John Supko John Supko is offline
Junior Member

Default Digi 002 / Genelec 6010a/5040a 5.1 system distortion problem

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my Digi 002 to work with the Genelec 6010a/5040a surround system. Last week the 002's power harness finally died, so I sent it off for repair. I got it back today, $300 later, & while the power harness issue seems to have been resolved, I am encountering a new problem: the audio from the 002 out of the 6010a's is horribly distorted. This is the signal chain:

MacBook Pro (Intel)
Firewire 400/800 cable to Digi 002
002 outs 1-6 via unbalanced 1/4" to RCA adapters
6 RCA cables into Genelec 5040a subwoofer
5 RCA cables out of 5040a to the Genelec 6010a's

The weird thing is that the audio sounds fine from the Main stereo 1/4" outs
(with the same 1/4" to RCA adapters as above) & it's also fine from the RCA stereo outs... but horrible from mono 1/4" outs 1-6.

The sampling rate is set at 44.1k, although the kind of distortion I'm hearing sounds like a sampling rate problem. Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening? I'd really appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!
John Supko
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 5/4/2011 10:07 PM, John Supko wrote:

I'm trying to set up my Digi 002 to work with the Genelec 6010a/5040a
surround system. Last week the 002's power harness finally died, so I
sent it off for repair. I got it back today, $300 later,& while the
power harness issue seems to have been resolved, I am encountering a new
problem: the audio from the 002 out of the 6010a's is horribly
distorted.

002 outs 1-6 via unbalanced 1/4" to RCA adapters
6 RCA cables into Genelec 5040a subwoofer
5 RCA cables out of 5040a to the Genelec 6010a's

Did it work before you sent the Digidesign 002 off for
repair? And what's with this power harness thing? Yours is
the second one I've heard of recently that has had a "power
harness" replaced.

If you leave the subwoofer out of the system, do the outputs
sound OK going directly to the main speakers? It's an easy
test. Just send the same thing to all the outputs and plug
each one in turn into one speaker.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

John Supko wrote:

I'm trying to set up my Digi 002 to work with the Genelec 6010a/5040a
surround system. Last week the 002's power harness finally died, so I
sent it off for repair. I got it back today, $300 later, & while the
power harness issue seems to have been resolved, I am encountering a new
problem: the audio from the 002 out of the 6010a's is horribly
distorted.

If you plug a headphone into the 1/4" output, does it sound okay or does
it sound distorted?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Preben Friis Preben Friis is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...
And what's with this power harness thing? Yours is the second one I've
heard of recently that has had a "power harness" replaced.

It's a fairly common issue for Digi 002 and Digi 002R interfaces where the
connectors on the power harness fails to deliver current to the main board.
Kind of like the Mackie ribbon cable issue...

--
/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 5 May 2011 08:57:51 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

And what's with this power harness thing? Yours is the second one I've heard
of recently that has had a "power harness" replaced.

A known and common 002 problem on early production models. I just had to
reseat mine after replacing it about 5-6 years ago.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA