Radioman390

Default Internet Radio Audio Quality?

Philips new AM/FM/Internet radio looks interesting. It's a shelf system but
also has input for streaming audio without a PC. How does IR compare to FM?
Anybody bought one?
http://www.shoplifestyle.com/store/p...0&source=CJ&AI
D=7282266&PID=907648
Crashdamage

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:11:17 -0700, no useful info wrote:
In article ,

Subject: Internet Radio Audio Quality?
From: no useful info

Date: 8/8/2004 2:07 PM Eastern Standard Time
In article ,
"Robert Morein" wrote:

"Radioman390" wrote in message
Philips new AM/FM/Internet radio looks interesting. It's a shelf system
but
also has input for streaming audio without a PC. How does IR compare to
FM?
Anybody bought one?

http://www.shoplifestyle.com/store/p...0&source=CJ&AI
D=7282266&PID=907648

I've listened to IR, extensively, for a while. Two observations:

1. The programming is much better than mainstream FM.
2. The sound quality is not as good as those FM stations that try to put
out
something decent, provided an excellent tuner is used.

In some ways, such as frequency response, it can exceed conventional FM,
but
all these stations are very low bitrate, and suffer from the corresponding
artifacts. Also, these stations appear to use less compression (good) than
mainstream FM.

If I had the choice of listening to a station by either means, I would
choose FM with a topflight tuner. However, I might prefer IR to one of the
many tuners out there that have disappointing quality. This is strictly a
personal preference, as different artifacts strike people differently.

Where you John Kerry's political tutor?

Do you say that because the answer is intelligent and shows respect for the
questioner and the question?

Would you have preferred: "Bring 'em on!"?

Josh

If by intelligent you mean using 132 words to say he didn't have
anything to add to the discussion, then absolutely

Your 'from' line says it all...
--
Registered Linux user #266531