Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Default Time to retire the SDR24/96

Frank Stearns writes:

snip

I was at a concert just the other day. The speakers were domestic Hi
Fi - Big KEFs. The mics were Schoeps omnis and the sound level was
just high enough to add clarity rather than volume. Best PA I have
ever heard.

Good gear indeed helps, but you just revealed perhaps the single Big
Secret of really good PA -- turn it down!

INdeed, I always thought that's the goal, minimum necessary
to just reinforce.

Reinforce, add body, add clarity, but try to avoid if at all
possible getting way
ahead of the actual acoustic source.

Agreed, but as somebody noted elsewhere, often for spoken
word etc. people demand a bit more than would be thought
necessary.

Extra gold stars for delaying the PA signal(s) just enough to avoid
any potential
comb filter issues between PA system sound and natural sound of the
source.

That means thinking about the deployment of speakers,
deploying them so as to delay appropriately, more than just
a couple speakers on sticks, or even a center cluster.

OFtentimes more sound reinforcement is required than
necessary because the audience doesn't pay good attention
during the performance, life still goes on. The audience
itself is a significant noise source grin.

Regards,
Richard