Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
heathdwatts heathdwatts is offline

Default buying blank CDs

Hi,
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?
Thanks,
Heath

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"heathdwatts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?

Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs come in blank silver or white. Good discs, too.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
tmaki tmaki is offline

heathdwatts wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?

http://www.am-dig.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

heathdwatts wrote:
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?

Any media vendor will sell them. I like Cassette House and Tape Warehouse,
both of which have websites (although Tape Warehouse's website is awful).
There are lots of others... Polyline, NCS...
--scott

NOW, if you can find 63 minute ones again, I would LOVE a source.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message
"heathdwatts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?

Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs come in blank silver or white. Good discs, too.

Peace,
Paul

Agreed! And Polyline Corp is my favorite dealer :

Thermal printable :
http://www.polylinecorp.com/productl...61000130000400

Ink jet printable :
http://www.polylinecorp.com/productl...61000120001000

--
John L Rice
www.DeliriumFix.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"heathdwatts" wrote ...
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?

Any "printable" CDR will have a completely blank label
side. Available in white, "silver" and even a shiny water-
proof variety, etc.

I use Taiyo-Yuden from www.supermediastore.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Lugnuts Lugnuts is offline

heathdwatts wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?
Thanks,
Heath

Are you looking more for CD's for masters of for bulk duplication? If
you are looking for bulk duplication get Riteks and don't spend another
second worrying about them. I do some bulk duplication. I get the
ritkes for 22 cents a piece and I have never had a client return a bad
one. Doing some rudimentary software tests on them using a plextor
burner that includes software for disc testing of blanks and burned
discs they test considerably better than the lower end off brands like
ProDisc and SKC and CMC. CMC is the worst. A lot of those bulk CD's you
will find at CompUSA and Microcenter are CMC and are true crap.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Six String Stu Six String Stu is offline

Too bad they don't provide disks with the LightScribe feature. I like their
bulk CDR prices.
You wouldn;t happen to know where to get those in bulf for a good price
would you? I looked on that site but not them.
I like the Lightscribe able disks for doing masters and one offs. sometimes
I'll be just farting around in the studio with a friend and before they go
home I can hand them a customized audio reproduction of our session with a
label of a picture we also recorded the session.
This goes past what the OP started the thread for, I used to use disks from
a seller I found on ebay. Once I had discovered how fast and simple the
process was with that particular supplier I didnt see any point in shopping
anymore. I was comfortable with the cost and error percentages.
What I didn't like about the disks was my labeling process and I haven't
owned a disk printable setup. Back then I lived with the worry that someone
was going to bring me a drive that one of the disks I had provided had
delaminated in.
Well, till I bought this HP drive that is.

--
remove "spamtrap" in return address for replys.
http://web.nccray.net/jshodges/mommasaid/sss.htm
"John L Rice" wrote in message
"Paul Stamler" wrote in message
"heathdwatts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?

Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs come in blank silver or white. Good discs, too.

Peace,
Paul

Agreed! And Polyline Corp is my favorite dealer :

Thermal printable :
http://www.polylinecorp.com/productl...61000130000400

Ink jet printable :
http://www.polylinecorp.com/productl...61000120001000

--
John L Rice
www.DeliriumFix.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"Six String Stu" wrote ...
I like the Lightscribe able disks for doing masters and one offs.

How long does it take you to write the label?
What drive are you using? I had heard that it takes
3-4-5x longer to write the label side than the data side.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Six String Stu Six String Stu is offline

I'm using winXP on a celeron 1.2 ghz with 256 meg of ram with a HP 640 DVD
drive.
Mr. low tech here :-(
It does take a while for the print process. I have to rush my rump off and
fill a half hours time if they want to rush out the door with a hot press in
their hands. [-)

--
remove "spamtrap" in return address for replys.
http://web.nccray.net/jshodges/mommasaid/sss.htm
20% of all sales goes to the local food pantry.
Accepting any and all donations of pro audio equipment.
Thanks so much to those who have responded.
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Six String Stu" wrote ...
I like the Lightscribe able disks for doing masters and one offs.

How long does it take you to write the label?
What drive are you using? I had heard that it takes
3-4-5x longer to write the label side than the data side.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss Mark & Mary Ann Weiss is offline

"heathdwatts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?
Thanks,
Heath

Meritline is another option you might look into. I have been buying CDs and
DVD media from them for about 6 years now. www.meritline.com

--

Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 15,000 Watts of Driving Stereo!
Business sites at:
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

Lugnuts wrote:
heathdwatts wrote:
[...]

