Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default New Basic Version of Red-Eye - the Dee-Eye

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye. Daren put this
together in response to sound humans requesting it for venues.

No battery, no boost, no high frequency control - phantom powered, tuner
loop, input and output, in a very small box, built very stoutly.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

hank alrich wrote:

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye. Daren put this
together in response to sound humans requesting it for venues.

No battery, no boost, no high frequency control - phantom powered,
tuner loop, input and output, in a very small box, built very stoutly.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

Neat, thanks!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye. Daren put this
together in response to sound humans requesting it for venues.

No battery, no boost, no high frequency control - phantom powered,
tuner loop, input and output, in a very small box, built very stoutly.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

Neat, thanks!

Daren comes to most o four shows when we play in Austin. He's a fan of
acoustic music, even when, as this morning, it gets played in a packed
and noisy brunch venue.

He brought the very first Dee-Eye to show me, and left it with me as a
demo unit. It is remarkably compact.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

(hank alrich) wrote in news:1kcukbr.1b4h9rp1r4yioyN%
:

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely

featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye. Daren put

this
together in response to sound humans requesting it for venues.

No battery, no boost, no high frequency control - phantom powered,
tuner loop, input and output, in a very small box, built very

stoutly.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

Neat, thanks!

Daren comes to most o four shows when we play in Austin. He's a fan of
acoustic music, even when, as this morning, it gets played in a packed
and noisy brunch venue.

He brought the very first Dee-Eye to show me, and left it with me as a
demo unit. It is remarkably compact.

Do you know what the input impedance and gain specs are on these units?
Greater the 1M ohm is not a spec and I'd like to know how much
amplification they provide, 10dB, 20dB.....?

Steve Hawkins
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

He doesn't spec the input impedance beyond that statement.

Once upon a time that might have put me off. Fortunately my first
introduction to the device was during a soundcheck, when Mark Creaney
noticed I had a guitar in one hand, a mandolin in the other, and a
single PADI, and offered me another DI so I wouldn't have to swap
instruments into the Baggs. I connected the mando, hit a chord and went
"WTF???"

They provide almost no amplification when not in boost mode, and even
then, the output level is within what we would call mic level. Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo pickup
into a balanced mic feed. IME they also work extremely well with passive
electromagnetic pickups, i.e., with Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, Jazz and P
basses, Bill Lawrence pickups, etc.

In fact, internally, once the signal is buffered at the input, the level
is decreased in order to prevent clipping in the effect stomp boxes many
players deploy. During his prototyping stage he found that he'd created
a fine sounding device that often turned to crap when those effects were
inserted. He bought a bunch of stomp boxes, hit his test bench with them
and discovered that almost all of them clipped at a surprisingly low
input level.

Shaidri and I recently went to Daren's house and connected the walnut
McC and her fiddle to a Red Eye Twin Mix, to see if we could clip it
while feeding it both sources. The 'scope told us, "No way", and I
heartily flogged the guitar, while she laid into the fiddle, which even
with normal playing has much greater output than the K&K rig.

The original Red-Eye Twin will be superseded by the Mix version once the
original Twin stock has been sold.

The Dee-Eye has even more headroom, and will not clip with a 5V input.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline

hank alrich wrote:

Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo pickup
into a balanced mic feed.

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

--
LP
http://www.LarryPattis.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

(hank alrich) wrote in news:1kcvl84.n43bd81d7764cN%
:

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

Thanks! If he ever decides to do a preamp, let me know.

Steve Hawkins
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Cliff Cliff is offline

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye.

Just in time for Christmas too.......they could have called it
'Rudolph', the Red-Eyed Rein-Dee-Eye.

C.