Mark

Default How bad is my monitoring ?

Hi,
For mixing purposes, I currently monitor using a pair of Mordaunt Short
902's (using a NAD amplifier and its internal Crystal DACs). The speakers,
amp and DACs are quiet hightly rated for hifi use, but I imagine for
monitoring they aren't that transparent. I also heard good things about the
Crystal DACs. Any thoughts ?

I'm no pro, I'm just learning at the moment. I find these speakers more
detailed than most peoples hifi speakers, and find them less "forgiving" of
any bad mixing I do because of what they reveal, so they are helping.

Its hard to describe the room.. the speakers almost face me, while I sit on
a big soft couch, so that should help with standing waves and such like
shouldn't it.. ?

Mark.

Phil Brown

I'm no pro, I'm just learning at the moment. I find these speakers more
detailed than most peoples hifi speakers, and find them less "forgiving"

of
any bad mixing I do because of what they reveal, so they are helping.

That's what monitors are supposed to do. Speakers that flatter to deceive are a
poor bargin.
Phil Brown
anybody-but-bush

:
: I'm no pro, I'm just learning at the moment. I find these speakers more
: detailed than most peoples hifi speakers, and find them less "forgiving" of
: any bad mixing I do because of what they reveal, so they are helping.
:
: Its hard to describe the room.. the speakers almost face me, while I sit on
: a big soft couch, so that should help with standing waves and such like
: shouldn't it.. ?
:
: Mark.

Which monitor is best? Hands down the same monitor every time to all professional engineers.
It is the monitor you are intimately familiar with, the monitor you listen to all your music
on and reference to see how that music sounds. Now it helps if this monitor is not a piece of
crap, although the "standard" Yamaha NS-10 has made a reputation for itself, but mostly
because a lot of folks are intimately familir with how a lot of music sounds on them and they
can reference to something they know.

For now use your MS 902's to get a sound from your recordings which is true to what you
normaly listen to. Once your system is completly calibrated and if you find they are the weak
point in your studio then get another pair of monitors to put next to them and spend a year
switching between them and the MS's to get familiar with the new ones.

Phil Abbate

: --
:
:

Ethan Winer

Mark,

the speakers almost face me, while I sit on a big soft couch, so that

should help with standing waves and such like shouldn't it.. ?

Not really. A couch is not a bass trap. If you want to discuss these issues
further, tell me the dimensions of your room, and where the speakers and you
are located within the room.

--Ethan

David Grant

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message
Mark,

the speakers almost face me, while I sit on a big soft couch, so that

should help with standing waves and such like shouldn't it.. ?

Not really. A couch is not a bass trap.

Well, you might call it a bass trap. You might also call a kleenex a
parachute

ThePaulThomas

"David Grant" wrote in message .rogers.com...
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message
Mark,

the speakers almost face me, while I sit on a big soft couch, so that

should help with standing waves and such like shouldn't it.. ?

Not really. A couch is not a bass trap.

Well, you might call it a bass trap. You might also call a kleenex a
parachute

No, it's a coin trap. If you don't believe me look betwen the cushions. ;-)
ThePaulThomas

"David Grant" wrote in message .rogers.com...
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message
Mark,

the speakers almost face me, while I sit on a big soft couch, so that

should help with standing waves and such like shouldn't it.. ?

Not really. A couch is not a bass trap.

Well, you might call it a bass trap. You might also call a kleenex a
parachute

No, it's a coin trap. If you don't believe me look between the cushions. ;-)
Scott Dorsey

Mark wrote:
For mixing purposes, I currently monitor using a pair of Mordaunt Short
902's (using a NAD amplifier and its internal Crystal DACs). The speakers,
amp and DACs are quiet hightly rated for hifi use, but I imagine for
monitoring they aren't that transparent. I also heard good things about the
Crystal DACs. Any thoughts ?

My thoughts... take something you mixed and take it elsewhere and listen
to some other speakers. If you start hearing things that you never noticed
on the 902s, then you have a problem.

I'm no pro, I'm just learning at the moment. I find these speakers more
detailed than most peoples hifi speakers, and find them less "forgiving" of
any bad mixing I do because of what they reveal, so they are helping.

This is a good sign. Another thing is to try making small EQ changes, and
see how much you need to make before you hear a difference.

Its hard to describe the room.. the speakers almost face me, while I sit on
a big soft couch, so that should help with standing waves and such like
shouldn't it.. ?

Maybe. Play Art Blakey Live At the Village Vanguard and listen to the
upright bass. Can you hear him playing up and down the scales, and making
little microtonal changes, or does it all sound like one note over and over
again? If it all sounds like one note, you got a problem.
Mark Simonetti

Thanks Ethan, I will tell you as soon as I find my tape measure :-) I
also wanted to ask you about another room I will be recording a rock
band in soon (if thats okay), but first I need to find out details about it.

Cheers,

Mark.
--

Ethan Winer wrote:
Mark,

the speakers almost face me, while I sit on a big soft couch, so that

should help with standing waves and such like shouldn't it.. ?

Not really. A couch is not a bass trap. If you want to discuss these issues
further, tell me the dimensions of your room, and where the speakers and you
are located within the room.

--Ethan

--
Mark Simonetti.
Freelance Software Engineer.

David Grant

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
[...]

Hey, thanks for the benchmark... I'm gonna try this..

EGO

snip
Maybe. Play Art Blakey Live At the Village Vanguard and listen to the
upright bass. Can you hear him playing up and down the scales, and making
little microtonal changes, or does it all sound like one note over and over
again? If it all sounds like one note, you got a problem.
--scott

I am starting to use Kind of Blue as a reference. I have played the
tunes dozens of times live, and I have listened to it umpteen times. I
know what I should hear.

Not that I don't dig Art Blakey!