX7, the open loop input voltage is far higher
than the approximtae 20 mV for full power with Mullard.

The SET + LTP is actually about 1/2 as sensitive than the
Williamson circuit with SET, CPI, and voltage amp, using the same triodes.

So if 20 dB of NFB is used, you need about a volt, rather more convenient,
and NFB can be reduced from the excessive 26 dB urged by Mullard.
18 dB is all I ever use, but 12AU7 allows for good sensitivity.

Leak made all his amps sensitive to 0.1vrms for full power,
something I would never do, for noise reasons,
and the fact that sources have more voltage these days.

But 0.1v sensitivity means that a single EF86 is all one needs for
the MM vinyl amp, and low outputs from radios was OK.

I just spent all evening at a friend's place comparing SE amps,
and the use of sensitivity where 0.6 vrms for 25 watts into 89
db speakers was just fine, and we never used more than
the 12 o'clock position on the gain control.

SNIP

Also a 12AT7 be used for the input triode and CPI,
since the gain will be more than double the 6SN7 case, and Vin could

be
reduced to about 0.35vrms, for about 20 watts of output power,
and no preamp is needed, just a 50k gain pot.

As it happens, I also like the 12AT7 for its precision, but the whole
point is to use the 12AT7 for its linearity rather than to hog it out.

Well, all my measurings of any 12AT7 show, that like the 6AQ8, and other
high gM triodes mainly for RF use, that the linearity isn't anywhere as
good as
6SN7, or 6CG7.
BUT, where the 12AT7 etc, is used as an input tube to an LTP
with low u triodes, the usual maximum signal is less than 10 vrms.
In this region, if RL of the SET input 12AT7 is a CCS, the thd can be kept
below 1%.
But it matters not if the RL is a generous value of ohms in a resistor
and max thd is higher because the range of operation where the tube is used

is far less than 10vrms, and the slight 2H is negligible.

Everytime I have replaced a 12AX7 which is more linear than 12AT7 and
at the input of a power amp, I have got a more precise sound, especially
with massed strings
and brass.
Linearity isn't everything....

12AY7 is also a nice tube for intermediate gain between a 12AX7
and 6SN7....

Now, for those who don't know them, the 6SN7 and 12AT7 are crisp,
precise tubes. It used to be received wisdom that you didn't use two of
the same tubes in sequence because that would magnify their
disabilities. When I was still young enough to believe it smart to
smash ivory, I reckoned that if one 6SN7 is precise, two would magnify
the precision. Others think it results in an acid sound that rips off
your ears.

Maybe more variables are involved than you indicate, and some not all that
explicable,
which I don't mind because not everything in life has to be able to be
explained.

(In sighted tests. In blind tests the same "experts" choose
the 2x 6SN7 drivers first over anything else except, sometimes, the
417A--which depends on high current rather than true inherent
linearity--and a 6SL7/ 6SN7 combo which is definitely warmer even if
less precise. See Steve Bench's netsite for some good silent driver
arrangements with these tubes.)

SNIPPED, PATRICK'S ARGUMENT TO LEAVE JUST THE DATA BECAUSE I'M ON
ANOTHER TRACK:
The 12AT7 has moderately low Ra of around 20k at
Ia = 4 mA, and u = 55,

MORE SNIP, DITTO

Now Patrick goes off on another tangent:
I have heard music via a pair of pure class A 300B in PP, which give
around 18 watts,
and its very nice, and will give the SET boys some real worries, but
alas, PP has been out of favour
for some years at least.

The PP 300B amp I last heard was a "Vincent" amp from a cheap supplier in
HK....
Not too much wrong with the sound I thought...

PSE 300B give 16W without the crossover distortion of PP. PP 300B are
not really out of favour.

Crossover distortion in class A PP triode amps?
Gee, I always thought there was none in pure class A PP.
But there is a smidgin of 3H; declining to zero as power is reduced,
wheras amps with Xover Dn display a hump in the amount of 3H
at about a watt to two, or more, because that's where the crossover point
between A and AB
is located, and there is this dynamic change in gain of the amp during the
cycle.
Triode amps are the most forgiving of all with AB, since few other odds are
made because of the
gradual turn off transfer function of the triodes.
Pentodes and beam tubes are sharp cut off, and you get
far worse odd orders at the Xover region, and because the multigrids have
gain
more determined by gm x RL, and gain varies more abruptly in the cycle,
since the Ra is high.

For instance, Lynn Olson, another
ultrafidelista opinion-former, built a PP 300B amp. The circuit is on
his netsite. Price the iron he requires to make it work as well as a
simple SE amp, then we can talk again about whether the additional
advantages of his approach are worth the cost, the effort, the
investment in a higher level of expertise, and so on. I admire Lynn's
amp as a work of art, but I spent my own time and money instead on
developing speakers that don't require such a monster.

My clients have not the tenacity and passion to develop or buy
sensitive speakers to allow low power SET amps to be used,
Alas, those who did delve into horns produced only boxes good for firewood.

They go right out and buy mainly 89 dB/W/M speakers.
One sat my room with a sound level meter, and wanted to see if
my SE35 amps produce the LF cone wobbles in my speakers (of that
sensitivity,) whilst
maintaining an average 95 dB SPL with some appalling rock and roll tunes.

I found 36 watts from an SE amp was still able to do the business,
and the amps were purchased.
I am compelled to use PSE, or one large power tube at least.

The bother is to make the sound musical, not bland, and not suppressed
sounding.
Real music lives, and sounds alive, and its what to expect from a system.