I get about 5% reject on Ritek on my system. I use Taiyo Yuden almost
exclusively for duplication and MAM for masters.

If a customer has a read problem due to an old player I will reburn a
replacement on a MAM disc. They are 74 minute discs and read more
reliably thqn the 80 minute discs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"Six String Stu" wrote ...
[ time to write "Lightscribe" labels]
I'm using winXP on a celeron 1.2 ghz with 256 meg of ram with a HP 640
DVD drive.
Mr. low tech here :-(
It does take a while for the print process. I have to rush my rump off
and fill a half hours time if they want to rush out the door with a
hot press in their hands. [-)

That's what I heard. It doesn't appear that the slow speed
is related to the speed of the computer. Maybe the laser is
so weak, it takes several passes to develop the image? In
any case, way too slow except for the odd disc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Lugnuts Lugnuts is offline

Richard Kuschel wrote:
Lugnuts wrote:
heathdwatts wrote:
[...]

MAM has an interesting product line. I do buy some gold archive masters
that are labelled "Apogee." The MAM's are about the same price. You
like them quite a bit?

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Geoff Geoff is offline

heathdwatts wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to find a source for blank CDs that don't have a trademark
(like TDK, etc.) on them. Does anyone know a souce for these?
Thanks,
Heath

Go to any shop and buy printable-surface CDs.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Six String Stu Six String Stu is offline

Very true. Cost prohibitive as well. You can expect to pay 3/4 of a buck
after shipping costs when you but a 50 or less pack.
I really should invest in a disk printer.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:14:02 -0600, "Six String Stu"
wrote:

I like the Lightscribe able disks for doing masters and one offs. sometimes
I'll be just farting around in the studio with a friend and before they go
home I can hand them a customized audio reproduction of our session with a
label of a picture we also recorded the session.

Lightscribe is a neat idea, but so s..l...o...w :-( Maybe if it
hadn't appeared just as budget inkjet printers started getting CD
trays...

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Laurence Payne wrote:

Six String Stu" wrote:

I like the Lightscribe able disks for doing masters and one offs. sometimes
I'll be just farting around in the studio with a friend and before they go
home I can hand them a customized audio reproduction of our session with a
label of a picture we also recorded the session.

Lightscribe is a neat idea, but so s..l...o...w :-( Maybe if it
hadn't appeared just as budget inkjet printers started getting CD
trays...

What does it do for the life of the laser? Burn, baby, burn...

--
ha
"Iraq" is Arabic for "Vietnam"
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Six String Stu Six String Stu is offline

I don't know about the life of the lazer eye but with my first drive I
pressed one CD and it failed.
Could've been user error or a defectice part. I dunno. HP replaced it though
and I gotta give um credit for that.
In total I estimate that I have made about 1500 disks with the one I have.

--
remove "spamtrap" in return address for replys.
http://web.nccray.net/jshodges/mommasaid/sss.htm
20% of all sales goes to the local food pantry.
Accepting any and all donations of pro audio equipment.
Thanks so much to those who have responded.
"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
Laurence Payne wrote:

Six String Stu" wrote:

I like the Lightscribe able disks for doing masters and one offs.
sometimes
I'll be just farting around in the studio with a friend and before they
go
home I can hand them a customized audio reproduction of our session with
label of a picture we also recorded the session.

Lightscribe is a neat idea, but so s..l...o...w :-( Maybe if it
hadn't appeared just as budget inkjet printers started getting CD
trays...

What does it do for the life of the laser? Burn, baby, burn...

--
ha
"Iraq" is Arabic for "Vietnam"

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

I like the little Casio disc printers for one offs and small batches. You
are limited graphically but it doesn't wash or peal off and looks sharp.

The CW-100 has the best DPI :
http://www.casio.com/products/Label_...itle_Printers/

--
John L Rice
www.DeliriumFix.com

"Six String Stu" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Geoff Geoff is offline

wrote:

I like the Lightscribe able disks for doing masters and one offs.
sometimes I'll be just farting around in the studio with a friend
and before they go home I can hand them a customized audio
reproduction of our session with a label of a picture we also
recorded the session.

Lightscribe is a neat idea, but so s..l...o...w :-( Maybe if it
hadn't appeared just as budget inkjet printers started getting CD
trays...

