John A. Weeks III

Default Hacking together a stereo for garage .. help.

In article
e.rogers.com,
mbeaton wrote:

I've never known much about car audio, other than how to pay for it and how
to use it. I've never done anything sophisticated for myself in this area.
I was hoping somebody could help me out here, and tell me what I need to get
this working. I know I need to reduce the voltage to 12V, which you can buy
converters for correct? Somebody told me they were about $70CA, which seems
a little high, but anyways. Looks lke I also need a few other things as
well. I've attached a picture of the back of the unit, and I've circled the
inputs/outputs ... could somebody explain what these are? If this is not
the right forum for this type of question, please feel free to put me in my
place too! Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

You will need to know the power draw of the stereo unit. Radio Shack
has a 12 volt supply at 2.5 amps. That will be enough to run the
unit, but might now allow it to get too loud. A car battery with a
battery charger might work better, or a larger bench test power supply
would be best. These are going to run some money.

The round connector is for the antenna. You can get that at Radio
Shack. The two 3-pin connectors are for power and speakers. Which
is which and what the pin-out is will be your task to find out. You
might be able to get this from the net, or by going to the dealer.
Basically, you are going to have a power plug with a ground, a 12V
hot all the time (for the clock), and a 12 volt switched (for the
radio). In your case, if you don't need the clock, just tie the
two hot wires together. The speakers likely are going to have two
(+) outputs, one for right, one for left, and one (-) output. You
hook the (+) wires one to each speaker, and the (-) from each
speaker is tied together to the radio (-). Be very careful here
that this is indeed the way it works. If there are two (-) speaker
wires, then you have computer chip audio amps, and they will blow
quickly if they are not connected exactly the way they would be in
your car.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
mbeaton

John, thanks for your detailed information. Due to my ignorance re. this
stuff, I was hoping it was a little simpler. But from what I read, it seems
a little too involved. For the amount of money I would spend on misc. items
I could probably get an old house amp from ebay to power my speakers and
avoid the headache.

Therefore, FOR SALE: 1 Car Stereo deck, $25! See previous post for pics.

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article
e.rogers.com,