Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Winter 2010 NAMM Show Report

http://tinyurl.com/MikeRivers-WinterNAMM2010

Enjoy.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/MikeRivers-WinterNAMM2010

Enjoy.

Thank you, Mike.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/MikeRivers-WinterNAMM2010

Enjoy.

You missed the TC Electronics Polytune !

Is this exciting, or am I just lazy ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

You missed the TC Electronics Polytune !

Yeah, I was just thinking about that over dinner tonight. Trouble is
that they didn't have any literature to
hand out, so I didn't have anything to jog my memory. I should probably
add it because I did see it and was
interested in it. I wasn't all that impressed, though. My sense was that
in the poly mode, it would show you which
strings were out of tune (or which ones were in tune so you didn't need
to tune those) but that it in that mode
it was no faster tuning than tuning one string at a time. You still can
only turn one tuning peg at a time so
there's really no point in strumming across all of the strings when you
can tune more accurately by picking just
one.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
Mike Rivers wrote:

geoff wrote:

You missed the TC Electronics Polytune !

Yeah, I was just thinking about that over dinner tonight. Trouble is
that they didn't have any literature to
hand out, so I didn't have anything to jog my memory. I should probably
add it because I did see it and was
interested in it. I wasn't all that impressed, though. My sense was that
in the poly mode, it would show you which
strings were out of tune (or which ones were in tune so you didn't need
to tune those) but that it in that mode
it was no faster tuning than tuning one string at a time. You still can
only turn one tuning peg at a time so
there's really no point in strumming across all of the strings when you
can tune more accurately by picking just
one.

I tried it at NAMM, and it worked fine. But like you, I don't really
see the point.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
Mike Rivers wrote:

geoff wrote:

You missed the TC Electronics Polytune !

Yeah, I was just thinking about that over dinner tonight. Trouble is
that they didn't have any literature to
hand out, so I didn't have anything to jog my memory. I should
probably add it because I did see it and was
interested in it. I wasn't all that impressed, though. My sense was
that in the poly mode, it would show you which
strings were out of tune (or which ones were in tune so you didn't
need to tune those) but that it in that mode
it was no faster tuning than tuning one string at a time. You still
can only turn one tuning peg at a time so
there's really no point in strumming across all of the strings when
you can tune more accurately by picking just
one.

I tried it at NAMM, and it worked fine. But like you, I don't really
see the point.

Strum open, then only pluck/tune what you need to - as I said, "lazy" ;-)

Or a studio time-saver / quick confidence booster (5 seconds to check tuning
instead of an interuption and 2 minutes for tone-deaf guitarists).

Still kinda nifty.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fran Guidry Fran Guidry is offline

On Jan 26, 6:55*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/MikeRivers-WinterNAMM2010

Enjoy.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson

Fanned fret or multi-scale guitars are an old concept but the patent
is held by Ralph Novak, an SF Bay Area Luthier: http://www.novaxguitars.com/

He has built some wild guitars over the years, and many luthiers have
taken the concept in interesting directions.

Fran
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
You missed the TC Electronics Polytune !

OK, I've updated it Here's what I added (so don't bother to download the
whole thing again:

t.c. electronic introduced the world’s first polyphonic
guitar/bass/chromatic tuner. Its trick is that you can strum across all
the strings and the display shows which string is out of tune and in
which direction. It’s a cool idea and great for a quick tuning check,
but with essentially a go/no-go display in the polyphonic mode (a sharp,
OK, and flat LED for each string), I found tuning in the poly mode to be
a bit fiddly. Once I knew which string was out of tune, I preferred the
more traditional note-and-needle display mode, which also offers a
“strobe” mode that gives a sense of how far off tune the string is.

The demo units on display had solid body electric guitars plugged in.
While I had little hope for any sort of effective use acoustically on
the noisy show floor, I didn’t see a built-in microphone, nor is one
mentioned in any of the literature. I neglected to ask, but I assume
that this is a tool for plugged-in players. The t.c. polyphonic tuner
may be amazing new technology, but unless it gets easier after spending
some time to get the hang of it, I don’t really see that it makes tuning
any easier or quicker.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune.asp

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Ts Jay Ts is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
unless it gets easier after spending
some time to get the hang of it, I dont really see that it makes tuning
any easier or quicker.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/polytune.asp

Well, I don't agree with t.c. electronics when they say
it is "an invaluable tool".

