Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Arny Krueger

Default What Software for Editing Sound on PC

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

If there could be a more superficial grounds to judge a product than
its UI, what might it be?

How superficial - worrying about something as trifling as the bit
that the user has to interact with....

As a general rule, no UI in a competitive commercial product is THAT bad.
For example in the old days there was a lot of ranting and raving about the
UIs in MS Word and WordPerfect. On balance, they were both effective and
eventually they evolved to being almost indistinguishable from each other,
except to advanced users.

At this point we know quite well what the basic canonical functions and
features of an audio editor are. AFAIK none of the competitive products fail
to provide them. They form the backbone of the process of getting the job
done. Once you learn one of them, your learning curve for the next one is
considerably foreshortened, unless you are really inflexible. Some people
are really inflexible and go through life defeating themselves this way.

Contemplating the project I did last week, I strongly suspect that if
CE/Audition ceased to exist I could complete it with several of the
competitive products in only a little more time the first time, and
probably in about the same amount of time after a few go-arounds. Even true
given the near-total lack of integration we now know exists in some
competitive suites such as SF+Vegas. I'd just figure out some
circumventions.

Sound analyse software Bjarne J Aronsen Pro Audio 4 March 29th 04 09:41 AM
[OT] Sound measure software with equivalent sound level meter? jd Pro Audio 2 March 21st 04 07:34 PM
Sound vs. Audio Bob Smoot Pro Audio 3 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 General 122 January 27th 04 12:58 AM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM