Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler[_2_] Paul Stamler[_2_] is offline

Default Audition, dither and preview

Hi folks:

I just made an interesting discovery: my version of Adobe Audition does not
seem to dither in the preview mode.

Here's what I was doing: I was using Audition as a signal generator to test
out a preamp. I have a set of test signals for harmonic and various flavors
of IM distortion, generated at -2dBFS, 24-bit, 96kHz. To save a little time,
I opened the change-level screen and set it to attenuate by a certain number
of dB, then used the Preview function to play back the signals.

Well, the results were anomalous, because the preamp tested a lot worse than
spec. The loopback, at full level, was clean (at least 20dB better than the
results from the preamp), so I tried a loopback with the signals attenuated.
They were dirty, at the same levels as the preamp with those settings. The
dirt was coming from the signals.

I'd been working with the dither turned off, so I turned it on. Same result.
Then I actually did the level reduction processing (with dither) and saved
the files, then did loopbacks with them. Clean as a whistle.

Conclusion: even if the dither is turned on in the setup screen, Audition
(at least this version) only applies it during off-line processing, not
preview.

I'm using an older version of Audition, 1.0. Anyone out there know if the
newer versions dither in preview?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Badmuts[_2_] Badmuts[_2_] is offline

Audition 1.0 was buggy as hell. Try 3.0

VST dither algos Animix Pro Audio 3 June 11th 05 04:09 AM
Resample and dither or dither and resample? Michael Hansen Pro Audio 69 March 9th 05 11:22 PM
HELP WITH DITHER DEPTH [email protected] Pro Audio 2 February 25th 05 02:47 PM
Q: No dither going straight to MP3? David Petrou Pro Audio 10 June 1st 04 05:01 PM
Q: No dither going straight to MP3? David Petrou Pro Audio 0 June 1st 04 04:13 AM