Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] jjregist@gmail.com is offline

Default System Advice

Through an estate sale I recently came into two monoblock 9W KT88
Qucksilver Amps and two Mcintosh XR 1051 speakers. I have connected
them together but the amplifier is severely underpowered for the
speakers. I need some advice. Should I get smaller bookshelf speakers
to match the amp w a sub or just EQ the speakers for some heaver
low-end response? Any thoughts ideas are welcome.

Speakers are like these http://mcc.berners.ch/speakers/XR1051.pdf
amps like these
http://www.quicksilveraudio.com/prod...MonoManual.pdf

Joe
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Aug 9, 3:39=A0am, wrote:
Through an estate sale I recently came into two monoblock 9W KT88
Qucksilver Amps and two Mcintosh XR 1051 speakers. I have connected
them together but the amplifier is severely underpowered for the
speakers. I need some advice. Should I get smaller bookshelf speakers
to match the amp w a sub or just EQ the speakers for some heaver
low-end response? Any thoughts ideas are welcome.

Speakers are like thesehttp://mcc.berners.ch/speakers/XR1051.pdf
amps like thesehttp://www.quicksilveraudio.com/products/SET%20MonoManual.=

pdf

Joe

if you are committed to the amps then you should get more efficient
speakers. That does not mean they have to be or should be bookshelf
speakers. Some of the most efficient speakers out there are large and
full range. EQ is the last thing you want to do. A powered sub is a
reasonable option but matching can be tricky.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Aug 10, 10:46=A0am, ScottW wrote:
On Aug 9, 2:16=A0pm, Scott wrote:

On Aug 9, 3:39=A0am, wrote:

[...]

How much will a powered sub help? =A0 You may have plenty of SPL from
the sub but peak SPL from the speakers won't change with the addition
of a sub AFAIK.

ScottW

It helps plenty by giving the amp less to do depending on the source
content of course. It also helps anytime you can get greater frequency
extension. That is my experience having had a powered sub for so many
years.

System Advice [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 4 August 11th 12 08:30 PM
NEW SUB SYSTEM ADVICE Looking4GoodSub Car Audio 1 December 20th 05 10:48 PM
New system advice nickravo General 8 March 9th 05 07:27 PM
Advice on a new system joeljkp Car Audio 0 August 21st 04 05:22 AM
Need Advice on First System SxyWWEGirl2003 Car Audio 3 December 17th 03 08:41 PM