Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default HELP!!! Non-Car Audio Outlook Express Question....

Hey guys, I know this not related to this forum but this has always been my
GO-TO group for answers about everything (love, life, children, meaning of
God, ect.). And I know there's a lot of computer savy folks here.

My "Inbox" folder in Outlook Express has DISAPEARED!!!!! This has NEVER
happened to me ever. I tried creating a new folder called "Inbox" but it
says one already exists!!!! If it does, why the hell can't I find it?

This is really weird. I NEED that working and NEED some of the messages I
have in there currently. I tried minimizing "Local Folders" and then
maximizing but it still isn't there. I have tried closing it and re-running
Outlook Express but no dice, same results.

Other than that, I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. I tried to send a
test message to myself and got an error message when I hit "Send/Recieve".
I can't remember what it said but I'm sure it has something to do with this
problem.

Any help would be appreciated. If this posts, clearly OE IS working to some
degree (I use OE as my newsreader and am sending this very message from it)
and my Internet connection is good.

What the hell could this be?!?!?!?

Nick aka MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Sharky Sharky is offline

This may or may not help, but I can tell you where the actual folders are
stored on the C: drive so that you can at least scan and check the inbox
file\folder to make sure it is virus\error free. I don't know what
operating system you are using, but the first is for Windows Vista. Open My
Computer and go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wind ows
Mail. Inside this directory, you will find a listing of all the folders
that are in your email. Inside the folders are files that correspond with
each message in that folder. If you are using Windows XP, they are stored
in a similar location, except each folder is a file. I'm not sure of the
exact path in Windows XP, but an easy way to find it is to search for
"Inbox" under the Search Bar in My Computer.

HTH
Sharky

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Hey thanks, your advice was the key to finding the directory and getting it
back up. All is well again. As usual, this group ALWAYS comes through for
me.

Again, it's a little sad there is so little activity these days remembering
what this group used to be like, but it's heartening to know there are still
folks waiting in the wings, checking in from time-to-time to this venerable
and at least 17 year old newsgroup (maybe older, that's just simply when I
discovered Usenet groups using good old Free-Agent under a different handle
obviously, remember that application old timers?). 17 years, wow! That's
older than a lot of the folks who are on it these days.

As I've said many times, the quality of stock systems has improved, the
INCREDIBLE, COMPLETELY UNPREDICTABLE 10 YEARS AGO popularity of compressed
audio formats, the unwillingness of the general public these days of messing
with the visual impact of today's high-tech, integrated dashes, the death of
IASCA and other SQ competing organizations (largely brought on, again, by
the regression-of-quality of recorded music because of the RIDICULOUS,
OUT-OF-CONTROL popularity of the compressed formats) has really put a HUGE
damper on this hobby.

I mean, there are those who STILL spend mega bucks on...........high-end
DAC's, tube amps, high-tech turntables, speaker cables and interconnects
(made of solid silver, THE BEST metal for electrical transmission) that cost
an average annual salary of a cop, tube-traps, Magio Dots, $3,000
headphones, new speakers that can now TRULY transport you to a live venue
are still being sold and there is still a thriving Audiophile market. BUT
IN THE CAR, I find the landscape changes dramatically. Folks are settling
SQ wise for all the reasons I've mentioned and a WHOLE lot more. I AM NOT
saying that TECHNOLOGY is slowing in the car, HU's today can do ANYTHING and
are incredibly convient. I love my Sirus radio, I love my MP3's, I love
DVD's in the car, (though I don't use) Bluetooth capability, GPS equiped
HU's, and many more features I can't think of at the moment still make the
car HU world an ever changing technology landscape that is TRULY helpful and
something I appreciate EVERY DAY.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, the days of refining your car audio system to
emulate the best Audiophile home systems is, sadly, largely over. People
ultimately want convience or a streamlined dash OVER incredible sound
quality, when forced with the choice.

Of course, I can understand this to a large degree. The cabin of a car is a
very difficult sonic environment to create INCREDIBLE sound quality for
nearly a million reasons, oneof the largest being engine, road/tire and wind
noise. Add to that the fact even with time alignment, you can not
altogether fix the fact you are NEVER sitting in the middle of your front
speaks unlike the home. There is glass that couses stange bouncing of the
signal, appolstry that absorbs sound, weird canncelation, additive effects,
and standing waves at certain frequencies caused by the strangeness of such
a small environement as the cabin of the car. AND THEN you are most likely
listening to a compressed format that even at 256 kbits sampling rate can't
compare to your standard CD.

So any more, although people want their car to sound OK, and to do a
thousand computer like things, the desire to make the car sound like the
best home system is NO LONGER A HUGE PRIORITY, as it used to be 15 years ago
and made this group so fun. I mean, I've ALSO said this perhaps a HUNDRED
times, ANY schuck can go out and buy the best Mark Levinson amps and
pre-amps and CD/DVD players. Cardas interconnects and speaker cables.
Top-of-the-line Martin Logan or Wilson Audio speakers, put it all in a
rectangle or square room and you can have INCREDIBLE sound, no fuss, no
muss.

What I have ALWAYS loved about car audio as a hobby/art is the CHALLANGES of
the cabin of a car. It makes EVERY system different because every car is
different. Car doors were not designed to be high-end speaker enclosures
(their closer to bells than speaker enclosures), the FUN is turning them
INTO high-end speaker enclosures. And on and on. THAT'S THE FUN. And the
sonic improvements never seem to end. There's almost always ONE MORE THING
you can do to improve the SQ inside your car. That is TRULY the fun for me,
because I love music and I find truly well recorded music played on a
high-quality system can be an exciting, engaging experience that transports
you to another world. I often think there are SO MANY people out there who
perhaps have NEVER heard their music played on a truly AMAZING system and
what a difference that makes as far as enjoyment. Music CAN put you in
another world, but it takes a great recording and system for this to occur.
This has been my goal for 30 years in the home and, later car. But, again,
the car is far more difficult and therefore, for me anyway, more fun.

Don't know why I went off on this rant. I really don't. Maybe bored. But I
still love this newgroup.

Take care all,
MOSFET