Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

Default For Geek Bob

http://www.i4u.com/article6402.html

In addition to ipod functionality..
this is one of the first generation new TV phones. LGE has one in
test as well.

The DMB function is Qualcomms mediaflo.
http://www.qualcomm.com/mediaflo/index.shtml

They bought spectrum (UHF channel 55 IIRC) and will
begin offering digital broadcast in most major metro centers by year
end.

Verizon has already signed up to offer the service to their
subscribers.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
soundhaspriority soundhaspriority is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
http://www.i4u.com/article6402.html

In addition to ipod functionality..
this is one of the first generation new TV phones. LGE has one in test
as well.

The DMB function is Qualcomms mediaflo.
http://www.qualcomm.com/mediaflo/index.shtml

They bought spectrum (UHF channel 55 IIRC) and will
begin offering digital broadcast in most major metro centers by year end.

Verizon has already signed up to offer the service to their subscribers.

ScottW

Thanks, Scott, for the heads up. Although I am professionally involved in
media creation, I am personally more of a data/text person.I carry a
subnotebook everywhere I go, and two EDGE data terminals: one card, one
phone. When available I may add a Sprint EVDO rev A card, or simply upgrade
to T-Mobile's coming HSPDA. I actually prefer to view static websites. In
terms of media leverage, however, video is where it's at.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

There will be universal phones available in a year... but I'm not sure
if they've worked out the kinks with the network operators...
for example can you pick the fastest data service available without
incurring some ridiculous roaming fees?
Have to wait and see on that one.

Why can't you use your phone as modem? Do they allow the
data card and phone to share time/data service on one account or is it
considered
two numbers?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
soundhaspriority soundhaspriority is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

I can and I do. But I used to have a Nokia 6820, which is only an EDGE Class
6 device.

Do they allow the
data card and phone to share time/data service on one account or is it
considered
two numbers?

I swap the SIM card. The tradeoffs are as follows:
1. The Sierrra 775 card is a Class 12 EDGE device - 4 slots down/up. It has
a large power budget, with a Blackfin software radio and 2watts/800mHz,
1watt/1900 mHz.
2. The HTC Wizard is a Class 10 EDGE device - 4slots down/1 up.It doesn't
have the power budget. It seems to have additional latency over that
inherent in GPRS/EDGE. It used to be that Google would seldom load. It
appears that sites that were Ackamai hosted would load, but others with
large back ends would not. I haven't checked since I installed the new AKU
2.0 ROM image, but this is why I bought the card.

Currently, T-Mobile charge nothing for domestic roaming. There is good
signal in much of the southwest. There is also bad signal in much of the
southwest. The Northeast is very good, frequently providing downlink at the
theoretical maximum EDGE speed of 236 kbs. People who use Sprint EVDO for
onsite service in suburban Philly report mediocre coverage, with dropback
most of the time to 1xRTT. Now my old standbys, the T-mobile hotspots are
giving me trouble. The installations did not anticipate local competition.
In many seats, one cannot log into their vaunted 802.1x network, sometimes
not even their open network.

So it's very much a crapshoot. The coverage maps are not truthful. The
purpose of another connection card would be to increase the chances of
broadband.

HTC has a new phone, the TYTN,
http://www.europe.htc.com/products/htctytn.html, which actually has
universal triband HSPDA coverage on top of UMTS, EDGE, and GPRS. However,
reports are that the phone simply cannot host a modem connection at full
speed, which is faster than Bluetooth 2.0. I don't have any data on phones
that can act as a broadband modem without a speed penalty, but I know of
several that cannot. New HTC models seem to have buggy ROM code. It took
them six months to straighten out the Wizard. It would seem that because PC
cards are simpler devices with larger power budgets, they should be assumed
more reliable, in the absence of substantial user experience with 3G phones
for laptop data.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

WiFi was simply never designed to have lots of access points operating
in an area. No coordinated channel assignment..its just a free for
all
RF wise.

[...]

