Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Default I thought I was making a joke this morning but.....

There really is such a thing as an electric kazoo!

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ID=354 905425

I can die and go to heaven now.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:
There really is such a thing as an electric kazoo!

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ID=354 905425

I can die and go to heaven now.

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad. But there is no inherent reason
why one couldn't do a good job of miking a kazoo. Maybe with a good quality
condenser mike? The first step is finding a good quality kazoo that has a
pleasing sound. (If there is such a thing.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ns-Hummbucker-...

I can die and go to heaven now.

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad. But there is no inherent reason
why one couldn't do a good job of miking a kazoo. Maybe with a good quality
condenser mike? The first step is finding a good quality kazoo that has a
pleasing sound. (If there is such a thing.)

Its the last part of your statement that made me laugh my butt off
when I found it. Of course someone (Maybe Weird Al) would want one but
it never crossed my mind someone would actually market one.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

There really is such a thing as an electric kazoo!

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ns-Hummbucker-...

I can die and go to heaven now.

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad. But there is no inherent
reason why one couldn't do a good job of miking a kazoo. Maybe with
a good quality condenser mike? The first step is finding a good
quality kazoo that has a pleasing sound. (If there is such a thing.)

Its the last part of your statement that made me laugh my butt off
when I found it. Of course someone (Maybe Weird Al) would want one but
it never crossed my mind someone would actually market one.

Basically they are a modifier of the human voice or hum. The idea has a lot
of potential when viewed in that light. Perhaps a fully electronic kazoo
could be made that turned ones "humm" into a caruso like aria....:*)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

There really is such a thing as an electric kazoo!

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ns-Hummbucker-....

I can die and go to heaven now.

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad. But there is no inherent
reason why one couldn't do a good job of miking a kazoo. Maybe with
a good quality condenser mike? The first step is finding a good
quality kazoo that has a pleasing sound. (If there is such a thing.)

Its the last part of your statement that made me laugh my butt off
when I found it. Of course someone (Maybe Weird Al) would want one but
it never crossed my mind someone would actually market one.

Basically they are a modifier of the human voice or hum. The idea has a lot
of potential when viewed in that light. Perhaps a fully electronic kazoo
could be made that turned ones "humm" into a caruso like aria....:*)

That is a healthy and positive attitude (while I laugh thinking of the
silliness you can half with one ;-)

For me, just the word kazoo conjures up a group of images including
rubber chickens and whoopy cushions

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

Wasn't a kazoo used by Peter Paul and Mary in
"San Francisco Bay Blues", semi-seriously?
Presumably they had to deal with how best to
mic it so it would sound decent.

: Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:
:
: There really is such a thing as an electric kazoo!
:
: http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ns-Hummbucker-...
:
: I can die and go to heaven now.
:
: The reviewer says the tone quality is bad. But there is no inherent reason
: why one couldn't do a good job of miking a kazoo. Maybe with a good quality
: condenser mike? The first step is finding a good quality kazoo that has a
: pleasing sound. (If there is such a thing.)

: Its the last part of your statement that made me laugh my butt off
: when I found it. Of course someone (Maybe Weird Al) would want one but
: it never crossed my mind someone would actually market one.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

For me, just the word kazoo conjures up a group of images including
rubber chickens and whoopy cushions

You can buy kazoo records on Yazoo Records at Wazoo Records.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
--D-y --D-y is offline

On May 4, 9:20*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

For me, just the word kazoo conjures up a group of images including
rubber chickens and whoopy cushions

You can buy kazoo records on Yazoo Records at Wazoo Records.

Damn. I searched "kazoo" and didn't see any.
Yazoo's site showed only a Jesse Fuller reference IRT a "Masters of
the Country Blues" video collection.

The Lyons Hummbucker rig looks to be definitely urban, post-war.
Chicago Blues Kazoo?
--D-y

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

On May 3, 10:59*pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad.

Yes, I am really saddened by the poor tone quality of modern kazoos.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
vdubreeze wrote:
On May 3, 10:59=A0pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad.

Yes, I am really saddened by the poor tone quality of modern kazoos.

I don't know about the electric kazoo, but I have repaired electric bagpipes.
They were kind of interesting, really just a bunch of CMOS logic and a
reference oscillator.

The whole notion of electric bagpipes is fascinating; unlike most other
electric instruments, they are electrified in order to make them quieter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Clayton Mike Clayton is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

The whole notion of electric bagpipes is fascinating; unlike most other
electric instruments, they are electrified in order to make them quieter.
--scott

Is the apocalypse on us? Who in their right mind would want to make
bagpipes quieter? g

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 5/4/2011 10:41 AM, --D-y wrote:

Yazoo's site showed only a Jesse Fuller reference IRT a "Masters of
the Country Blues" video collection.

Jesse Fuller was a hoot. I'll bet a video is worth seeing.
When I was in college, our folk music club presented him in
concert and he had so much haywire that the fire marshal
almost wouldn't let him go on stage.

The Lyons Hummbucker rig looks to be definitely urban, post-war.
Chicago Blues Kazoo?

Now here's a kazoo for you: http://i.imgur.com/il56w.jpg

The Mattel Bath House Brass was, as you'd expect from a toy
company, sold as a toy, but it's a fabulous kazoo. It came
in three sizes (this is the smallest), all of which look
like plumbing parts. A friend of mine (he was a science
writer) wrote to Mattel, convinced them that it was a
perfectly respectable musical instrument, and they donated
25 of them to the local neighborhood classical music
consortium that he worked with. They played the first
movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony on 20 Bath House
Brass kazoos and a washtub bass. It was recorded but I have
no idea where the recording is today.

