Arny Krueger

Default What Software for Editing Sound on PC

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Now, some years later it looks like SF has largely caught up with CEP
except when it comes to multitracking. I've been doing multitracking
before Vegas was even available. CEP/Audition does a good job with
multitracking while SF is still a big fat zero for multitracking,

You don't get it, do you.

Really?

Sound Forge will never do multitracking.

That's what I said, isn't it?

They don't want it to do multitrac=king.

Of course not. They can sell the faithful another product.

Some users don't want there
stereo audio editor to be a swiss army knife.

You mean Audition is inferior because it does too much, too well?

The way I see it, an investment of $1440 gets me two integrated
products and a disconnected product

Que ?

Check out the list you deleted.

Arny Krueger

"The Artist" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" emitted :

Put Audition and the several others at the bottom of the list to
get a true reflection of the pecking order in the market place for
multitrack production facilities.

Prove it.

I may put you straight when you talk ****, but I'm not about to
regurgitate years of experience to "prove" what I'm saying. Do your
own homework.

In short, you were just posturing and have no support for your claims.
That's how it always is with you, Dormer.

David White

"The Artist" wrote in message
"David White" emitted :
Maybe. The trouble I have with equalizers is that I find they are all hit
and miss. I've got no feel when I listen to something what equalization
settings will improve it. It's just trial and error.

It comes with practice. Here are some practical things you can do to
optimize your signal and "learn" your ears : Watch your signal in a
real time FFT application - identify where in the frequency spectrum
the noise is and what sort of range it covers, any accompanying
continuous interference signals. Translate these numbers to your EQ
and Q, using wideband centered on the noise; narrowband on the
signals. Play with the gain cut, switching between preview and
non-preview mode to get a feel of what's happening. If you've got
multiband parametric EQ you can do this per band, and combine your
results to build up a smoother shape which will integrate more
harmoniously than using multiple individual EQ's. HF shelving is worth
trying to cut noise - start at 20Khz and work backward, playing with
gain and contour shape. [The above is like building your own custom
noiseprint, but gives you greater control of the results.] Other
options include de-essing, gates, and if you're working from ie. tape
with numerous FR anomalies something like Freefilter may provide a
quick fix at getting things sounding more normal.

Okay, thanks.

David

Arny Krueger

"The Artist" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" emitted :

Some users don't want there
stereo audio editor to be a swiss army knife.

You mean Audition is inferior because it does too much, too well?

Jack of all trades... master of none.

Just more meaningless posturing.

Arny Krueger

"The Artist" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" emitted :

If Vegas is a suitable solution, why are you even
mentioning Audition in the same breath?

Because Audition is an even better solution for me. I already have
it and know how to use it effectively.

Far from a normal criteria for "better solution".

I didn't mention any specific criteria. But Dormer, I'll bet that the voices
in your head heard me stating one.

What you are
effectively saying is you are prepared to settle for second best
because it's cheap and doesn't require any mental effort on your part.

Not at all. You've provided no evidence proving that Audition is second
best.

An analogy might be getting from point A to point B - any working
vehicle will get you there, however some vehicles are more suitable or
will give a better ride than others.

You've provided no evidence proving that Audition is second best.

Regardless, you didn't even grasp the point - if Vegas is a viable
solution to a problem then Audition is not, and visa-versa.

That very bogus logic. If Vegas is a viable solution that proves zilch about
whether or not Audition is viable, and vice-versa. Both products can be
viable.

Their capabilities lie in such different areas and they are aimed at such
different markets, rarely the twain shall meet.

You've made my point. Vegas is primarily video editing software that oh, by
the way does multitrack audio. But, this is a discussion about audio
editors. Because SF lacks any abilities to do multitrack audio recording and
editing, Sony forces their clients to use an application that primarily
edits video, in order to work with multitrack audio.

Do your homework, winkie.

Been there, done that.

Arny Krueger

"The Artist" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

"The Artist" says to Arny:.

It's not like you make an income from
audio production, after all.

Ouch!!

Not at all.

Yustabe has you bang-to-rights.

Not at all.

You like to think you are involved in
the "audio business", but it's common knowledge that your income is
derived from the "PC business".