I will have to look at Mr Olson's site....

One of my favourite amps, sitting on the floor at my right on hand of
this thread, just waiting to be plugged in when the current disk
finishes playing, is the Miyabe SEPP 300B (it is sold as a kit by
Triode Supply Japan, costing 1600 USD when I reviewed it for Glass
Audio a few years ago; see GA for a full discussion). SEPP is an
interesting and useful compromise.

Well, as a result of tonight's earlier comparisons
between using amps with a single 13E1 in SEUL, and
amps with 4 x 6CA7 with CFB, ( like an SE version of Quad II, but with
4 KT66 ), I have to say the 13E1 was the more musically involving amp to
listen to.
I doubt more than a watt was used all evening, we played a pile of vinly
and CD.
The vinyl came from a Michel Gyrodec with latest upgrades, a very decent MC

and MC amp, the line stage is an SET with 6H30 in mu follower mode,
Wima caps, decent R, DACT attenutaors etc, nothing anyone could say was
crummy,
and even Nordost speaker cabling.
Speakers are Vienna Acoustic Motzarts, bases full of sand, with a
sub-woofer powered
to subtle but vital levels with a nice SS amp and control box.
( I may have finally got a good sub recipe.)
Dame Joan Sutherland singing in 1962 Galetea with large orchestra was
absolutely breathtaking.
Who could ever say valves and vinyl cannot be accurate, refreshing,
noiseless, and plain stunning? Even with ancient old records...
Bill Evans, Miles Davis, wow.....

I came away thinking that perhaps it'd be better to
swap the 12BH7 I have driving the 4 x 6CA7 with a lone 6BQ5 in triode,
and not be so concerned about choosing a triode driver whose
increase in thd from wo to go is about the same as the SECFB output stage,
so that with 5 ohms, the 2H cancellation is so complete across 3/4
of the whole power range that thd is less than many PP amps.
One only gets a lot of 2H cancellation across a range of load values;
between 3 and 6 ohms is where cancellation is most desirable.
But necessary? I am left wondering.

The SE35 with 6CA7 has 12 dB less thd than the SEUL at 1 watt
and with 5 ohms.
At 1 watt, the SEUL 13E1 has about 0.05%, and its virtually all 2H.
The SE35 thd has other harmonics, 3H, 4H and 5H, but
these are at the 0.01% level, and obvious on the CRO because the 2H is
missing.
Both lots of amps use about the same amount of applied NFB.
Some NFB is required, because Rout from UL, or CFB amps
is always too high without NFB.

I don't really think thd measurements mean much if the levels are below
0.1%.

So I am left with co-relating what I hear to what engineering I shall use
based on a concept of mustering the better sonics associated with a driver
with higher
idle current.
I have a hunch better music can be had, with a leetle further
tinkering.....

About 28 watts class AB1 is possible,

Patrick Turner.

24W Class A1 out of triode-linked EL34PP will sound so much better.

It really does seem to me that any speakers which require more than 24W
must justify their existence. Since a 24W Class A1 EL34 PP amp is
relatively cheap and easy to design and build, any bigger amp must
therefore justify its existence.

But why not just use a pair of KT90?
Pd rating is twice the EL34's, so PO could be a lot more.

I heard real music from Joe Rasmussen's "Forced Symetry" PP amps in 1996,
at a hi-fi store demo here in the ACT.
These were *very* modified Dynaco MkIII, with KT90 in triode,
600v on the plates, and which gave 40 watts, AB1, to power Duntech
speakers.
20 people were present on the saturday to hear Allen Wright
give everyone a lecture about FS, and how it worked.
I wasn't so sure FS was such a big deal, and I had more than a few words
to say in the ASON newsletter in the following months.
But, fact is, the KT90 triodes were doin it ok, and I doubt
a pair of EL34 could have.
But the venue was a large room with 20 ppl, so fairly high levels were
needed,
nobody saw any cone shuffle, or heard any clipping.

Anything that hogs out more power, or requires much NFB to work, seems
to me like giving yourself the clap so you can prove how clever you are
by "curing" it with a bandaid.

What's much NFB?

To me it is as much as Mullard would have deemed correct in 1960.
Good for sales ppl to brag about.
Good for nothing else.
And a large amount can only be used with
a lot of phase tweaking circuitry in place, and with a really good OPT.
Alas, ppl try using lots of NFB without either.....

24 watts from a pair of EL34 in A1 PP triode is a lot,
and its very AB, ie, not a lot of class A.
12 watts in triode from a pair is more like one would get in
pure class A, but when a quad of EL34 are used,
then you can have a more reasonable 30 watts class AB,
but with a lot more A%.

THEN you can still have a high RL a-a, thus usually
have a high OPT impedance ratio.
Thus the Ra-a is transformed down at the sec
to a much lower figure than with just two EL34 with a low Z ratio OPT.

So if Ra-a is 1,300 ohms with a quad of tubes,
and OPT is 7k to 5 ohms, then
Rout = 0.928 ohms, and if Rw = 0.25 ohms,
total Rout without any loop FB is around 1.2 ohms.

thd at 25 watts = 1%,
so at 1 watt, its = 0.2% or less, mainly 3H,
and I leave it to better minds than mine to decide if that
is seriously awful enough to scurry away to the aid of
say 9 dB of global NFB to reduce the thd to
below 0.1%.
1 watt gives perhaps 90 dB SPL, and
is well above what my average listening levels are, so I could get away
with
no global NFB, and just let the natural NFB inside the tubes do its
work because we have the tubes operating in mainly voltage mode,
not current mode.

