Timothy A. Seufert

Default tweaks and proof

In article 04PBc.92192$Sw.45974@attbi_s51,
Bromo wrote:

Don't forget Bumblebees can't fly by modern aerodynamic sciences.

Another popular myth. The incident behind the myth is thought to have
been a back-of-the-envelope (BOTE) calculation done at the dinner table
when a biologist and an aerodynamicist were discussing the bumblebee.
There was never a formal declaration that the bee could not fly because
everybody knows that BOTE calculations are, shall we say, less than
accurate. Sometimes they put you in the ballpark, sometimes they put
you on cloud 9.

Nobody has ever actually found even one formal scientific paper stating
that bees can't fly. Which is pretty much what the myth would require
to be true -- otherwise you can't say that "science" says the bumblebee
can't fly.

Also, the description "modern" hardly applies since the incident thought
to have kicked the myth off took place more than 50 years ago.

http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/98/bees

--
Tim
chung

Bromo wrote:
On 6/21/04 10:46 AM, in article axCBc.85804$HG.35376@attbi_s53, "Dick
Pierce" wrote:

The ridiculous example you give does not have a bearing on what
we were talking about.

Begging your pardon, but it is precisely this sort of ridiculous
claim that the entire topic bears upon. Consider the following
tweaks:

1. Application of gren pens to CDs

2. Water filled audio cables

3. The placement of small wooden pucks around the room to enhance
the sound

4. The strident claim by an editorial contributor to one of the
prominent high-end magazines of the dramatic effects of audible
"glare" from a water faucet in the other room.

5. Armor-all as an "optical impedance matching fluid" to enhance
the playback of CD's

6. CD demagnetizers

7. "micro-diodes" in cables

8. Blue "dithering LEDs" in expensive CD players

How many more of these "ridiculous examples" do you consider to
have "no bearing" on what we were talking about?

We weren't talking about any of them - so none of them - by increasing the
range all you have done is to *try* to drag me into that mire and paint me
with the incorrect brush.

You were the one who was painting with the incorrect brush. You were
basically saying that all claims deserve to be looked at. I gave
examples of some claims that are patently untrue that should not be
"noted and the root cause traced down". And then you said that those had
no bearing to what you were talking about. What exactly were you talking
about, and with whom?

I would agree with you that there are many frauds
out there - some even deliberate, I figure - but that is no reason to
ridicule and denounce rather than disprove.

I would only float that ridicule is not refutation - and it is not
substitution for good objective science.

That is interesting. When I brought up that warm milk claim, you
responded that it was ridiculous.

But it is also a mistake to
substitute ridicule for refutation.

When it comes to ridiculous claims, sometimes one can't help but laugh
at them. Some of those claims are not worthy of further refutation.

Get rid of ALL these "ridiculous examples" that "have no bearing,"

So ... What exactly are you getting at? That you can throw a lot of silly
things on top of what we were talking about , and refute *those* instead of
what we were discussing?

What exactly were you discussing?

and all of a sudden, the high-end biz is transformed from a back-water
freak-tweal cottage industry governed by mysticism, quackery and
a few vocal, wide-eyed magazine wonks into a reality-based pursuit.

Actually, amongst a lot of quackery are some genuine well constructed,
excellent sounding high end products.

No one is suggesting that we ridicule the genuinely well-constructed,
excellent sounding products.

Steven Sullivan

Chelvam wrote:
"Timothy A. Seufert" wrote in message
In article b3tBc.87266$0y.49768@attbi_s03,
"Chelvam" wrote:

"Bromo" wrote in message
On 6/20/04 10:37 AM, in article , "Steven
Sullivan" wrote:

snip..snip..

It was the observation and dogged pursuit of detail that
revealed the real truth. This is not the same in magnitude, but

similar
in
effect.

And the aviation engineer thought that Japanese zero planes were
aerodynamically impossible.

What aviation engineer? When?

Perhaps an aviation engineer might have said the early rumored Zero was
aerodynamically impossible. He would have been right.

Too bad google failed me on this one. But correct me if I am wrong. Two
Japanese Companies were involved in the development of the Zero. Matsu****a
did the job. the other company quit saying that it was impossible.

When the American had its close encounter with Zero in China it was
initially dismissed by the American that such thing was "aerodynamically
impossible".

I am not saying Zero defied physics but the initial assessment was sceptical
because the knowhow then wasn't good enough.