Thats generally true...but because the PC card market is
substantially
smaller than phones...they use the same basic chipsets as phones.
We use cellular modems in equipment tracking and sometimes
its a challenge to make sure all the ancillary features remain off in
the
modems chipset.

I can't tell what the HTC design is based on...but it isn't quite
universal yet.
This chipset gets real close to universal coverage with minor variance
in
RF bands supported depending on the chips used.

http://www.cdmatech.com/download_lib...00_chipset.pdf

It remains to be seen how many manufacturers will support the "global"
roaming market and what kind of premium they can charge.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"ScottW" wrote in message
newsFjIg.7600$Mz3.5250@fed1read07...

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

Not as a rule. Perhaps some do, but as a counterexample, the Sierra 775 EDGE
cardbus card uses a Blackfin software radio:
http://www.analog.com/processors/bla...ics/index.html
The card draws a tremendous amount of power and runs HOT. It could never be
powered off a cellphone battery. The HTC Wizard uses the dual core TI OMAP
850:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...contentId=4679

While the Blackfin radio is completely firmware, the OMAP 850 was designed
for EDGE, period. It's built into the DSP core. Firmware, but specialized.
The WM5 core is a typical ARM derivative.

ARM cores do not have DMA. They are strictly PIO. This is the cause of the
data bottleneck. The ARM core simply can't ship the data out the usb port,
or bluetooth, as fast as it comes in. This is another reason to go with a pc
card.

We use cellular modems in equipment tracking and sometimes
its a challenge to make sure all the ancillary features remain off in the
modems chipset.

I can't tell what the HTC design is based on...but it isn't quite
universal yet.

The Tytn uses a Samsung 400 mHz ARM core. I don't know what the phone chip
is.

This chipset gets real close to universal coverage with minor variance in
RF bands supported depending on the chips used.

http://www.cdmatech.com/download_lib...00_chipset.pdf

That is very impressive. What's missing from this picture is the willingness
of carriers to allow subscribers to roam at reasonable rates.

It remains to be seen how many manufacturers will support the "global"
roaming market and what kind of premium they can charge.

ScottW

The question is, how/will Verizon, Sprint, and others use it to our least
advantage ? They all want to lock us in and charge exorbitant rates for
data. That's one reason I went with T-Mobile. A Wizard is easy to unlock,
and with 4-band EDGE/GRPS, closest to global as currently available. And
T-Mobile data is cheap, if slow away from hotspots.

By 2010, Vista will be in handhelds. See
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06..._sells_xscale/ The days of
ARM cores are numbered. But power consumption will always be a problem for
broadband. Current user experience indicates marginal talk time with UMTS.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
soundhaspriority soundhaspriority is offline

Default August FCC auctions

This will play a major role in the shape of US wireless data markets:
http://news.com.com/Satellite+TV+pro...3-6106513.html

T-Mobile and Verizon are squared off against each other. T-Mobile is
desperate for spectrum. If they don't get it, their position here will be
marginal.

Verizon is a Philly company, but I can't root for them, because they act
like a bunch of Nazis. They lobbied heavily against Internet neutrality.
Their data is expensive.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
newsFjIg.7600$Mz3.5250@fed1read07...

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

Its a fully software configurable digital radio configurable for X-fm
and the like as well.
No wonder it runs hot... It is still an example that the digital
wireless modem
isn't large enough for dedicated hardware development.

The HTC Wizard uses the dual core TI OMAP 850:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...contentId=4679

While the Blackfin radio is completely firmware, the OMAP 850 was
designed for EDGE, period. It's built into the DSP core. Firmware,
but specialized. The WM5 core is a typical ARM derivative.

ARM cores do not have DMA.

Not true. ARM11 used as an application processor in the
chipset I referenced does.

http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/fam...M11Family.html

[...]

Verizon had no EVDO competition until recently with Sprint and
as you know..EDGE really isn't competition so it is priced
accordingly.
Until 3 or 4 providers get to comparable technical capability
so they can really compete..data prices will remain high.
Not enough subscribers are making the service provider
decisions based on data..yet.
Starting to look like the phone/ipod convergence may be the
app to change that.

