Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Sprout[_2_] Tim Sprout[_2_] is offline

Default Car Audio

On 6/4/2016 11:17 PM, geoff wrote:
On 5/06/2016 3:51 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Just got a little subwoofer for the new car (Prius V) that is worth
telling about. It is the Powerbass BTA8, an 8 inch woofer in a nice
carpeted enclosure with amp and connections.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbass-BTA8...bwoofer+8+inch

The concept is a new car with upgrade JBL speaker system, but is
anemic in the bass.

I can vouch for that approach being a vast improvement in car audio sound quality, and for one's aural health.

With regular, even high quality, car speakers, there is usually just totally inadequate bass output. And in order to hear some bass the listening level is ofetn cranked higher than is good for you.

Even a small sub can fill things out nand/or distortion from amp or drivers.

This is the one I got, which is active, very low profile, and can run either from speaker lines or from a dedicated car-stereo amp sub output.

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Sight-%26-So...oofer/p/CS2286

geoff

Thanks for this. The Kenwood sub woofer is now bought and installed under my passenger seat. Much better car listening experience. The Kenwood remote control can vary the low pass from 50 Hz to 125 Hz and has gain control to the sub. For checking mixes without the sub, one can use the remote control to turn down the sub gain, or alternately, to avoid the low pass altogether, one can switch off the sub out from the control unit itself (Alpine CD player).

Tim Sprout
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 15/06/2016 4:38 a.m., Tim Sprout wrote:

Thanks for this. The Kenwood sub woofer is now bought and installed
under my passenger seat. Much better car listening experience. The
Kenwood remote control can vary the low pass from 50 Hz to 125 Hz and
has gain control to the sub. For checking mixes without the sub, one
can use the remote control to turn down the sub gain, or alternately,
to avoid the low pass altogether, one can switch off the sub out from
the control unit itself (Alpine CD player).

Tim Sprout

And now you can actually hear and appreciate bass in your car, without
needing to crank to levels that would possible damage your hearing and
compromise your ability in Audio.Production !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 5:35:36 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 15/06/2016 4:38 a.m., Tim Sprout wrote:

Thanks for this. The Kenwood sub woofer is now bought and installed
under my passenger seat. Much better car listening experience. The
Kenwood remote control can vary the low pass from 50 Hz to 125 Hz and
has gain control to the sub. For checking mixes without the sub, one
can use the remote control to turn down the sub gain, or alternately,
to avoid the low pass altogether, one can switch off the sub out from
the control unit itself (Alpine CD player).

Tim Sprout

And now you can actually hear and appreciate bass in your car, without
needing to crank to levels that would possible damage your hearing and
compromise your ability in Audio.Production !

geoff

To me, Subwoofers are like Joint encoded MP3 - If you don't care for decent sounding stereo, they come in handy.

Speaking of Joint Encoding, I guess you could say I made one individual upset in the newsgroup next-door, since he claimed I don't tell anyone what I do for my impressive mastered sound. I felt bad, and dedicated a song to him. Wouldn't you know it, he bi*ched that I didn't Joint encode the MP3!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 2:11:00 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 08/06/2016 15:59, Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

If you want to hear *loud* with very little compression on the recording
and post processing, listen to Phil Specter's Wall Of Sound singles and
albums. They also have a decent dynamic range both by listening and
looking at the playback envelope. They work well on everything I've ever
used, from a grotty transistor radio earpiece in the '60s to a full
range recording monitor setup in this Century, via an indecently loud
disco I used to run at college. That used to MAKE my ears distort in the
hall, but sounded fantastic from a few hundred yards away at the top of
the nearby hill with a girl to provide company. ;-)

What makes those loud is that the arrangement is so tight. There is something
going on all the time, there is no space anywhere and no openings or sense
of air.

I know, and if he heard a gap, even for a bar or less, in the frequency
spread he wanted, he put an instrument in it. The backline at his
concerts was *huge* for the time. I've worked (As the tour bus driver,
they'd not let me mess with *that* sound. ;-) ) with, not a replica
exactly, but it was Junior Walker's son and his All Stars band, of it on
a Motown Memories tour a decade or so ago, when the promoters used the
wall of sound principle for the backing, and it was very impressive
indeed, without being stupidly high in absolute levels.

Loudness really comes from arrangement and performance. Gainriding can help
and compression can help, but it's mostly in front of the mike rather than
behind it.

I agree 100% with that.

I say, that's the reason why so many overdubbed, like The Kinks, Yardbirds, etc., and Stereo renditions were not available, since limited tape number of tape tracks were available.

See, you don't need to increased DBs to make a louder sound, just fill in the gaps. It's like recording a pin drop, not very exciting (Ho-hum), but drop a million of them simultaneously, and it sounds like a clap of thunder!!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.