..... if you like low-contrast samey CDs and a prematurely-expired laser.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:30:15 +1300, "Geoff"
wrote:

Lightscribe is a neat idea, but so s..l...o...w :-( Maybe if it
hadn't appeared just as budget inkjet printers started getting CD
trays...

.... if you like low-contrast samey CDs and a prematurely-expired laser.

Any figures on laser life yet? I'm less worried about that aspect
since burners hit the commodity price-level.

Got to feel sorry for them though. They did it right.
Lightscribe-capable burners aren't any more expensive. Neither are
media. They just got overtaken by the flood of cheap inkjet
printers. And most people have one lying around, if only to run off
their holiday snaps. Do burner manufacturers have to licence
Lightscribe? I wonder how much longer they'll bother to?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Steve Finucane Steve Finucane is offline

Six String Stu wrote:
[...]

Try www.surething.com. They sell all types of media including CD and DVD
Lightscribe discs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
"John L Rice" wrote
I like the little Casio disc printers for one offs and
small batches. You are limited graphically but it doesn't
wash or peal off and looks sharp.
The CW-100 has the best DPI :
http://www.casio.com/products/Label_...itle_Printers/

Agreed.

I was disappointed. The one-time foil ribbon is VERY
expensive, even when purchased by the case. And the
print is only "sharp" on certain mirror-finish disc surfaces.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
"Geoff" wrote:

Lightscribe is a neat idea, but so s..l...o...w :-( Maybe if it
hadn't appeared just as budget inkjet printers started getting CD
trays...

.... if you like low-contrast samey CDs and a prematurely-expired
laser.

Any figures on laser life yet? I'm less worried about that aspect
since burners hit the commodity price-level.

Got to feel sorry for them though. They did it right.

"Right" would have been a reasonable cycle-time.
I could live with monochrome OR 20-minute cycle
times, but not both in the same package. At least
not in my world.

Lightscribe-capable burners aren't any more expensive. Neither are
media. They just got overtaken by the flood of cheap inkjet
printers. And most people have one lying around, if only to run off
their holiday snaps. Do burner manufacturers have to licence
Lightscribe? I wonder how much longer they'll bother to?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:15:45 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

I could live with monochrome OR 20-minute cycle
times, but not both in the same package. At least
not in my world.

Is it as long as 20 minutes? Ouch!

I suppose as a throw-in feature, and if it works on the disks you were
going to use anyway, it's difficult to complain too hard about it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Six String Stu Six String Stu is offline

It looks good for one offs, this is true.
Further down someone said something about a "foil ribbon" or such. How
expensive is it to reload the printer ink (or whatever they use)?
The lightScribe disks are expensive but they don't run out of ink. I'm
allways wishing I had more ink/ extra cartridges for my printer and the cost
for them is out rageous as well.
lol I never thought I would be saying that I missed those noisey old wide
carriage dot matrix printers. ;-)

--
"John L Rice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"Six String Stu" wrote ...
It looks good for one offs, this is true.
Further down someone said something about a "foil ribbon" or such. How
expensive is it to reload the printer ink (or whatever they use)?

Looks like they are now selling for ~$9 each and are supposed
to be able to print 40 discs. But I never got 40 discs out of one.
Note also that if you don't have perfectly smooth, mirror-finish
discs, the print quality is terrible (at least with my unit).

The lightScribe disks are expensive but they don't run out of ink. I'm
allways wishing I had more ink/ extra cartridges for my printer and
the cost for them is out rageous as well.

Many people sell "continuous ink supply" kits for the Epson
(and other) printers both the disc-printing and paper-printing
variety. I have an Epson R300 here at home and an R200
at the office and both of them are running continuous-ink
conversions. The kits reduce the cost of printing to fractions
of a cent and are easy to refill.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Six String Stu Six String Stu is offline

Yeah that is about the going rate for those LightScribe disks.
Some poster up the tree a ways mentioned that the media cost was as low as
regular CD-R media.
I didn't bother to correct him.
LightScribe is costly both in time and price. Yet it's my choice of
presentation materials.
I guess it's the ink issue more then anything. Stupid reason I guess.

--
"Steve Finucane" wrote in message
Six String Stu wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

wrote:

Do burner manufacturers have to licence
Lightscribe? I wonder how much longer they'll bother to?

Not sure, but I think Hewlet Packard owns the rights to the patent.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Flying Tadpole Flying Tadpole is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
snip

Many people sell "continuous ink supply" kits for the Epson
(and other) printers both the disc-printing and paper-printing
variety. I have an Epson R300 here at home and an R200
at the office and both of them are running continuous-ink
conversions. The kits reduce the cost of printing to fractions
of a cent and are easy to refill.

Added to which, if you're using a "continuous supply" conversion you can
get pigment-based inks which don't fade fast (ie equivalent to good
printers ink). This is in contrast to the usual dye-based inkjet inks
which, just like the vampires who market inks at vast profit, fade
rapidly in even a bit of sunlight.
--

Flying Tadpole
----------------------------------

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Flying Tadpole wrote in news:12r7kjndvvgpe49
@corp.supernews.com:

Added to which, if you're using a "continuous supply" conversion you can
get pigment-based inks which don't fade fast (ie equivalent to good
printers ink). This is in contrast to the usual dye-based inkjet inks
which, just like the vampires who market inks at vast profit, fade
rapidly in even a bit of sunlight.

Can you name a source for pigmented inks? That's the only reason I have
not yet converted to continuous supply. The OEM Epson ink I use now is
pigmented and waterproof. I didn't want to give that up.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"Carey Carlan" wrote ...
Can you name a source for pigmented inks? That's the only reason I
have
not yet converted to continuous supply. The OEM Epson ink I use now
is
pigmented and waterproof. I didn't want to give that up.

I bought mine on eBay. A search on eBay
returned 29 hits for: continuous ink pigment
and Google returned 416,000 hits

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

Carey Carlan wrote:
Flying Tadpole wrote in news:12r7kjndvvgpe49
@corp.supernews.com:

Added to which, if you're using a "continuous supply" conversion you can
get pigment-based inks which don't fade fast (ie equivalent to good
printers ink). This is in contrast to the usual dye-based inkjet inks
which, just like the vampires who market inks at vast profit, fade
rapidly in even a bit of sunlight.

Can you name a source for pigmented inks? That's the only reason I have
not yet converted to continuous supply. The OEM Epson ink I use now is
pigmented and waterproof. I didn't want to give that up.

Here's my source but probably of absoolutely no use to you...

www.ausmedia.com.au

--

Flying Tadpole
----------------------------------
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Six String Stu Six String Stu is offline

yep, kind of far to go for state side stuff. But a good source for when down
under this much is true.

--
"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message
Carey Carlan wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in
:

"Carey Carlan" wrote ...
Can you name a source for pigmented inks? That's the only reason I
have not yet converted to continuous supply. The OEM Epson ink
I use now is pigmented and waterproof. I didn't want to give that up.

I bought mine on eBay. A search on eBay
returned 29 hits for: continuous ink pigment
and Google returned 416,000 hits

I was sort of hoping for a known reliable source.

I use this printer for CD tray cards and inserts. I'd rather not have my
product depend on a source as unreliable as eBay.

Yes, I'll go try a google source.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio

"Carey Carlan" wrote...
I was sort of hoping for a known reliable source.

I use this printer for CD tray cards and inserts. I'd rather not have
my
product depend on a source as unreliable as eBay.

Yes, I'll go try a google source.

There are some excellent vendors on eBay.
I bought my continuous-ink-supply conversion
kit and additional ink refils from this vendor...
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjlwsales

He is in Hong Kong, but delivery from him is
actually faster than from many people I have
dealt with on the east cost of the US. Four day
delivery from HongKong to my doorstep here in
Portland, OR. Absolutely no complaints. I would
recommend this vendor to anyone.

I also use my printer for CD and DVD packaging
and writing on the discs. I have published some
of my BKMs on my website....
http://www.rcrowley.com/VideoBKM.htm
I need to update it. I now get my CD and DVD
cases from www.supermediastore.com along with
my Taiyo-Yuden CDR and DVDR discs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote ...
"John L Rice" wrote
I like the little Casio disc printers for one offs and
small batches. You are limited graphically but it doesn't
wash or peal off and looks sharp.
The CW-100 has the best DPI :
http://www.casio.com/products/Label_...itle_Printers/

Agreed.

I was disappointed. The one-time foil ribbon is VERY
expensive, even when purchased by the case. And the
print is only "sharp" on certain mirror-finish disc surfaces.

Yeah, you need to use media designed for thermal printing for it to work
well. (no branding, no ink jet media, etc)

--
John L Rice
www.DeliriumFix.com