Jean

Default Electric car lighter specifications?

What are the electric car lighter specifications?
Is it standard for all the cars?
Is it 12 Volts?
DC or AC?
How many amperes it can provide?

What key words should I have used to make the research with google?

Thanks
Dark1

"Jean" wrote in message
om...
What are the electric car lighter specifications?
Is it standard for all the cars?
Is it 12 Volts?
DC or AC?
How many amperes it can provide?

What key words should I have used to make the research with google?

Thanks

yes it's standard, 12v DC, not sure about amps, I wouldn't say more than 10,
whatever the rating of the wiring/fuse going to it which I'd say would vary
from car to car..

MOSFET

Twelve volts DC, amperage can vary. Figure 10-15 Amps if it's a
standard cigar lighter, maybe up to 20 amps if it's a dedicated "power
terminal" like many newer cars are coming with.

There's no hard-and-fast specifications for the terminal itself. The
center terminal is always positive, and the shell is always negative,
but the inside diameter of the socket varies. Some are 21 mm, and
some are 22.2 mm.

Some cigar lighters are powered even with the car off, while others
are only powered when the ignition key is in the "Accessory" or "Run"
position.

Scott Gardner

What a concise and comprehensive answer. You win the gold star for today,
Scott!

MOSFET

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:26:07 -0800, "MOSFET"
wrote:

Twelve volts DC, amperage can vary. Figure 10-15 Amps if it's a
standard cigar lighter, maybe up to 20 amps if it's a dedicated "power
terminal" like many newer cars are coming with.

There's no hard-and-fast specifications for the terminal itself. The
center terminal is always positive, and the shell is always negative,
but the inside diameter of the socket varies. Some are 21 mm, and
some are 22.2 mm.

Some cigar lighters are powered even with the car off, while others
are only powered when the ignition key is in the "Accessory" or "Run"
position.

Scott Gardner

What a concise and comprehensive answer. You win the gold star for today,
Scott!

MOSFET

Thanks - I usually don't have a problem with the "comprehensive" part,
but "concise" usually kicks my ass.

I'm really bad about giving a two-dollar answer to a twenty-five cent
question, but I've found that it helps eliminate confusion and cuts
down on follow-up questions.

Scott