The pieces snap together and when the concert was over, he
collected the instruments that the players didn't want to
keep for themselves, and put them together as a kazoo about
12 feet long that he could wrap a few times around his body.

The Bath House Brass was in and out of the market in less
than about two years. I wonder if it's worth a small fortune
today. Can't tell. There aren't any for sale on eBay at the
moment. But just in case, I'll consider offers over $20,000.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On May 4, 4:11*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/4/2011 10:41 AM, --D-y wrote:

[...]

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

Pasadina California has a parade on the day after Thanksgiving called
the do da parade and on the same streets the Rose Parade. There are
always a few kazoo bands in that one. I'm going to have to pay more
attention next time I'm out for it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

On May 4, 4:28*pm, Mike Clayton
wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
The whole notion of electric bagpipes is fascinating; unlike most other
electric instruments, they are electrified in order to make them quieter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On May 4, 11:04*pm, vdubreeze wrote:
On May 4, 4:28*pm, Mike Clayton
wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:
The whole notion of electric bagpipes is fascinating; unlike most other
electric instruments, they are electrified in order to make them quieter.
--scott

Is the apocalypse on us? Who in their right mind would want to make
bagpipes quieter? g

Anyone within earshot?

I think the only reason anyone sits around and listens to bagpipes is
for the laugh they get when the guys come marching out in skirts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

There really is such a thing as an electric kazoo!

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ns-Hummbucker-...

I can die and go to heaven now.

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad. But there is no inherent
reason why one couldn't do a good job of miking a kazoo. Maybe with
a good quality condenser mike? The first step is finding a good
quality kazoo that has a pleasing sound. (If there is such a thing.)

Its the last part of your statement that made me laugh my butt off
when I found it. Of course someone (Maybe Weird Al) would want one
but it never crossed my mind someone would actually market one.

I can envision a top end kazoo made of birds eye maple with a sax-style read
that sells for 100 bucks..... Is this just a wild dream? Look at what
happened to the ocarina (sweet potato) I played as a kid... It turned into a
recorder made of fine wood and selling for over a hundred bucks. Why not a
kazoo?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

vdubreeze wrote:
On May 3, 10:59 pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad.

Yes, I am really saddened by the poor tone quality of modern kazoos.

Just pay several hundred dollars for one made of some exotic African wood,
and see how much the sound improves....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article
,
vdubreeze wrote:
On May 3, 10:59=A0pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad.

Yes, I am really saddened by the poor tone quality of modern kazoos.

I don't know about the electric kazoo, but I have repaired electric
bagpipes. They were kind of interesting, really just a bunch of CMOS
logic and a reference oscillator.

The whole notion of electric bagpipes is fascinating; unlike most
other electric instruments, they are electrified in order to make
them quieter. --scott

A couple of our accordion players in my dance band have electronic
accordions. They sound the same, (to me) but they are a lot lighter in
weight.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Clayton wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

The whole notion of electric bagpipes is fascinating; unlike most
other electric instruments, they are electrified in order to make
them quieter. --scott

Is the apocalypse on us? Who in their right mind would want to make
bagpipes quieter? g

Mike

That's like an electronic steam calliope...:^)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/4/2011 10:41 AM, --D-y wrote:

[...]

I wonder if they have bass kazoos?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ is offline

On May 6, 1:16*am, "Bill Graham" wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article
,
vdubreeze wrote:
On May 3, 10:59=A0pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:

The reviewer says the tone quality is bad.

Yes, I am really saddened by the poor tone quality of modern kazoos.

I don't know about the electric kazoo, but I have repaired electric
bagpipes. They were kind of interesting, really just a bunch of CMOS
logic and a reference oscillator.

The whole notion of electric bagpipes is fascinating; unlike most
other electric instruments, they are electrified in order to make
them quieter. --scott

A couple of our accordion players in my dance band have electronic
accordions. They sound the same, (to me) but they are a lot lighter in
weight.

Hey now! Don't go picking on accordions.
(this message brought to you from Acadiana LA)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/6/2011 1:43 AM, Bill Graham wrote:
I can envision a top end kazoo made of birds eye maple with
a sax-style read that sells for 100 bucks..... Is this just
a wild dream?

It just wouldn't work out right. The tone of a wooden reed
and body just isn't right. During the jug band revival of
the 1960s, people were arguing about whether Ace hard rubber
combs or plastic combs were better, and whether wax paper or
a new dollar bill made a better reed.

Look at what happened to the ocarina (sweet
potato) I played as a kid... It turned into a recorder made
of fine wood and selling for over a hundred bucks.

The recorder and ocarina are really different instruments.
Wooden recorders came first (it's a very old instrument) and
plastic ones that we played in elementary school (and the
Tonette, a small cousin) came much later.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Art Cohen[_2_] Art Cohen[_2_] is offline

In article , weg9
@comcast.net says...

Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ wrote:

[...]

I have a finely crafted hardwood kazoo. It's flat and wide with dual
whizzers - one on each side. Sounds about the same as a regular kazoo,
but it's easier to fit into a harmonica brace so I can play it and
guitar at the same time.

Art Cohen
Alpenhof Studio