Ludicrous claims by Dormer that he can accurately read minds noted.

The funny thing about that is, if you
actually invested the same amount of time and energy into doing
something about it that you spend acting like a complete tool, you
would probably find there is a job of some sort out there.

Stop contradicting yourself Dormer. You already admitted that I have a PC
business.

It simply shows how desperate Dormer is to be overbearing,
officious and insulting.

No desperation at all. With a pompous prick like you, such things come
naturally.

And calling yourself "The Artist" isn't pompous, Dormer?

Dormer seems to be going over the top with his habit of being
presumptuous. He now fancies himself "The Artist". LOL!

What's more presumptuous, that I use that nym or that you question it?

That you picked the name and decided to wear it, Dormer.

If the posts on rec.audio.pro and the Adobe audition newsgroups are
any indication, there are a great many professionals who rely on
CE/Audition. One area where it seems to be heavily used is
broadcasting.

Yeah, I bet they really rave on about the 12-track recording
capability. LOL!

Just goes to show how miniscule your attention span is, Dormer. You were
claiming that Audition is not used by professionals, just amateurs. I point
out a group of professionals that make heavy use of the product, and you go
ballistic into about the fact that is also does multitracking.

Arny Krueger

"The Artist" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" emitted :

Some users don't want there
stereo audio editor to be a swiss army knife.

You mean Audition is inferior because it does too much, too well?

Jack of all trades... master of none.

Just more meaningless posturing.

You think a swiss army knife is better than specialized knives and
tools? D'oh!

Irrelevant. Anybody with a brain knows that "swiss army knife" was just a
metaphor.

Arny Krueger

"The Artist" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" emitted :

Put Audition and the several others at the bottom of the list to
get a true reflection of the pecking order in the market place for
multitrack production facilities.

Prove it.

I may put you straight when you talk ****, but I'm not about to
regurgitate years of experience to "prove" what I'm saying. Do your
own homework.

In short, you were just posturing and have no support for your
claims. That's how it always is with you, Dormer.

No, the way it is with me is that if you demand proof that 2=2 you
gotta do the math yourself.

More senseless posturing.

cwvalle

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" emitted :

BTW Powell, wanna tell me how to do 12 track multitrack recording and
production with SF?

Wanna tell us how to do it with MS Word ?

geoff

why on earth would you do that anyway
there are real alternatives to recording on a computer
that work a hell of a lot better

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

What you don't seem to understand Powell is that I'm not in the business

of
collecting audio editors in the same sense that I collect sound cards.

Don't tell me you are actually making a profit on them!

Arny Krueger

"The Artist" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" emitted :

If Vegas is a suitable solution, why are you even
mentioning Audition in the same breath?

Because Audition is an even better solution for me. I already have
it and know how to use it effectively.

Far from a normal criteria for "better solution".

I didn't mention any specific criteria.

Yes you did, or were the words "I already have it and know how to use
it effectively." tacked on arbitrarily?

blah blah blah snipped

Regardless, you didn't even grasp the point - if Vegas is a viable
solution to a problem then Audition is not, and visa-versa.

That very bogus logic. If Vegas is a viable solution that proves
zilch about whether or not Audition is viable, and vice-versa. Both
products can be viable.

Lack of comprehension about products in question noted..

Their capabilities lie in such different areas and they are aimed
at such different markets, rarely the twain shall meet.

You've made my point. Vegas is primarily video editing software that
oh, by the way does multitrack audio.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Vegas is the
integration of two high end products - "Vegas Audio" and "Vegas
Video".

I was simply trying to justify your claim that they are aimed at such
different markets, rarely the twain shall meet.

If we're really comparing Vegas Audio with Audition, then your claim that
they are aimed
at such different markets, rarely the twain shall meet can be simply
dismissed on the grounds that it is ludicrous.

Arny Krueger

"The Artist" wrote in message
[...]

Sound analyse software Bjarne J Aronsen Pro Audio 4 March 29th 04 09:41 AM
[OT] Sound measure software with equivalent sound level meter? jd Pro Audio 2 March 21st 04 07:34 PM
Sound vs. Audio Bob Smoot Pro Audio 3 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 General 122 January 27th 04 12:58 AM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM