Kurt Riemann

Default Slightly OT - fair use copyright question, I think

My dear fellow RAPtors -

We're opening a music school next to our studio. One of the reasons
we're doing this will be the obvious benefit of being able to arrange
and record our own music for the curriculum. At the same time though,
we need to look at other recent music that will be useful for the
program.

What are the legalities / or known fees in using copyrighted music
(Raffi songs / Sesame Street songs) for the live school program?

We're going to be doing a for-sale CD with the courses and will be
paying the appropriate fees to do that, but are unsure of what the
requirements are for using the music in the curriculum.

We'd like to know BEFORE we contact the publishers to at least know if
we're being zoomed and what may be a "standard" fee. Or does this
falll under fair use anyway?

I know, "ask a music attorney" and we eventually will. But once again
I'd rather first get general suggestions just in case I'm forgetting
something obvious.

Thanks -

Kurt Riemann
Surreal Studios
"Slappin' Mosquitoes in Alaska"
Paul Stamler

Kurt Riemann wrote in message

I'm no lawyer, so my free advice is worth rather less than you pay for it.
But...

What are the legalities / or known fees in using copyrighted music
(Raffi songs / Sesame Street songs) for the live school program?

Basically, you call BMI and ASCAP, and if applicable SESAC, and purchase a
license for the facility based on expected audience size and other arcane
factors known but to them.

We're going to be doing a for-sale CD with the courses and will be
paying the appropriate fees to do that, but are unsure of what the
requirements are for using the music in the curriculum.

If you're planning a run of 300-1000, you can do your royalty payments
directly to the Harry Fox Agency website in many cases. I think the royalty
these days is US$0.0798 per copy, per song, but that may have gone up in the
last couple of years.

I know, "ask a music attorney" and we eventually will. But once again
I'd rather first get general suggestions just in case I'm forgetting
something obvious.

You really do need to ask a music attorney.

Peace,
Paul

Dave Martin

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message

If you're planning a run of 300-1000, you can do your royalty payments
directly to the Harry Fox Agency website in many cases. I think the

royalty
these days is US$0.0798 per copy, per song, but that may have gone up in

the
last couple of years.

Current mechanical rate is 8.5 cents. You might want to be aware that if you
go for licenses through Harry Fox, they're now charging $10 per song as a
licensing fee with their online site. On the other hand, you can register
(and pay for) up to a run of 2500 through their site. If you were doing more
than that, I'd suggest that you go ahead and contact the publishers
directly - perhaps you could even get a reduced rate...

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc