Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default How does one go about selling a song?

I come from an academic music background. I know
how to ship a score for a particular set of instruments.

I'm curious though, about popular music in all of it's forms.
If I were to write a 'song', and try to sell it, what form
would it take? I'm familiar with the song books that one
finds in a music shop. Some sort of reduction with chord
charts and lyrics etc.

When someone sells a song to a current popular artist, whatever
the genre, what does the artist get? Is there sometimes a demo
recording to cement the intent? What would the 'music' (sheet)
look like?

Thanks,

Tobiah

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/23/2019 8:18 PM, Tobiah wrote:
If I were to write a 'song', and try to sell it, what form
would it take?Â* I'm familiar with the song books that one
finds in a music shop.Â* Some sort of reduction with chord
charts and lyrics etc.

When someone sells a song to a current popular artist, whatever
the genre, what does the artist get?Â* Is there sometimes a demo
recording to cement the intent?

You'd get a lawyer who would, after you've done all the paperwork, get
the song into the hands of a producer or artist's representative. A demo
is the usual means of submission, arranged and performed in a way that
the artist or producer would recognize that the song is a good fit.

There are agencies, Taxi is one example, who match songs with people who
are looking for them, but pitching a song to a particular artist out of
the blue is a very long shot unless you have a very well established
reputation with a publisher who knows who might be looking for a song
like yours.

Don't quit your day job.

Or you could put it on YouTube and hope it goes viral.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Olhsson Bob Olhsson is offline

A lot of people work through performance rights organizations such as ASCAP. They have representatives in many cities.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 7/24/19 6:43 PM, Bob Olhsson wrote:
A lot of people work through performance rights organizations such as
ASCAP. They have representatives in many cities.

I guess I was more interested in what the end product would
look like. It used to be that a score would suffice. Today
it seems like a demo recording might be necessary.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 25/07/2019 18:03, Tobiah wrote:
On 7/24/19 6:43 PM, Bob Olhsson wrote:
A lot of people work through performance rights organizations such as
ASCAP. They have representatives in many cities.

I guess I was more interested in what the end product would
look like. It used to be that a score would suffice. Today
it seems like a demo recording might be necessary.

If you join one of the writers' organisations, they have advice
available on how to improve your chances of a sale, as well as a wide
client base, all of whom writers can access easily.

In America, ASCAP, and in the UK, the performing Rights Society are the
most widely used.

If the tune is good, then a MIDI backing track rendered to an audio
format will probably be enough, unless the song relies on any special
instrumental or vocal effects.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 7/25/2019 12:03 PM, Tobiah wrote:
On 7/24/19 6:43 PM, Bob Olhsson wrote:
A lot of people work through performance rights organizations such as
ASCAP. They have representatives in many cities.

I guess I was more interested in what the end product would
look like.Â* It used to be that a score would suffice.Â* Today
it seems like a demo recording might be necessary.

When was in Nashville in the '70s demos were the order of the day among writers,
publishers and etc. I never saw a score on anything except the chord charts the
session men used while playing. If you are trying to sell a song an impressive
demo would help. I can't think of anybody that would have been fired up over a
score.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

Q. How to sell a song ?

A. Sing it brilliantly with heaps of feeling.

Eg, Stevie Nicks performing "Dreams".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrZRURcb1cM

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On 7/23/2019 8:18 PM, Tobiah wrote:
If I were to write a 'song', and try to sell it, what form
would it take?Â* I'm familiar with the song books that one
finds in a music shop.Â* Some sort of reduction with chord
charts and lyrics etc.

When someone sells a song to a current popular artist, whatever
the genre, what does the artist get?Â* Is there sometimes a demo
recording to cement the intent?

In the rock and pop world, there are seldom charts. Everything goes on
the demo recording.

In some other genres, there are charts or tabs that usually are supplied
by the songwriter in addition to the demo.

Sometimes the songwriter will provide a full arrangement, sometimes not.
but always they will provide a demo.

If you join Taxi or similar organizations they will walk you through what
people tend to want. But they always want a demo.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:
Tobiah wrote:

Q. How to sell a song ?

A. Sing it brilliantly with heaps of feeling.

Oh yeah, and how do I get to Carnegie Hall?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/29/2019 10:34 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Sometimes the songwriter will provide a full arrangement, sometimes not.
but always they will provide a demo.

And sometimes the producer will do the arrangement and write charts (or
hire someone to do it), and hire the musicians. And sometimes they'll
rewrite the lyrics, too, if they think it will make the song more
commercial and, as co-writer, get a piece of the writing royalties.

Of course an independent artist with an independent release doesn't have
to change anything, but once you get into the commercial world, it's a
team effort and everyone gets a piece of the pie.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 7/29/2019 9:35 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:
Tobiah wrote:

Q. How to sell a song ?

A. Sing it brilliantly with heaps of feeling.

Oh yeah, and how do I get to Carnegie Hall?
--scott

Come on Scott... You know the answer. "Practice man, practice." :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 30/07/2019 2:35 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:
Tobiah wrote:

Q. How to sell a song ?

A. Sing it brilliantly with heaps of feeling.

Oh yeah, and how do I get to Carnegie Hall?
--scott

Just head up 7th Ave . It's between W.56th and W.57th Streets.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Olhsson Bob Olhsson is offline

The old-timers have told me that the ideal is a simple self-accompanied vocal provided the song is good enough. Good enough is the catch. The only songs anybody is likely to record is something significantly better than what they or their friends can come up with. That's a high bar.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/30/2019 2:18 PM, Bob Olhsson wrote:
The old-timers have told me that the ideal is a simple self-accompanied vocal provided the song is good enough. Good enough is the catch. The only songs anybody is likely to record is something significantly better than what they or their friends can come up with. That's a high bar.

That's a good point. When I was there I heard many a producer say that nobody
could predict a hit. Are the major labels still the mass producers or are
independents getting their share? I see some classical guitarists on Youtube
selling their CDs. Apparently some are successful to a degree. Of course being
concert artists no doubt helps their sales.

Selling an SM7 mcp6453[_2_] Pro Audio 2 June 8th 11 03:36 PM
Is a song still considered a "song" if you haven't recorded it yet? J.C. Scott Pro Audio 30 June 17th 06 07:55 AM
What Will They Think of Selling Next? Mike Rivers Pro Audio 0 September 29th 04 09:20 PM
Selling Car... Bryan Jackson Car Audio 1 August 18th 04 04:51 PM
Everyone's Selling a TLM-103 GermanDeathTickle Pro Audio 20 March 18th 04 10:44 AM