By 2010, Vista will be in handhelds. See
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06..._sells_xscale/

Maybe but they couldn't make it in the market with Xscale
so why will Vista be different?
Intel as a company is really F'd right now.
The sold Xscale cuz they never really broke into handhelds.
I remember the bid deal all the analysts made when Intel announced
their plans to enter the mobile market...
They ****ed away billions on Xscale and get what in return?
They're also rapidly losing out int the flash commodity business
which is also up for sale.
Intel is in serious decline right now.

The days of ARM cores are numbered.

I don't see that at all. Intel has gone after the mobile market
before and failed...they simply can't catch up and with AMD nipping
away
the desktop market they need to protect that.

But power consumption will always be a problem for broadband.
Current user experience indicates marginal talk time with UMTS.

Always the case with first generation new technology.
CDMA..GSM all went through the power optimization process.
First you get it to work..then you get it to work well.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"ScottW" wrote in message
newsFjIg.7600$Mz3.5250@fed1read07...

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

I got my info from a WM5 app programmer. FWIW, he says DMA is not available
to him for his product, which is an SP/DIF CF card. But the picture is more
complicated than I thought.
[snip]
The days of ARM cores are numbered.

I don't see that at all. Intel has gone after the mobile market
before and failed...they simply can't catch up and with AMD nipping away
the desktop market they need to protect that.

Intel is stretched, but they knew what they were doing when they sold Xscale
to Marvell. The ARM core,which is based on the ancient 6502, was intended
for one purpose: production of a very small, cheap processor using obsolete
foundary equipment that otherwise would have to be disposed of. Look at the
geometries: the ARM is being made on 130um, while Intel and AMD are at
65um. The ARM did well, but it is a dead-end concept. While a sophisticated
core, be it from Intel or AMD can eventually be shrunk to fit a PDA, the
simplicity of the ARM has nowhere to go as a competitive feature.. So ARM
will be replaced. Who will do it? A player with the technology in 2010 to
make a 20 nm core. There are only three possibilities: Intel, AMD, or,
(maybe) Via.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"ScottW" wrote in message
newsFjIg.7600$Mz3.5250@fed1read07...

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
http://www.i4u.com/article6402.html

[snip]

ARM cores do not have DMA.

Not true. ARM11 used as an application processor in the
chipset I referenced does.

http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/fam...M11Family.html

I remember more. The Xscale integrated I/O has PIO only. That doesn't mean
it can't do DMA for memory mapped devices.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
newsFjIg.7600$Mz3.5250@fed1read07...

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

That is simply ridiculous... the ARM designs are licensed to various
integrators
and then built on whatever process they choose.
Some Qualcomm chips are being fab'd on 90 um and at least sampled on
65
(not sure about production status).
TSMC offers various ARM cores in their cell library and has sampled
65u parts..again I'm not sure if its in production yet.

The drystone specs on the web page provide a performance reference
on a process. Not a mandate for a process.

Intels problems with mobile apps has never been processor
capability, its power management and ARM is way ahead in
that arena. And you can't solve it providing a bigger or more capable
battery. It all turns to heat in the end and you can't have
a PDA that will fry the palm of your hand after a few minutes.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

newsssIg.7614$Mz3.7189@fed1read07...

"ScottW" wrote in message
newsFjIg.7600$Mz3.5250@fed1read07...

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
[...]

No contradiction. I simply pointed out the reason ARM was created. Cheap
core from a cheap fab. Now the current momentum is to squeeze everything
possible out of the design, by adding pipelines, caches, and shrinking the
die. But in the end, ARM will die, because when something arrives along the
lines of a Centrino that can draw 1/2 watt at full load, ARM has nowhere to
go.

Some Qualcomm chips are being fab'd on 90 um and at least sampled on 65
(not sure about production status).

The competitive gains of making an ARM core on a 90 um process are not
compelling. They are doing it because they can, and it's the easiest way to
wring the last bit of performance out of it.

TSMC offers various ARM cores in their cell library and has sampled
65u parts..again I'm not sure if its in production yet.