The Allen Wright / Joe Rasmussen camp
reckoned in 1996 that one only needs enough global FB applied
around a triode amp to reduce Ro to give a sufficiently good damping factor

and not a stitch more, for reasons to do with delays, and that delays of
the
micro-detail signal can't be fixed with NFB.
And in fact, the more NFB applied, the worse things get, they opined.
"Micro-detail" isn't explained in RDH4, or any other texts I am aware of,
but its a modern way of describing the sonics of musical differences heard
between amps, speakers etc, which are not fully explainable simply
in terms of thd, imd, or phase shifts.
Anyway, I figured that for low NFB, or none at all,
a low amount of phase shift and literal delay was a plus in any amp
*before* any global NFB was applied, so a really beaut OPT
is needed if you don't use any global NFB.

The NFB user camp says that a poor open loop response with
a poor OPT is OK because NFB will correct the delay, ie, the phase shift,
and push the sagging response back up level.
Plenty of accountants in the pro-lots-of NFB camp.

I have always thought a wide bandwidth OPT is desirable whether you use NFB
or not.

Then when some NFB is used, there is little "delay", or micro-detail
errors to fix, and the sound isn't smeared.

In two demos at ASON meetings in 1997, Joe and I were able to demo amps
which
used a somewhat different attitude to NFB.
In the first demo, his amps used about 6 dB around 4 6550 PP triodes, mine
used 16 dB
around 2 6550 in UL, and there was no majority conclusion reached by the
gathered audiophiles that global NFB was an evil beast it had been made out
to be.
In the second demo, my SEUL amps humbled Joe somewhat,
and I overheard a dude during the coffee break
say to a mate, " this shows NFB don't **** up the SE sound, eh "

I recieved a lot of conflicting comments during the days I spent
with the fellas, but I do remember thay stayed late to hear the music,
and I saw a sea of smiles.

It does not mean much, but I remain flexible about NFB....

Each unto his own.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

mick

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:44:04 +0100, François Yves Le Gal wrote:

snip

Mr. Jute has a very long and very disturbed history on the Internet. I
believe that he belongs to a psychiatric institution.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2... 1&sa=N&tab=wg

I extracted one of the posts from that same link:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2....co m&rnum=11
Which side belonged in an institution? - No, don't continue this. Its
gone, dead & buried. We don't want to revive old wars, there are enough
current ones to be going on with. ;-)

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Chris Hornbeck

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:24:54 +0100, François Yves Le Gal
wrote:

It's IMO very theoretical and at the molecular level, i.e. two or three
orders of magnitude below perceptible levels.

The flat spot on the B-H curve is easily observable; try it for
yourself.

Agreed, but despite the apparent non-linearity, SE or PSE amps surely
have a huge crowd of fans. There must be a reason for it ;-)

The main reason? Most people don't understand how an amp works and follow
the audiophool of the month.

Doubtless a contributing factor, but not the whole story.

Chris Hornbeck
Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:23:45 +0100, François Yves Le Gal
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:05:16 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

The flat spot on the B-H curve is easily observable; try it for
yourself.

It is, but it's not caused by any form of Weiss-related phenomenon.

http://www.beigebag.com/case_xfrmer_4.htm

This is an interesting reference, but is unrelated to the
issue (based on a quick look; I'm off to the opry). The
B-H curve also has a small flat spot near zero crossing. This is
the one and only reason anyone would ever bother with the
single-ended amplifier grief.

But for some, who have tried it and found it significant,
it is surprisingly important. Surprised the **** outta me,
anyway. Who knew?

Off to "The Tender Land",

Chris Hornbeck

Yo, Mick:

I never heard of Le Gal before today but I too looked up the URL he
gives. Beyond the first message, which can be checked as factual, it
consists, as far as I can see, entirely of unproven accusations against
me, typical Magnequest Scum/Pinkerton ad hominem flamebait; notice how
I just ignored it.. Perhaps this pompous little French fascist Francois
Yves Le Gal believes I should submit myself to the Code Napoleon and
just accept guilt by accusation. (Or do you think Le Gal's English is
so poor he doesn't understand what goes on in that thread?)

Then, unbelievably, he excuses his stupidity by resurrecting a hoary
old Magnequest Scum chestnut, that anyone with a kind word to say for
me is a sock puppet. Convenient, as it relieves the usual run of morons
we get on RAT of the obligation of invdividual thought. Incidentally,
several members of the Magnequest Scum actually spoke to Mr Beresford
in their efforts to intimidate him into withdrawing his damning
report... But Le Gal isn't about to let the facts get in his the way of
his malice.

You don't need to be Freud to discover Le Gal's motive for his slimy
character assassinations. I can reveal that Mr Le Gal's motive is that
he once built an amplifier with Magnequest transformers; he has
confessed to it. That's enough to warp anyone's judgement for life.

I wouldn't mind the quarterwits that hang around RAT so much if they
would just be consistent and a spot less slimy. But this hypocritical
evolue (1) Le Gal complains about the Magnequest flame wars being
hauled up again on the same day as he hurls a googleful of discredited
Magnescum character assasinations against my head. Half these morons
are in a thread (Dogs) whining about flame wars--while carrying on a
flame war on me, some of them like the blustering butcher's boy
Stouffer right in that thread.

Andre Jute.
PS Soon Le Gal will discover Mick is my sock puppet. Who wants to bet
money on it?

