Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Microsoft Windows Audio Sample Rate Converter Performance

Here is some information I really don't understand, but Greg Ogonowski was
talking about it on This Week in Radio Tech (on TWiT), and it sounded pretty
interesting.

http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

It would be interesting to know how much any of this affects people here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Here is some information I really don't understand, but Greg
Ogonowski was talking about it on This Week in Radio Tech (on TWiT),
and it sounded pretty interesting.

http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

It would be interesting to know how much any of this affects people
here.

I don't think anybody here uses audio that goes anywhere near that
subsystem. Most DAWs record and play directly to the interface driver,
usually ASIO.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , mcp6453
writes
Here is some information I really don't understand, but Greg Ogonowski was
talking about it on This Week in Radio Tech (on TWiT), and it sounded pretty
interesting.

http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

It would be interesting to know how much any of this affects people here.

Yes, it affects many, many people, although not necessarily here, and
I've been banging on about it for ages ever since I joined in a
discussion on the Microsoft pro-audio developer's forum.

At the moment it can affect both record and playback. The distortion
occurs when the default sample rate set via Windows Control Panel does
not match the sample rate of the audio. It is bad enough to be very
obvious, for example, even when playing audio off YouTube.
Provided the sample rate converter in XP is set to High Quality, that OS
is OK, and less src is invoked anyway. Vista and 7areaffected.
The situation is compounded by the way different applications interact
differently with the audio sections of the OS in Windows 7, and Win7's
audio procedures can be horrendous for casual users.

People particularly affected are those, often broadcasters, using
laptops with usb asio audio interfaces, but often playing back via the
on-board audio and speakers.

My last observation is that it appears that many machines (eg my
Thinkpad) arrive set up for a default record sample rate of 48kHz, but
replay defaults to 44.1. If no application alters this, it seems to me a
recipe for nasty noises.

It is good to know that Microsoft are testing a fix. Their last reply to
me indicated that a fix was not on the agenda.
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Here is some information I really don't understand, but Greg Ogonowski was
talking about it on This Week in Radio Tech (on TWiT), and it sounded pretty
interesting.

http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

It would be interesting to know how much any of this affects people here.

It shouldn't really affect anyone using professional software. But this
is what happens when a company tries to make a product that is everything
to everybody; some parts fall through the cracks and invariably there is
someone for whom those parts are very important.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Here is some information I really don't understand, but Greg Ogonowski was
talking about it on This Week in Radio Tech (on TWiT), and it sounded
pretty
interesting.

http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

It would be interesting to know how much any of this affects people here.

All I know is that I tested about 100 audio interfaces and other products
for my old PCAVTech web site and never once saw anything but ideal
performance from the digital signal path for .wav files from the media
player and other XP system software, that were looped back for rerecording
on the same PC. This was XP SP1 and SP2.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Here is some information I really don't understand, but Greg Ogonowski
was
talking about it on This Week in Radio Tech (on TWiT), and it sounded
pretty
interesting.

http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

It would be interesting to know how much any of this affects people here.

All I know is that I tested about 100 audio interfaces and other products
for my old PCAVTech web site and never once saw anything but ideal
performance from the digital signal path for .wav files from the media
player and other XP system software, that were looped back for rerecording
on the same PC. This was XP SP1 and SP2 with maybe a bit of Win98SE and
Win95 thrown in during the early days.

BTW, all of my work used the Windows MMC interface, not ASIO.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , Arny Krueger
writes
All I know is that I tested about 100 audio interfaces and other
products for my old PCAVTech web site and never once saw anything but
ideal performance from the digital signal path for .wav files from the
media player and other XP system software, that were looped back for
rerecording on the same PC. This was XP SP1 and SP2.

Which is another reason why so many of us are stuck with XP for serious
audio.

I've now re-read the original post and have serious doubts about the
conclusions, or maybe the tests themselves.

I can quite clearly demonstrate the effects on playback, rather than
just on record.
It is also clear that this problem can affect many of those who use
audio professionally even if they are not audio professionals.

Example: When previewing in Sony Vegas in Windows 7 with the wrong
default sample rate selected, the distortion is obvious.
--
Bill