That's the same story about bumblebee. Yes we have the scientific
explanation but if you look at the link provided by Ketil
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/98/bees there was once a
Sainte-Lague, Magnan's lab assistant who was apparently some sort of
engineer said so and furthermore the usual aerodynamics in 1930 would - I
quote "makes back-of-envelope calculations
next to hopeless"

So, *one* engineer , over dinner, in response to an informal challenge by
a biologist, did some napkin calculations (which assumed a rigid wing) and
'proved' that bumblebees don't fly like aeroplanes do. The biologist
spread the tale to the press and ever since we've had ill-informed people
claiming that 'scientists proved that bumblebees can't fly'.

http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathland_3_31.html

*This* supposedly supports the case that engineers might be wrong about
cables and tweeks?

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --

Timothy A. Seufert

In article ,
"Chelvam" wrote:

That's the same story about bumblebee. Yes we have the scientific
explanation but if you look at the link provided by Ketil
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/98/bees there was once a
Sainte-Lague, Magnan's lab assistant who was apparently some sort of
engineer said so and furthermore the usual aerodynamics in 1930 would - I
quote "makes back-of-envelope calculations
next to hopeless"

You are misrepresenting what was said. The paragraph you quote from
made no claims about the state of aerodynamics in the 1930s. It
actually said that the complex nature of insect flight aerodynamics
makes BOTE calculations next to hopeless.

--
Tim

Timothy A. Seufert

In article , Bromo
wrote:

On 6/20/04 8:42 PM, in article , "Dick Pierce"
wrote:

Win what? There's no "prize" here. At least not one worth winning.
The problem has been solved, ages ago. That a bunch of yahoos in
the high-end biz can't get their acts together and fix what ain't
broken (often breaking it MUCH worse) is hardly any fight worth
fighting. It's like being paired in a spelling bee against a garden
slug: Yeah, I can win, but so what?

But do all CD players implement the known fixes against jitter to reduce it
below audibility (my guess is no since the CD's sound for consumer grade
stuff seems to be getting worse as the decks get cheaper)?

Your guess is wrong. It's actually hard to have bad jitter problems in
a system as simple as a CD player. Jitter in telecom is much more of a
problem.

Yes, I have experience in the telecom world. Telecom is orders of
magnitude more complex than CD digital audio. The basic problem is that
phone companies need to multiplex many digital signals -- each with its
own independent clock not guaranteed to be in sync with anything -- into
higher rate carrier signals. Oh, and the higher rate stream is on yet
another clock, not in sync with the lower rate streams.

At each layer of multiplexing, the process must not change any
information from the slower channels (dropping samples or adding silence
is explicitly not allowed). The techniques used to accomplish that feat
add lots of effective jitter to the original signals, but most of it
gets removed after demuxing.

In a CD player there is no multiplexing. Data is read from a source
(the disc) into a FIFO buffer. The output of the FIFO is clocked into a
DAC using a single clock source. Jitter, if audible, will come from
that clock; there isn't any stage which can actively add jitter like
you'll find in telecom. Crystal oscillators with jitter way too low to
be audible are dirt cheap, especially at the relevant frequencies (due
to volume sales).

Do all
amplifiers implement the known, mature fixes to respond properly to
transients? Probably not. And I don't think mistakes would be relegated to
the "high end."

They are much more likely at the "high end". Only in the "high end"
audio market is it possible to design and market a DAC with the
reconstruction filter LEFT OFF because the 'engineer' behind the product
believes said filters corrupt the sound. Anybody that incompetent would
never make it at a company where the design has to meet at least some
objective standards of performance.

--
Tim

TChelvam

Dick Pierce wrote in message ...
Chelvam said:

Please, if you would, cite the "aviation engineer" who made such
a definitive claim. Sir, "bricks" are "aerodynamically possible."

Is this the beginning of yet another urban legend?

Once it was thought, bumble bee couldn't fly. Urban legend, too?

Google search for the history of Zero plane and why one out of two
company backed out.

Bob Marcus

TChelvam wrote:

Once it was thought, bumble bee couldn't fly. Urban legend, too?

Certainly not urban truth. The was a time when we didn't know *how*
bumblebees flew. But we always knew that they *could* fly, because we could
see it with our own eyes.

That's where the comparison to high-end audio mythology breaks down. It's
not just that we aren't measuring the right things or we can't explain why
two electronic components sound different. In the case of audio, we don't
even know if they *do* sound different. And all attempts to come up with
empirical evidence that they do have come up empty.

It's like saying, "Just because science can't yet explain how pigs could
fly, that doesn't mean that pigs can't fly."

bob

a trip to NY
http://www.msnmessenger-download.cli...ave/direct/01/

Stewart Pinkerton

On 22 Jun 2004 23:11:47 GMT, "Chelvam" wrote:

Too bad google failed me on this one. But correct me if I am wrong. Two
Japanese Companies were involved in the development of the Zero. Matsu****a
did the job. the other company quit saying that it was impossible.

