Lars

Default Bright vocal microphone

Hello everyone,

I am recording my band and I am looking for a cardiod large-diaphragm
condenser that is pretty bright without sounding too "hollow". Budget
has some... ehrm.. limitations, so what does everyone think is the
best microphone with these characteristics that I can get for under
$600 (used or new)?

I am also looking for a good omni mic to pick up ambience. It should
have as detailed sound as possible, be quiet, yet fall within the
economic restrictions mentioned above. Does anyone have any tips?
Perhaps of a microphone with switchable characteristics that can cover
both my needs?

thanks!
/Lars
Scott Dorsey

Lars wrote:

I am recording my band and I am looking for a cardiod large-diaphragm
condenser that is pretty bright without sounding too "hollow". Budget
has some... ehrm.. limitations, so what does everyone think is the
best microphone with these characteristics that I can get for under
$600 (used or new)?

Does it have to be a large diaphragm, or would the Neumann KMS105 do it
for you?

I am also looking for a good omni mic to pick up ambience. It should
have as detailed sound as possible, be quiet, yet fall within the
economic restrictions mentioned above. Does anyone have any tips?
Perhaps of a microphone with switchable characteristics that can cover
both my needs?

How about the Audio-Technica AT4049?
In a pinch, the EV 635A isn't all that bad an ambience mike. No top end
and no bottom end, but it works better than you might think, and it's cheap.
Raymond

Lars wrote:

I am recording my band and I am looking for a cardiod large-diaphragm
condenser that is pretty bright without sounding too "hollow". Budget
has some... ehrm.. limitations, so what does everyone think is the
best microphone with these characteristics that I can get for under
$600 (used or new)?

I've been using an AT4047sv ($599.00 new) it has all your looking for but it's
more of the FET (more warm than bright) sound.
Don Cooper

Scott Dorsey wrote:

In a pinch, the EV 635A isn't all that bad an ambience mike. No top end
and no bottom end, but it works better than you might think, and it's cheap.

635A's were the first pro mics I had, and I even recorded vocals with
them in the '80's.

Don

Roger W. Norman

I almost always use the 4050 in figure of eight and it seems to do quite
fine. Still has proximity effect if one gets up on it, but mostly I try to
keep talent back about 15 to 18 inches. Providing that the room sounds ok,
this seems to work very well. If I'm singing, it's cardioid in the control
room, so that doesn't count. Live I generally use it in figure of eight
also, but you have to configure monitors correctly or it's major feedback
time. But the Neumann KMS105 effectively took the live spot over with a
Beta 87 for duets. Did use the 4050 for backup vocals (omni, believe it or
not) from 3 people live and it worked well even if the singers weren't used
to working that way.

But I'd never consider a 4050 bright. A 4033 more closely fits that
requirement and Ty has had some good things to say about the AT AE5400
handheld condenser with the pad and roll-off (Neumann-like I believe he
said). Again, bright isn't the word I'd use to describe the Neumann 105
either.

On the cheap end I found the MXL 990s to be a little brighter but still well
focused. Surprisingly good sounding mic for $69 with case and shockmount.
Decent enough that I bought two. I've tested it with voice, but I have not
sung into one yet and it's cardioid only.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"kelly mcguire" wrote in message
om...
(Lars) wrote in message
. com...
Hello everyone,

I am recording my band and I am looking for a cardiod large-diaphragm
condenser that is pretty bright without sounding too "hollow". Budget
has some... ehrm.. limitations, so what does everyone think is the
best microphone with these characteristics that I can get for under
$600 (used or new)?

I am also looking for a good omni mic to pick up ambience. It should
have as detailed sound as possible, be quiet, yet fall within the
economic restrictions mentioned above. Does anyone have any tips?
Perhaps of a microphone with switchable characteristics that can cover
both my needs?

thanks!
/Lars

Easy. for the first request, check out the Audio Technica stuff like
a 4033 or 4047. Studio Projects C-1, Marshall V69, all falling under
your budget. Used you can get more; AT4050, maybe even a TLM103.
try an Earthworks SRO omni at around $350...or the 4050 listed above
set to omni. matter of fact any of these mics might work picking up
room sound in the right environment.
good luck,
kelly

Chris Del Faro

Also try out the Studio Projects lines;
1) C3 and/or T3 for LD condenser.
2) C4 for matched pair SD condensers with omni and cardiod capsules
(under $400)

If you e-mail them at www.studioprojectsusa.com they have free
"listening CD's" available of their microphones BTW.

Chris

OnDaDL247

The Audio-Technica AT4049 is good.

--
OnDaDL247

Roger W. Norman

Let's see, it's 2003. Yeah, they've probably done something minor to one of
their line mics and given it a new name and face for another $1000 retail!
g Can't stop twiddling now! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"R Krizman" wrote in message
I think Neumann has a new generation version of the TLM 103 that will go

omni.

-R