(1) jumped-up barracks-room lawyer from the provinces

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:44:04 +0100, Fran=E7ois Yves Le Gal wrote:

snip

Mr. Jute has a very long and very disturbed history on the

Internet. I
believe that he belongs to a psychiatric institution.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=3D...Dfr&lr=3D&c =
2coff=3D1&sa=3DN&tab=3Dwg

I extracted one of the posts from that same link:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=3D...3D10&hl=3Df =
r&lr=3D&c2coff=3D1&selm=3D6vcac4%24dh2%241%40nnrp1 .dejanews.com&rnum=3D11

Patrick Turner wrote:
Crossover distortion in class A PP triode amps?

In the present atmosphere on RAT I can only conclude that you and Phil
met behind my back in the basement of the John Curtin Hotel and
conspired for a lark not to tell me it was a Class A amp we were taling
about.

Never mind, I forgive you all your sins.

Andre Jute

PS Not to make a big argument with you but-- There are tiny but very
real issues here which lead back to the superiority of SE amps, but I
imagine we'd better get around to subtle detail work when the present
silicon heckler has become bored and buggered off.

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

wrote:

The flat spot on the B-H curve is easily observable; try it for
yourself.

It is, but it's not caused by any form of Weiss-related phenomenon.

http://www.beigebag.com/case_xfrmer_4.htm

This is an interesting reference, but is unrelated to the
issue (based on a quick look; I'm off to the opry). The
B-H curve also has a small flat spot near zero crossing. This is
the one and only reason anyone would ever bother with the
single-ended amplifier grief.

When I first hit on my harmonic distribution theory about what makes
some amps sound right while others which measure better (in total)
chilled me, I was so amazed when tests showed really tiny percentage
differences that I had the test repeated while I read Olson again to
discover where I went wrong. I didn't go wrong. I just didn't know as
much as I thought I did, even though I was trained as a psychologist
and in advertising had a larger market research budget than anyone else
and spent very much of it on placebo testing (what the poseurs who
haunt audio newsgroups call ABX testing). It wasn't rocket science to
conclude that there are subliminal reactions whose result we can see,
if rather faintly, but for which we cannot describe the cause with any
precision. Though I would be delighted if it turns out to be something
as easily described as the width of a flat spot on a B-H curve, I
rather doubt any effect in audio is really that singular or even
straightforward.

But for some, who have tried it and found it significant,
it is surprisingly important. Surprised the **** outta me,
anyway. Who knew?

You're following through on a thread I started, Chris.

I knew as early as 1992 when I returned to tubes. I suspect a handful
of American hobbyists knew. The Japanese knew by osmosis and I wouldn't
be surprised to discover that Jean Hiraga described the effect.

There's something surprising here at the psycho-acoustic interface. As
I have noted before, in blind tests professional musicians prefer Class
A1 PP triodes to even 300B single ended often enough to be
statistically indicative. Professioanl musicians are, as far as I can
tell, no more sensitive to phase than the general body of experienced
audiophiles. However, people of any persausion who are sensitive to
phase are also likely to choose SE. Connection? Anomaly? Who knows. By
the time I realized there was something near enough statisticically
significant in it to justify further tests the listening groups were
dispersed and I just lack the time (and it must be said the motivation
to commit expense and time for results that will be sneered and jeered
at by slime like this French jerk Le Gal for the 'scientific' reason
that he doesn't like me).

Off to "The Tender Land",

Do report back. Just checked my record catalogue and I don't have a
copy so I can't even listen along with you on record.

Chris Hornbeck

Andre Jute
Listening to Bob van Asperen playing CPE Bach's Prussian and Wurtemburg
Sonatas on the harpsichord.
Using my Miyabe (Triode Supply, Japan VPD3000 in Oz for some weird
reason) SEPP 300B and ESL63. A super clean sound, but when my cat gets
off my lap I will plug in the 57s which are truly ideally suited to the
harpsichord.

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:16:37 +0100, François Yves Le Gal
wrote:

"Why is there a gap or 'hole' in the middle of a typical B-H curve? What
causes this?

I don't know.

Personally, I've found that anyone who claims to understand magnetism
*or* electricity is trying to blow smoke up your ass. Maxwell's
silver hammer.

The zero-crossing flat spot is easily observable by anyone
interested, and has the same effect as crossover distortion
in underbiased gain stages. Don't take my word for it;
test to your own satisfaction.

You may also have a look at Magnetics Designer
http://www.intusoft.com/mag.htm

A beautifully made web page, and probably a worthwhile program,
but not applicable to this discussion. We're not talking about
a large signal problem. In audio, one of the
most dangerous assumptions is of monotonicity. We assume that
as signal levels get smaller, all bad things in our designs
will also get smaller.

There are, unfortunately, several exceptions to this rule, and
iron cores are one of those exceptions. Magnetic tape would be
too, if it weren't so noisy. "Crossover distortion" is the best
known example. And all of these errors in monotonicity are
cured with bias.

Chris Hornbeck
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

"Why is there a gap or 'hole' in the middle of a typical B-H curve? What
causes this?

I don't know.

Personally, I've found that anyone who claims to understand magnetism
*or* electricity is trying to blow smoke up your ass. Maxwell's
silver hammer.

The zero-crossing flat spot is easily observable by anyone
interested, and has the same effect as crossover distortion
in underbiased gain stages. Don't take my word for it;
test to your own satisfaction.

Even better, don't use an output transformer!

Patrick Turner

wrote:

[...]