Perfectly reasonable (and indeed quite common) for an engineering
company to declare that a given specification is beyond its
capability. *Management* has been known to disguise this with a
statement that the spec is impossible................

When the American had its close encounter with Zero in China it was
initially dismissed by the American that such thing was "aerodynamically
impossible".

Unlikely to have been an American *engineer* who declared this.
Propaganda needs might well have required such an *official*
declaration however, in a misguided attempt to to maintain morale.
Hopefully, some intelligent aerial combat tacticians took the data as
observed, and worked out ways to compensate for basic inferiority, as
Britain did with Hurricanes battling ME109s.

I am not saying Zero defied physics but the initial assessment was sceptical
because the knowhow then wasn't good enough.

That is of course quite a different matter, as with the bumblebee
(which is another urban myth never actually tracked down).

Steven Sullivan

chung wrote:
Bromo wrote:

Actually, amongst a lot of quackery are some genuine well constructed,
excellent sounding high end products.

No one is suggesting that we ridicule the genuinely well-constructed,
excellent sounding products.

But if the explanations provided for their performance are
quack, those explanations deserve ridicule.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

Ban

S888Wheel wrote:

Oh I get it. If people didn't say that bumblebees can't fly and
didn't say that Japanese zeros weren't aerodynamically impossible all
would be well with the high end industry. What we really begin to see
is what is wrong with proof by analogy. Maybe you didn't really get
the fact that Bromo doesn't believe that bumblebees can't fly.

No, he brings this Urban Myth because he wants to discredit science, a
strange act of an allegedly "Electronic Engineer". And I want to see the
difference between painting your CDplayer or amplifier with Ennemosers C37
varnish, or bathing it in milk. This analogy is absulutely valid.
Of course it hurts if you have paid such a lot of money for some inefficient
tweak, you want at least persuade some other clueless fellows to do the
same, so you do not feel alone. But this doesn't proof anything exept
missing scientific thinking. And because science is opening your eyes or
brain-cells you discredit it as well. But the truth is powerful and
eventually will win.
In a professional recording studio you won't find useless and extremely
expensive accessories like esoteric interconnects, C37 and speaker cables,
because the owner will invest his money only in useful components. A 12gauge
Belden Speaker cable does the job beautifully why waste the bucks for some
thin pure silver cable that is actually worse? And if this is good enough
for the studio where the recording was made, why does the HiFi-freak need
those things to listen to CDs or LPs? It just shows his inability to
evaluate the components of his gear, embarrassing isn't it?
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Dick Pierce

(S888Wheel) wrote in message news:fq9Cc.98196$0y.4622@attbi_s03...
And the aviation engineer thought that Japanese zero planes were
aerodynamically impossible.

Don't forget Bumblebees can't fly by modern aerodynamic sciences.

And with these two "citations," we begin now to understand what
really is wrong with the high-end audio realm.

Oh I get it.

No, you don't get it.

If people didn't say that bumblebees can't fly and didn't say that
Japanese zeros weren't aerodynamically impossible all would be well with the
high end industry.

If that's what you "got," you most assuredly didn't "get it."

What we really begin to see is what is wrong with proof by
analogy.

Now, what we see is proof by WRONG anaology. What we see is
argument by strawman.

Maybe you didn't really get the fact that Bromo doesn't believe that
bumblebees can't fly.

No, what YOU don't get is that science provides an answer that Bromo
doesn't like. So, rather than ever entertain the possibility that
HE'S wrong, he'll dredge up some tired, worn, overused nonsense
urban legend as a means of impugning the science he doesn't like.
He doesn't bother to see whether the "bumblebee" legend has any basis
in fact, rather, it provides a convenient strawman to knock down.

"See," we hear again and again, "if aerodynamic engineers were wrong
about bumblebees and Japanese Zeros, then these here engineers HAVE
to be wrong about green pens and magic bricks, wooden pucks, wires,
and ..."

You want to talk about engineering failures? Look at the Caravelle
jet. It was an engineering debacle that cost peoples' lives, yet
it was DIAGNOSED and SOLVED by pure straightforward engineering
practices, not by a bunch of clueless yahoos writing technodrivvle
for a couple of magazines in a backwater, no-account industry
spouting mystical cures. Those engineers didn't fret over nonsense
urban legends about bumblebees, they actually did work and made
progress, something sorely lacking in this voodoo called "high-end
audio" with all its self-annointed but woefully under-educated priests.

When confronted with facts, on of their few remaining defenses is
"Well, science proved that bumblebees can't fly."

Only no such thing ever happened.

THAT'S what YOU didn't get.
Midlant

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Exactly. Which is why Bose, Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Harman,

Klipsch,
Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, Polk and the like sell more products and

generate
more revenue than high-end companies.

