EganMedia

Default Lesson Learned

I am an idiot.

Without a contract I let a producer/engineer team from LA come in to my studio
for the past ten days. One of my engineers was good friends with the band and
their manager and assured me everything would be cool. I thought it would be a
nice vacation. Mine is not a typical commercial studio, and until this
session, the only engineers to use my place were my employees. For the most
part it was cool, but yesterday (their last day) the left the studio looking
like a frat party. Despite their promises that the place would be clean, the
left it a complete dump and blew a tweeter in one of my Dynaudio BM15as.

So let the "what the **** were you thinking?!?" replies begin.

BTW, has anyone seen my hymen?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
-sTu-

Sounds like some "friends" I used to have.

As to your hymen.... http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2272.html

:-)

--
-sTu-

....and I'll never go to Sacramento again.
- Nick (Soulbelly) of RMMP

"EganMedia" wrote in message
[...]

Rob Adelman

NeilH011 wrote:

OR... if you made a good profit from the job, you might weigh that against how
big of a pain in the ass the mess is to clean up... if they liked your place &
may want to come back in the future, it might be worth a little cleanup time
each visit.

Or perhaps a cleaning deposit?

Dave Martin

"EganMedia" wrote in message
Despite their promises that the place would be clean, the
left it a complete dump and blew a tweeter in one of my Dynaudio BM15as.

So let the "what the **** were you thinking?!?" replies begin.

I'll agree with NeilH - Blowing a tweeter is simply a part of doing business
(I must say that I've not yet blown a tweeter in my Dynaudios, but I don't
monitor very loud). Commercial type rooms get messy; assuming that you
billed them a decent day rate, let part of your 'fixed costs' be a
janitorial service. If you gave them a super-duper friend of an employee
rate, make your engineer clean it up.

I think it was Ardent's manager who said something like, "As close as I can
tell, they must have thrown up in their hands and tossed it at the ceiling."
Now THAT'S messy...

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

Scott Dorsey

EganMedia wrote:

Without a contract I let a producer/engineer team from LA come in to my studio
for the past ten days. One of my engineers was good friends with the band and
their manager and assured me everything would be cool. I thought it would be a
nice vacation. Mine is not a typical commercial studio, and until this
session, the only engineers to use my place were my employees. For the most
part it was cool, but yesterday (their last day) the left the studio looking
like a frat party. Despite their promises that the place would be clean, the
left it a complete dump and blew a tweeter in one of my Dynaudio BM15as.

So, bill them for it anyway and see what happens.

LeBaron & Alrich

Mike Caffrey wrote:

(EganMedia) wrote:

BTW, has anyone seen my hymen?

You weren't there for the sessions?

Yes, but he has fat thighs.

--
ha
EganMedia

Not necessarily... did it pad the bank account sufficiently ??

I did get paid well. Basically it bought me a new Pro Tools HD3 system.
Nevertheless, I won't be opening up my studio to outside engineers again. It's
more an issue of respect than enything else. Cables and mics left up don't
bother me. It's the Reese's Peanut Butter cup ground into the carpet and the
overturned magarita mix bottle which really ****ed me off. No effort was made
to clean up at all. When the coffee table got full of beer bottles, they just
started setting bottles on the floor. I busted my ass to get this studio and
made it clear that it was a private place. I guess that kind of stuff doesn't
matter to rock stars.

I think I'll pee in the corners so that from now on when when people come in
they'll get a strange, overwhelming feeling that this is my turf.

woof!

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Bill Thompson

EganMedia wrote:

I did get paid well. Basically it bought me a new Pro Tools HD3 system.

Which is cool...

Nevertheless, I won't be opening up my studio to outside engineers again. It's
more an issue of respect than enything else. snip

I couldn't agree more!!

It IS and aspect of operating a commercial, for-hire studio, but I
gather from your various posts you don't operate that way... so it seems
to me the engineer who brought in the work should have known better.

As far as whether or not you've earned the idiot title... not unless
this is the 112th time you've done thisG

I think I'll pee in the corners so that from now on when when people come in
they'll get a strange, overwhelming feeling that this is my turf.

Now that made me laugh!!!

Bill

LeBaron & Alrich

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

Mike Caffrey wrote:

(EganMedia) wrote:

BTW, has anyone seen my hymen?

You weren't there for the sessions?

Yes, but he has fat thighs.

(Think _Fried Green Tomatos_...)

Now whose turn is it to be taken out and shot, Hank?

You'll never hit me while I'm wearing my tie-dye camo hat.

--
ha