Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] austin.clayton@gmail.com is offline

Default Drawmer 1960 opinions?

Gee, what an old thread.

I've got a crapload of stuff and worked on most stuff that would be used in a hard rock invironment (which precludes me from knowing anything about other genre's).
All I can say is.....I am happy with it. I only own one,..and one of the meters never worked, but I'm still happy with it. I use it as a pre once in a while, a little more use as a compressor.

As far as people not wanting it to color the sound,....Well, I thought that's why there are so many things for sale. If you want something not to color the sound, then I suppose you should ask McIntosh to make you a single channel mic pre. If they tell you no....then that's them admitting that it can't be done. If they were to make you one you might not like it because it wouldn't have any particular sound at all.

Most people will not admit to themselves that they want "color". But in reality,....they just don't want the wrong color. They'll take as much of the right color they can get.

I suspect most API pre's are the most accurate. And that's exactly what you want............until you start turning knobs,..adding stuff. etc.,Then.....what happenned to most accurate.?

Since transistors were invented everyone in the elctronics world admitted that transistors are much more linear and accurate than tubes. HOWEVER,. tubes distort the same way your ear and the rest of nature distorts.... Transistors do just the opposite.

I don't think I've ever done a project where nearly every channel (at mixdown if not beforre hand) had at least one tube in the soundpath.
How many of you wouldn't mind a stack of U67s to record with. I've only ever done one project like that. But at mixdown time we sure didn't need much help. Even though it was SOOOOOOOO hard to tell the difference between the U67 in front of a Hiwatt...and a SM57 in front of a Hiwatt.. They were much easier to deal with when it came time to mix. So....you can a and b a U67 and SM57 in front of a Hiwatt all day...and not hear the difference,....and you might not even "hear" the difference when you mix..........but you will sure as hell know something is making life easy.

Recording Vocals with a Drawmer 1960 bigdane1973 Pro Audio 2 June 12th 08 12:45 PM
Drawmer 1960 versus 1969 HKC Pro Audio 1 March 15th 07 07:00 PM
Hum in Drawmer 1960 Fred Mann Pro Audio 3 June 8th 05 01:33 PM
FS: Drawmer 1960 mic-pre / tube compressor Stephen Sherrard Pro Audio 0 December 13th 03 07:02 AM
Advice needed: Drawmer 1960 in need of repair and upgrade jzb Pro Audio 3 July 28th 03 12:13 PM