So what? ARM is a simple core. Shave a few milliwatts off, get a linear
performance boost. This does not give it a future. The original purpose of
ARM was a cheap core from an old fab.

The drystone specs on the web page provide a performance reference
on a process. Not a mandate for a process.

Intels problems with mobile apps has never been processor
capability, its power management and ARM is way ahead in
that arena. And you can't solve it providing a bigger or more capable
battery. It all turns to heat in the end and you can't have
a PDA that will fry the palm of your hand after a few minutes.

Even at 664 mHz, my Dell Axim 51V takes about 20X the time to load CNN as
the 1 gHz ulv Centrino in my subnotebook. ARM is a pure RISC core. It is far
less powerful per cycle than a modern pipelined CPU. What are you going to
do, run the thing at 20 gHz to make up the difference? Not possible. The ARM
core will go away. In 2010, Intel will have Windows Vista in your palm.
Would you rather have Windows CE on an ARM? Everything is change. You'll
go with the flow, Scott.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

soundhaspriority wrote:

Even at 664 mHz, my Dell Axim 51V takes about 20X the time to load CNN as
the 1 gHz ulv Centrino in my subnotebook.

and the Axim is Xscale based running Windows Mobile
with probably only 64 Mb ram versus your
notebook and still trying to support VGA.
No wonder it sucks.
You bought one of these?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
soundhaspriority soundhaspriority is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

Even at 664 mHz, my Dell Axim 51V takes about 20X the time to load CNN as
the 1 gHz ulv Centrino in my subnotebook.

and the Axim is Xscale based running Windows Mobile
with probably only 64 Mb ram versus your
notebook and still trying to support VGA.
No wonder it sucks.
You bought one of these?

ScottW

What is your point?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

Even at 664 mHz, my Dell Axim 51V takes about 20X the time to load CNN as
the 1 gHz ulv Centrino in my subnotebook.

and the Axim is Xscale based running Windows Mobile
with probably only 64 Mb ram versus your
notebook and still trying to support VGA.
No wonder it sucks.
You bought one of these?

ScottW

What is your point?

That your whole comment was irrelevant to the longevity of the ARM
both as a base band processor and an application processor.

Will there be Vistas in PDAs someday? Maybe. Will there be an Arm
processor providing baseband support as well? Probably.

Will buffoons still be trying to surf the web with PDAs'? Most
certainly.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
soundhaspriority soundhaspriority is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

Even at 664 mHz, my Dell Axim 51V takes about 20X the time to load CNN
as
the 1 gHz ulv Centrino in my subnotebook.

and the Axim is Xscale based running Windows Mobile
with probably only 64 Mb ram versus your
notebook and still trying to support VGA.
No wonder it sucks.
You bought one of these?

ScottW

What is your point?

That your whole comment was irrelevant to the longevity of the ARM
both as a base band processor and an application processor.

Will there be Vistas in PDAs someday? Maybe. Will there be an Arm
processor providing baseband support as well? Probably.

Will buffoons still be trying to surf the web with PDAs'? Most
certainly.

Gratuitous insult, Scott. You've been spending too much time in elevators.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

Even at 664 mHz, my Dell Axim 51V takes about 20X the time to load CNN
as
the 1 gHz ulv Centrino in my subnotebook.

and the Axim is Xscale based running Windows Mobile
with probably only 64 Mb ram versus your
notebook and still trying to support VGA.
No wonder it sucks.
You bought one of these?

ScottW

What is your point?

That your whole comment was irrelevant to the longevity of the ARM
both as a base band processor and an application processor.

Will there be Vistas in PDAs someday? Maybe. Will there be an Arm
processor providing baseband support as well? Probably.

Will buffoons still be trying to surf the web with PDAs'? Most
certainly.

Gratuitous insult, Scott. You've been spending too much time in elevators.

Childish hypocrisy noted.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
soundhaspriority soundhaspriority is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
ps.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

The ARM will be around, as is the 7400 quad-NAND gate. But it will occupy a
seriously diminished role in embedded architecture. Your failure to perceive
that is indicative of a dwarfish mind, even if you are of normal stature.

