Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Don Snodgrass

Default Audio processing techniques for Amateur Radio

Hello to the group...

I've been a licensed Amateur Radio operator since 1972. Recently, I and
other Amateurs have been experimenting with the use of external audio
processing equipment to enhance our transmitted audio quality. You can
learn more about this by visiting my Amateur Radio site at
http://webpages.charter.net/donsno/wb4kr.htm . This site is fairly complete
including a description of equipment, hookup scheme, settings, etc. I even
have a link to a sound bite.

Relatively narrow radio transmission bandwidth severely challenges my
ability to replicate the kind of results most of you are accustomed to.
That's because Amateur Radio transmitters are typically restricted to a
narrow bandwidth of 100 Hz to 3000 Hz when transmitting single sideband
(SSB) information.

What I try to do is to make the most effective use of studio mics, preamps,
EQs and other processing equipment. However, not being a professional
audio engineer, I often feel frustrated with my efforts to find the right
equipment settings. I end up resorting to a trial and error approach
testing the results of settings with other Amateur Radio operators over the
air. I've also have tried to use audio analysis software such as
SpectraPLUS with equally frustrating outcomes.

Any comments/advice/recommendations would be appreciated. Please visit
the above link and let me know what you think of my equipment settings.
Perhaps you have some other settings that you feel might yield better
results. Input from those using the Behringer DEQ2496 for processing male
vocals would be especially welcome.

Best wishes,

Don
Amateur Radio Station K4QKY