Default Sixth speaker neccessary?

If I purchase a receiver that has DD EX decoding, will it also have the
original Dolby Digital decoder to allow me to use only five speakers
since I do not have a sixth speaker yet?

James Buhler

Without knowing what kind of receiver it is, it would be hard to be 100%
sure. Most receivers will still provide 5.1 decoding options for both DD
and DTS. My Denon 3805 is a 7 channel receiver and I am only using a 5
channel setup + subwoofer. In fact, with the Denon, there is an option to
use the two spare channels to bi-amp the front speakers.

Check your manual, it should have the facts.

J.

wrote in message
ups.com...
If I purchase a receiver that has DD EX decoding, will it also have the
original Dolby Digital decoder to allow me to use only five speakers
since I do not have a sixth speaker yet?

Scott Dorsey

In article . com,
wrote:
If I purchase a receiver that has DD EX decoding, will it also have the
original Dolby Digital decoder to allow me to use only five speakers
since I do not have a sixth speaker yet?

EX is just a derived signal out of a matrix. If your decoder produces
it and you don't want it, you can just ignore it. For the most part,
I don't think it really does all that much good unless you have a very
wide room such that there is a dead spot in the surrounds under the
balcony.