With the experiments I have done using iron cored inductors in PP
drive amp circuits, such as one may have in an IST, and where
the source resistance is high, the iron caused distortion is as
bad as crossover distortion in the output stage of a poorly biased
PP pair of output tubes.

For this reason, I cannot ever recommend pentode use to drive a
PP IST, because of the mainly 3H produced at precisely the level at which we
want
low thd, ie, aty low levels.

With extremely low signals, the inductive reactance of the coil, ZL,
is very low, so gain is low, and then as voltage is increased, ZL also
increases, so
you get a sine wave that tends to have flats at the zero crossing, and this
is in effect
the fundemental plus a 3H signal that tends to peak up the fundemental, and
this 3H
is of opposite phase to the sort of 3H which causes flattening of the peaks
of the fundemental
With iron wounds, the flattening occurs sure enough when voltage signals
become very high,
since the ZL during a cycle is non linear.

The practical answer to minimising problems caused by iron distortion is to
use a low source resistance.

The actual iron cored impedance during a cycle could be modelled
using diodes and R components, and their finite value can be established, and
its this model network
which is strapped across the load we may want to drive, which is also
a parallel resistance or impedance with the source resistance.

So if we choose to use a pair of 6AU6 with an IST, we will get some really
poor response curves and distortion quantities unless we are very prudent
with NFB, or passive resistors strapped across the windings.
AFAIK, it is very difficult to model a diodes + resistances nework to cancel
out the
iron wound item's change in impedance at different voltage levels, since a
large
F range is involved.

The 6AU6 would have Ra-a of around 2 megohms.
If Lp is say 100H, the LF pole is at 3.2 kHz, and if Cshunt of the L is 200pF

to each end of the primary, then the HF pole is at 800Hz.
This all indicates that you will never see the HF or LF poles where one would
expect
them.

Looking at the wave forms at almost any F will reveal attrocious levels of
odd order
distortion, because the non linear proerties of the iron will dominate the
load seen by the pentodes, and gain = about gm x RL.

Using 50k across the 1/2 primaries would make a reasonable load for a
reasonable
amount of gain from the 6AU6, and then for 100H, the
LF pole would be about 160 Hz, and HF pole at 16 kHz.
Its still very poor, and thd would be a varying amount at various output
voltages and F,
and be quite attrocious and intolerable, and the iron non linear "mystery
impedance"
is still a large % of the total load seen by the pentodes, and perhaps
it varies with voltage and F between 10k and 200k+.
Its not unsual to calculate a saturation voltage of say 100 vrms for 50 Hz
for the IST primary, when iron Dn will rise to say 10% or more
and be all odd order, and still be a few % at 10vrms.
The use of GOSS will improbve matters enormously, but still Dn will be
way above what the tubes are making at 10vrms.

Consider triodes.

Say we use triodes, with Ra-a = 4k, ( could be a pair of
EL84 in triode, Ia = 20 mA, common cathodes, in an LTP driver.)
RL shunting Lp can be omitted, or perhaps only consist of an R + C
connected across the secondary, or 1/2 secondaries in a CT sec.
R loading is only required at HF, hence the careful RC load.

Then with 100H, the LF pole = 6.37 Hz, ok,
and HF pole is at 400 kHz, also ok.

But there is still the rotten non linear iron impedance,
but we will find that the Dn at low voltages may not exceed 0.1 %
Its not uncommon to be able to plot the Dn
to rise from zero vo to 0.1% at say 10vrms, then it falls to
0.02% at 50v, then it rises again until its a lot at saturation,
which is at a voltage we will never be using, and so does not matter.

Readers should now refer to the schematic at
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/websch...ma550w335h.gif
In this we see a PP LTP driver circuit to drive a dozen KT88s, although
it also works well for 2 x KT88, or any other output stage needing a low thd
drive voltage
with a high voltage ceiling if we have a high enough B+.

There is a an L with CT used to feed the EL84 in triode of the LTP.

Now these triodes are set up with some local current current FB in the form
of 470 ohm cathode resistors, which in this case are partially bypassed
with 100 ohms + 0.0082 uF to compensate for the phase lag and gain drop
in the circuit, but without causing any stability problems.
The 470 ohms do increase the Ra-a effectively
to 24 kohms.
There is 9.4 kohms in series with the ends of the
L and the anodes, so at extremes of F the Lp ans Csh
does not shunt the tube output, so the gain variation is controlled,
along with phase shift.
In this case the Lp consists of thousands of turns around a GOSS core
of 32 stack of 25 tongue, and ungapped, and U max = 5,000 at 50 Hz.
So the maximum L allowing for frequency is well above
100H max and the L mainly acts to increase the impedance of the DC carrying
elements to the triodes, so they enjoy a very high load impedance
for all of the audio band, and so tube Dn is minimised so that at 200vrms
a-a,
Dn is less than 1%.
Iron caused Dn is also very low, and I found the use of the
series R did allow some distortion to appear at the coil ends, but less at
the triode
anodes, since the 9,4 k R and Ra of the triodes form a divider, lessening the

capricious iron effcts to ruin our music.
The iron Dn never rises above 0.1% at any voltage, and since I have
GNFB, the low level Dn for the amp was less than 0.2% at around 20 watts.