Top that, buddy! It's OT, while exemplifying sarcasm at it's finest

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ps.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

LOL. Are you really proud? Is this a highlight for you?
Yup, that's a hoot. you just claimed the nand gate is losing its role
in
embedded architecture..... that's good Bob.
I wonder what Intel has on the drawing board to replace it?

BTW, ARM is still developing and adding processors to a growing
library of designs. Does this really resemble a 6502 Bob?
http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM926EJ-S.html
I had a processor applications class in college using a single
board computer called the AIM 6502.
I don't recall having any DSP or floating processors to
utilize back then.
Don't you think referring to their growing portfolio of
processors as "The ARM" is a bit silly?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"ScottW" wrote in message

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ps.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

Scott, I'm going to push the sarcasm aside for a moment. In this business,
nothing lasts forever, where the modern meaning of "forever" is about five
years. On the other hand, it takes a long time for things to go away
entirely. But there is a point I want to make, which is not whether ARM will
be around in embedded systems, but about the future of handheld computing.
Intel sold this part of their business, XScale, because they believe that in
four years, they will have a general purpose, complex-instruction CPU that
runs on the power budget of ARM based WM. When that happens, Windows Mobile
as an entity running on ARM will become completely obsolete. And ARM will no
longer have that application.

Of course, there will always be applications for simple cores running in
embedded systems. So ARM will probably be around for a while. But we must
remember at the same time that ARM does not have specific features for DSP
or other high data rate apps. ARM works with other special purpose cores to
accomplish this. Because ARM is not itself a specialized core, future
obsolesence is a possibility.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ps.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

OK.

On the other hand, it takes a long time for things to go away
entirely. But there is a point I want to make, which is not whether
ARM will be around in embedded systems, but about the future of
handheld computing. Intel sold this part of their business, XScale,

Bob, Did you know the Xscale is an ARM derivative and Intel
has to pay royalties to ARM on it sales?

because they believe that in four years, they will have a general
purpose, complex-instruction CPU that runs on the power budget of
ARM based WM. When that happens, Windows Mobile as an entity running
on ARM will become completely obsolete. And ARM will no longer have
that application.

Windows Mobile has plenty of competition.

The biggest problem intel has is zero IP in todays communications
tech. They have to pay royalties to everyone to play in the space
at all. Qualcomm for CDMA and Nokia, Siemans & TI for GSM etc.
They couldn't compete with that burden so they only tried to play
in the secondary applications processor market. And they did it
with a design they still had to pay royalties on.
That means multiple chips and larger power hungry and costlier
designs. It didn't work and the integrated players were
winning the volume market sweet spots.
So Intel bailed....again.
Look at their TV chip venture...lasted 10 months before they
surrendered there as well.

This whole future venture depends on them pulling off WiMax.
Sprint signed on to take a flyer and try to leapfrog
Verizon which beat them badly with the first EVDO
deployments. They've been struggling to find
a way out of a trailing position so they jumped on
WiMax before its even a standard.

Of course, there will always be applications for simple cores
running in embedded systems. So ARM will probably be around for a
while. But we must remember at the same time that ARM does not have
specific features for DSP or other high data rate apps. ARM works
with other special purpose cores to accomplish this. Because ARM is
not itself a specialized core, future obsolesence is a possibility.

and feature addition is also a possibility. ARM cores are cheap, don't
take
a lot of space, play well together and share memory easily.
Dual ARM chips are here and they work at power and performance
points that meet the market needs.
Intel is a failure in this market...and to claim they will succeed in
5 years
from now in a Market they just exited and were claiming to target
5 years ago, seems a stretch right now.
Might happen and the market is very alluring with its volumes,
but they're track record isn't that great and they're
struggling to match AMD. Remember the Pentium M was really
a face saving lark for them. Time will tell.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"ScottW" wrote in message

"soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote in message
ps.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

soundhaspriority wrote:

[...]

Your position is reasonable. My compliments.