Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default NOS Tubes

I have a very few NOS tubes that have been in a box for years. Is there any reason to power them up periodically?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
I have a very few NOS tubes that have been in a box for years. Is there
any reason to power them up periodically?

Only if you want to make them "Used" instead of NOS.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/11/2014 11:45 AM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
I have a very few NOS tubes that have been in a box for years. Is there
any reason to power them up periodically?

Only if you want to make them "Used" instead of NOS.

Capacitors deteriorate without voltage across them. Is that not true for tubes? I guess not.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rasta Robert Rasta Robert is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
I have a very few NOS tubes that have been in a box for years. Is there
any reason to power them up periodically?

Only if you want to make them "Used" instead of NOS.

Capacitors deteriorate without voltage across them. Is that not true for tubes? I guess not.

Only electrolytic capacitors do/need that, not regular 'unpolarized' caps.
Tubes not, when not turned on they don't detoriate/age, in that respect they are
just like a plain old light bulb.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
I have a very few NOS tubes that have been in a box for years. Is there
any reason to power them up periodically?

Only if you want to make them "Used" instead of NOS.

Capacitors deteriorate without voltage across them. Is that not true for tubes? I guess not.

Electrolytics do it, because electrolytics rely on current to keep an
oxide film formed on the plates. Normal capacitors are fine.