Now since I addopted this little used technique of iron cored coils
*plus* resistances in series, I have now omitted the 470 ohm Rk from such
triode circuits,
and found that EL84 in triode as set up with a low stress Ia of less than 20
mA each
will last forever, and they don't drift at DC and the current FB isn't
needed, and thus
with commoned cathodes the compensation networks across the k-k
and Rk are all not needed.
The 9.4 k in series with each anode and LP ends can be reduced to 4.7k.
Thus Ra-a is only 4k, not 24k, and the iron caused Dn seen at each anode is
reduced about 4 times to negligible levels, and you have a fine
driver stage free of the phase shifting, gain zapping effects of the
parasitic
Lp and Csh, so GFB can be used around the whole circuit if desired, or not
desired,
and still the driver Dn will always be low, and a *lot* lower than
if you have dc carrying resistors of say 10k only between anodes and the B+.

It would be possible to use an air gapped core, but then for
this sort of item to work, the turns have to be increased, and core,
and the LF pole is higher, since Lp is a lower value once you gap.
But Lp is amore constant value, and it changes less during a cycle, so there
is less Dn.

The alternative to setting up a driver with such an efficient load
configurationn is to use a pair
of high voltage transistors to make a pair of CCS.
But in the way I ahve done it the CT choke acts partially like a transformer,

an the outputs are locked a bit together magnetically.

For where GNF is very low, it is possible to omit the series R between
LP and the EL84 anodes, and just rely on the high inductance with
low shunt C to give enough bandwidth because Ra-a is so low.
In this case the two driver tubes are combined in action very well, as they
operate together on the load, and unlike an LTP with purely R loads, the
LTP with a centre tapped auto transformer will have a much better ability to
work into
a low load, so any variations of load are better handled.
The right sort of inductor will minimise Dn to negligible levels.

But often we see THD profiles of an amp start off at below noise at 0.0
watts, and then
inexplicably leap to 0.02% at 3 watts, then slowly rise slightly faster than
a straight line with output voltage to say
0.25% at clipping.
Its the typical profile of a class AB amp with GNFB.
The sudden increase in 3H at the start of the amps power curve is the iron
plus tubes.
0.02% at 3 watts is quite OK.

People I know have tried this driver technique for SE amps, where the choke
is a gapped one
carrying DC, but able to provide a high dynamic impedance to the triode
driver,
and with a series R, to "isolate the parasitics" and yet avoid loading the
driver tube down
with a low resistance, and paying the penalty of
12 dB more driver thd.
They have told me they liked the sound.

But in an SE amp, perfect, or close to perfect linearity in a driver tube
where the output tube produces say 4% of 2H at full power,
there is little cancellation of 2H from the driver triode.
I Have found it isn't necessary to persue perfect even order distortion
cancellations between driver stages and outputs, because SE amps are never
used near the
levels where Dn has climbed to their max, and much varied load valuesof
speakers prevent
the gains of the tubes and the thd quantities from staying constant , so
cancellation
can only occur substantially across a limited range of load values.
Put more simply, *distortion voltage* cancellation in SE amps is far more
difficult
to achieve than *distortion current* cancellation in PP amps.

The iron caused distortion in an SE OPT is very low at first, because
iron is biased magnetically in one direction, so changes in field strengths
and
L impedance for small signal changes are generaly very low, and linear in
each direction,
so the iron caused Dn in an SE amp at normal low levels used is usually
quite utterly negligible.
Some would say the SE amp thus performs sonically better than the PP amp.

BUt alas I see not a huge amount of evidence to support this idea
universally.
AND, one of the very best sounding amps I have ever had the luck of the gods
to construct has plain old non oriented iron cores, maximum U = 3,500,
and its measurements indicate there isn't much of a problem with the iron at
all,
although there is a fair bit of iron Dn at 14 Hz and at 50 watts, when
saturation
has begun.
One would expect more observable iron Dn at higher F but
the Dn seen is that which one would only ever expect from the tubes,
ie, 1% at 50 watts into 8 ohms with a quad of 6550 with
12.5% of CFB, and no GNFB.
The thd declines almost linearly with output voltage and
without the tell tale hump at low levels.

RDH4 gives a formula for calculation of the iron Dn using
a graph for GOSS of the 1955 era.
AFAIK, the latest GOSS I use generates far less Dn than anything from 1955.

Unfortunately, I have had not the time to learn the university physics and
math
associated with electro magnetics, so I am no expert.
But how many experts have any relationship with audio transformer
behaviour of the items they wind?

I just wind things, and carefully measure them, and if they work under
any expected conditions, they are accepted.
If not, its back to the drawing board and another read of my books.

Some experts are just drips turned off.

Patrick Turner.

The lelsslwthn with Is cre n In

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:20:11 +0100, François Yves Le Gal
wrote:

And all of these errors in monotonicity are
cured with bias.

Or dither.

I've had to think (Please stop! Anything but that!) a lot
about this, and can almost agree with this viewpoint. You
obviously mean something more than the semantic similarity
to D/A conversion and have a larger conceptual framework.

Taken to an extreme, it raises a question: could transformer
iron's zero-crossing discontinuities be avoided with actual
(ultrasonic?) dither?

IOW, is a flat spot problem solvable by randomizing all small
signals sufficiently? This is what's done in D/A conversions,
and in any digital word-length shortening, and could be
considered to be what's done in magnetic tape recording.

Thanks for a very interesting question,

Chris Hornbeck
Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:32:21 +0000 (UTC), Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

Even better, don't use an output transformer!

Or, use high impedance speakers. (QUAD... ! )

Your point's well taken that low-perveance electronics
couples poorly with low-impedance loads. I'd guess that
you and I would disagree conceptually only on the relative
importance of various issues.