However, for live playing, I think I could use it *slightly*
more effectively than the tuners I use now, because I have an
electric with a locking tremolo bridge. I tune using the
fine tuners on the bridge, and if I know how far off a
string is, and in which direction, I can usually bring
it in tune with a quick turn of a fine tuner.

The thing is, this is only useful for making tiny adjustments,
such as a few cents. In other words, not enough to matter.
It would be a confidence booster to me, showing me that
I'm in tune, and little more. A great toy for nuts like
me who like to keep every string in tune to within a cent
or so at all times (and pretend we can tell the difference .

A problem with this design is that by displaying "all six"
strings at once, it fails to support 7-string guitars!

Jay Ts
--
To contact me, use this web page:
http://www.jayts.com/contact.php

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jay Ts wrote:

A problem with this design is that by displaying "all six"
strings at once, it fails to support 7-string guitars!

or 5-string banjos

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
Mike Rivers wrote:

Jay Ts wrote:

A problem with this design is that by displaying "all six"
strings at once, it fails to support 7-string guitars!

or 5-string banjos

Does it? Why wouldn't it do a 5 string instrument if it will do 4
string bass?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jenn wrote:

Why wouldn't it do a 5 string instrument if it will do 4
string bass?

As I understand it, you can program it for any off-brand tuning you
want, but I didn't look
into how you do that or how you select the tuning if you have more than
one. I probably know
30 banjo tunings. I tried setting up a few with the Peterson StroboSoft
and it was more trouble
than it was worth. I expect that for gDGBD it wouldn't care if it was a
banjo or guitar with a
missing string, but it would need some help for others, even "standard
C" with the low D
tuned to C. Also, a lot of old time players tune their banjos two frets
high so they can play
in easy keys when the fiddle plays in easy keys.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Moshe Goldfarb[_4_] Moshe Goldfarb[_4_] is offline

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:09:59 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

geoff wrote:
You missed the TC Electronics Polytune !

OK, I've updated it Here's what I added (so don't bother to download the
whole thing again:

Call me when they figure out how to electronically tune all the
pipes on a bagpipe simultaneously !!!

--

1/27/2010 1:55:33 PM
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

Call me when they figure out how to electronically tune all the
pipes on a bagpipe simultaneously !!!

You mean you've never seen electronic bagpipes? There really is
such a thing, and it even looks like a bagpipe.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be
operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:40:48 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

Call me when they figure out how to electronically tune all the
pipes on a bagpipe simultaneously !!!

You mean you've never seen electronic bagpipes? There really is
such a thing, and it even looks like a bagpipe.

Holy crap!!!
My ears are ringing already!!

I need to get out more often!
Hahaha!

(no offense to any pipers we might have here)!

--

1/27/2010 2:45:10 PM
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

Call me when they figure out how to electronically tune all the
pipes on a bagpipe simultaneously !!!

You mean you've never seen electronic bagpipes? There really is
such a thing, and it even looks like a bagpipe.

Holy crap!!!
My ears are ringing already!!

That's the thing about the electric bagpipe. Most electric versions of
instruments (like the guitar and bass) are designed to play louder than
the acoustic versions. The electric bagpipe exists to play softer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Jay Ts wrote:
A problem with this design is that by displaying "all six"
strings at once, it fails to support 7-string guitars!

Yes, but to compensate it instead additionaly covers 5,4,3,2, and 1-string
instruments !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

Terrific job as always, Mike. Well done!

--MFW

2009 WINTER OHIO GUITAR SHOW SUNDAY JANUARY 11 frankthedog Pro Audio 1 December 29th 08 08:09 PM
Summer NAMM Show Report Mike Rivers Pro Audio 10 August 3rd 07 08:41 PM
2007 WINTER OHIO GUITAR SHOW SUNDAY JANUARY 14 frankthedog Pro Audio 0 December 29th 06 02:25 PM
NAMM Show Report Mike Rivers Pro Audio 7 February 2nd 05 04:18 AM
NAMM Show Report - Summer 2003 John L Rice Pro Audio 15 August 8th 03 01:37 PM