Intrinsic linearity, monotonicity, headroom (not to be
scoffed at), classical issues of nonlinear distortion
products, group delay errors, etc., harmonic multiplication,
resistance to out-of-band-signal overloads of many kinds,
bla bla bla.

We all draw our individual weightings of lots of factors
into even something as relatively simple as an audio
amplifier. There's a good reason why religion and politics
aren't discussed at the dinner table. Too bloody
complicated!

Thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
Patrick Turner

wrote:

And all of these errors in monotonicity are
cured with bias.

Or dither.

I've had to think (Please stop! Anything but that!) a lot
about this, and can almost agree with this viewpoint. You
obviously mean something more than the semantic similarity
to D/A conversion and have a larger conceptual framework.

Taken to an extreme, it raises a question: could transformer
iron's zero-crossing discontinuities be avoided with actual
(ultrasonic?) dither?

Anyone would think that the zero crossing non linearity is a serious
problem.
It is not a problem in OPTs that have good material and are well
designed, as I pointed
out in recent posts with clear examples.

So why oh why would anyone want to place a 50 kHz bias oscillator
in a tube amps?

It would be impossible, since stability problems are bad enough without
adding a supersonic oscillator.

IOW, is a flat spot problem solvable by randomizing all small
signals sufficiently? This is what's done in D/A conversions,
and in any digital word-length shortening, and could be
considered to be what's done in magnetic tape recording.

Thanks for a very interesting question,

Chris Hornbeck

HF bias on an OPT is a solution looking for a problem.

Its been thought of before, and the idea discarded.

But don't let us stop you building a prototype.

If you are going to have a bias HF current, why not go the whole hog,
and
use pulse width modulation, and/or make a digital amplifier.

Patrick Turner.

RdM

Patrick Turner writes:
:
:
: wrote:
:
[...]

Has it? By whom, where, when?

: But don't let us stop you building a prototype.
:
: If you are going to have a bias HF current, why not go the whole hog,
: and
: use pulse width modulation, and/or make a digital amplifier.

Like http://www.davidberning.com/ ?

Patrick Turner

RdM wrote:

snip a bit,

: HF bias on an OPT is a solution looking for a problem.
:
: Its been thought of before, and the idea discarded.

Has it? By whom, where, when?

I don't know who, but just about every possible way to connect tubes
up with all possible signals has been explored, and had there been money
to be made using HF bias in a tube power amp, you'd expect it to have been
done.
So I can safely assume it has been tried by somebody, sometime,
but obviously the benefits are zero since nothing came of whoever tried it.
The idea may never have got off drawing board it seems.

: But don't let us stop you building a prototype.
:
: If you are going to have a bias HF current, why not go the whole hog,
: and
: use pulse width modulation, and/or make a digital amplifier.

Like http://www.davidberning.com/ ?

That's the place I had in mind.
Some how I find myself thinking that using bottles to do what is better done
with power transistors
or mosfets is a waste of glassware.
I could be wrong, but bottles are great for analog amps.

Digital amps will become a more common reality perhaps, and buyers will have
more of a choice to make. So what?

Maybe somebody invents a HF biased power amp successfully and
maybe its doable, but I see only huge problems.
Somebody must have thought about it before, and concluded similarly.

But for the home diyer not concerned about making a buck,
its an avenue of latter day audio research that may bear fruit.
I hope its taste is sweet.

Patrick Turner.

FT

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message ...

RdM wrote:

snip a bit,

[...]

You are wrong about Berning's amps, Patrick. David Berning builds extremely linear all triode tube amps using sweep
tubes connected as triodes, but with G1 connected to the cathode and G2 being driven. With some sweep tubes this can
give dramatically better linearity than the conventional method of connecting G2 to the plate and driving G1.

He then further improves linearity by using a solid state impedance converter (similar to a SMPS) which avoids most of
the nonlinearities associated with conventional output xfmrs and presents a higher impedance load to the triode output
tubes than is practical with conventional output xfmrs.

His amps aren't very efficient but very few conventional amps can compete with their sonics.

FT

Digital amps will become a more common reality perhaps, and buyers will have
more of a choice to make. So what?

Maybe somebody invents a HF biased power amp successfully and
maybe its doable, but I see only huge problems.
Somebody must have thought about it before, and concluded similarly.

But for the home diyer not concerned about making a buck,
its an avenue of latter day audio research that may bear fruit.
I hope its taste is sweet.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:59:20 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Anyone would think that the zero crossing non linearity is a serious
problem.

War, oppression and starvation are serious problems. Homemade
audio amplifiers are diversions.

It is not a problem in OPTs that have good material and are well
designed, as I pointed
out in recent posts with clear examples.

I'll just have to remain unconvinced. My personal experience
has been otherwise, but that's why it takes all kinds to fill
the freeways.

So why oh why would anyone want to place a 50 kHz bias oscillator
in a tube amps?

An oscillator would not perform the function of dithering, which
requires true randomness, like broadband (or colored broadband)
noise.

It would be impossible, since stability problems are bad enough without
adding a supersonic oscillator.

Stability is independent of (small-ish) signal presence. If not,
you've got bigger problems to solve first anyway.

Nobody has yet commented on whether dither is even an appropriate
solution. I think probably not, but I've been wrong *lots*. And
it would be particularly interesting to be wrong about this.

Thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
Patrick Turner

FT wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message ...

RdM wrote:

snip a bit,

[...]

I am not an expert on Berning amps.
I though he was doing a kind of digital amp, or an amp that worked like a SMPS.

With all grids tied together, sure, you get a different sort of triode
compared to g1 drive or g2 drive.
Everytime I have tried G2 drive, I wasn't convinced it was worth the effort.
I have not tried g2+g1 together.

Have you any plate data curves for such an arrangement?

He then further improves linearity by using a solid state impedance converter (similar to a SMPS)

You have lost me.....

which avoids most of
the nonlinearities associated with conventional output xfmrs and presents a higher impedance load to the triode output
tubes than is practical with conventional output xfmrs.

His amps aren't very efficient but very few conventional amps can compete with their sonics.

I have never heard or seen a real one.

Maybe you are right.

Patrick Turner.

FT

Digital amps will become a more common reality perhaps, and buyers will have
more of a choice to make. So what?

Maybe somebody invents a HF biased power amp successfully and
maybe its doable, but I see only huge problems.
Somebody must have thought about it before, and concluded similarly.

But for the home diyer not concerned about making a buck,
its an avenue of latter day audio research that may bear fruit.
I hope its taste is sweet.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

wrote:

Anyone would think that the zero crossing non linearity is a serious
problem.

War, oppression and starvation are serious problems. Homemade
audio amplifiers are diversions.

It is not a problem in OPTs that have good material and are well
designed, as I pointed
out in recent posts with clear examples.

I'll just have to remain unconvinced. My personal experience
has been otherwise, but that's why it takes all kinds to fill
the freeways.

I just don't see a great deal of evidence that at the zero crossing point
at any signal level that there is a huge amount of distortion that warrants
much intervention.

So why oh why would anyone want to place a 50 kHz bias oscillator
in a tube amps?

An oscillator would not perform the function of dithering, which
requires true randomness, like broadband (or colored broadband)
noise.

It would be impossible, since stability problems are bad enough without
adding a supersonic oscillator.

Stability is independent of (small-ish) signal presence. If not,
you've got bigger problems to solve first anyway.

Nobody has yet commented on whether dither is even an appropriate
solution. I think probably not, but I've been wrong *lots*. And
it would be particularly interesting to be wrong about this.

I have an open mind, and it seems you wanna tickle the iron molecules arouns
a bit,
kinda like distracting them from misbehaving at each zero crossing point.

I don't know how you'd do that, without applying a signal across the
primary.

The amp wouldn't like it, unless it has high Rout at the frequencies of the
noise.
But hey, maybe its doable if Fnoise is all above 50 khz, and you only want a
small
"dither" signal.
A pink noise source above 50 khz might do,
and could be applied to the secondary.
Just a small voltage, only 0.5 v max, not enough to upset speakers....
It could injected from the high impedance of a collector circuit of a couple
of power transistors.

Then rig an on-off switch, to test if it makes any difference.

Patrick Turner.

Thanks,

Chris Hornbeck

Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:59:01 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

[...]

Perzactly my thought. Anyway, I've written to an acquaintance who's
a math monster, and hopefully he can answer the question of
whether the whole idea is as conceptually bogus as it seems.

Thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:48:03 +1100, Patrick Turner
wrote:

He then further improves linearity by using a solid state impedance converter (similar to a SMPS)

You have lost me.....

You're not missing anything.

Chris Hornbeck
FT

FT wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message ...

RdM wrote:

snip a bit,

[...]

Hi Patrick,

Berning doesn't tie the grids together, he ties G1 to the cathode (along with G3). G2 becomes the driven grid.

Audio magazine had a cover story many years ago on a 100W/ch Berning amp that used this scheme with a conventional OT.
They included curves for the output tubes in conventional triode mode (G1 driven, G2 tied to the plate) and Berning's
triode connection. The curves were dramatically more linear with Berning's hook up, especially near the cutoff end of
the curves. This allowed Berning to run his amps very near class B (3mA ilding current per tube, IIRC) without the
distortion this would cause in a conventional triode PP amp.

The downside is that 5 times more drive signal is required in this mode, thus my comment that his amps are not exactly
efficient. I have a 30W/ch Berning amp (with a conventional OT), and the cathode followers that drive the output tubes
have 800V across them (+500V on the plates, -300V to the cathode resistors) to get the voltage swing required to drive
the output stage to 30 watts.

I have a superficial understanding of the switch mode impedance converter he's using in place of an OT in his newer
amps, but better minds than mine have become hopelessly confused trying to analyze the circuit ;-)

FT

[...]

Patrick Turner

FT wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message ...

RdM wrote:

snip a bit,

[...]

Well that's plain old G2 drive.
Its very linear sometimes, and gives you a
high Ra triode with low U.

[...]

Could I assume the use of a conventional triode driver circuit is used to get the voltage drive?
Basically one needs a drive voltage equal or greater than the anode swing voltage.
Wouldn't CF operation of the output tubes be more effective?

I have a superficial understanding of the switch mode impedance converter he's using in place of an OT in his newer
amps, but better minds than mine have become hopelessly confused trying to analyze the circuit ;-)

I have never focused long enough.

Patrick Turner.

FT

RDH4 Fred Nachbaur Vacuum Tubes 8 June 28th 05 03:39 AM
RDH4 mirror is back on-line - Vacuum Tubes 8 February 8th 05 10:41 PM
Gregg's RDH4 mirror? Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE Vacuum Tubes 16 December 5th 04 06:25 AM
RDH4: I give up.... DougC Vacuum Tubes 26 August 20th 04 07:31 PM
RDH4 CD's--how many different ones are there? DougC Vacuum Tubes 20 August 14th 04 06:14 PM