After years of playing this game and not being very happy or certain of
any calim I have learned to trust my own ears and perception. Frequently
I run across peopel who don't talk or think but, spit out the latest
internet hype as if it were fact. I played a game on a co-worker last
year. We both have Revel M20 speakers. He was running a integrated amp.
I told him I had just bought a McCormack DNA-125 to replace my Adcom
GFA-555 mkII as I thought the Adcom made music through the Revels sound
dry and boring, lab like. Very clear and concise but, no emotion to
them.
Time went by.
We engaged in conversation one afternoon as he wanted to upgrade from
integrated to separates but, he wasn't sure he would be able to tell the
difference as he loved his integrated. (Money was the real issue. If
what I have is perfect, then I don't need to spend money that I can use
elsewhere, therefore I'm happy)
I told him he could borrow my Adcom stuff as I had bought a new amp to
try out. He jumped on the chance and asked why I switched gear. (He had
forgotten our earlier conversation). I told him I thought the top end
was a little grainy on the top end. It wasn't as noticeable on the
Revels as it was on the Monitor Audio's I had. (terribly fatiguing
speakers btw).
2 weeks later he gave me the Adcom gear back saying that they made his
Revels sound Sterile, dry and boring. No emotion or musicalness to them.
It was almost verbatim what I had implanted in him 6 months earlier.

I would bet if I had the means to level match these two amps, no one
would be able to tell the difference between them except under or after
very long term listening. I do THINK the McCormack is a little fatter
sounding. I only notice it when I switch the amps out and after a few
weeks find myself yearning for the McCormack again.

This same thing happened between the Klipsch LaScala's I had and the
M20's. It took a lot of time to desire on one over the other. The
LaScala's were fuller and fatter sounding but the Revels were a tinge
smoother.
What would today's Klipsch Reference speakers be like? I bet they'd be
awesome and wish someone would lend me a set of 7's to try out. I
listened to them briefly before buying the M20's. They did everything
right but, I was determined to get a "special" speaker something that
was made as best as possible so I wouldn't want to upgrade anytime soon.
And Klipsch is run of the mill stuff, right? Phooey!

I had a set of Polk's that if they hadn't been stolen, they still be in
my system today, especially at the price new speakers sell for. I would
love to hear their new LSi series but it's not carried around here.

As to the Revels, I haven't found anything yet, to match them or make me
want to trade up other than another set of larger Revels like the F50.

A few months back, a neighbor contacted Transparent Audio and received a
$20k (USD) set of speaker cables and interconnects. Yes, twenty thousand
dollars! He runs Revels (studio or Salon) and Mark Levinson components.
I hooked the stuff up and switched so that he wasn't aware of what was
being used.

After a few hours, he was mildly upset as he couldn't hear any
difference between his $20k wires and much, much, cheaper Cardas
cabling. I bet him $20 that if I brought over my el cheapo wiring he
wouldn't be able to hear any difference either.

I haven't heard back from him.

John

Chelvam

"Timothy A. Seufert" wrote in message
In article 04PBc.92192$Sw.45974@attbi_s51,
Bromo wrote:

snip...snip...

Nobody has ever actually found even one formal scientific paper stating
that bees can't fly.

Ok that's fine. No scientific paper to say bumble bee can't fly. But is
there any scientific paper dismissing racing cone, green pen, Shakti
stones
and etc, etc.

p.s.

I cc the email to your because there several posting of mine gone
missing.
Hope you wouldn't mind.

Bob Marcus

Chelvam wrote:

Ok that's fine. No scientific paper to say bumble bee can't fly. But is
there any scientific paper dismissing racing cone, green pen, Shakti
stones
and etc, etc.

Probably not. Scientists are in the business of probing the unknown and
expanding knowledge. Debunking snake oil and quackery like this wouldn't do
that. If you understand how CDs work, you understand why green pens don't.
It's not worth thinking about for a second beyond this.

bob

Make the most of your family vacation with tips from the MSN Family Travel
Guide! http://dollar.msn.com
chung

From: Dick Pierce
Date: 6/21/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:
People wonder why engineers and scientists don't 'rise up' to
counter the ludicrous belief systems of audiophilia. I suspect
it's because they're laughing too hard.

A professional wouldn't ridicule - just note the observation and
trace it to root cause.

So if someone says 1+1=2.1, do you note the observation and trace it to
the root cause?

Ah, but what we were talking about is not that kind of issue.

Excuse me, but it most assuredly is.

No it's not. First math is a language and so one can make irrefutable
assertions. Second, none of the tweaks you name later in this post could be
debunked by a primary grade school student, 1+1=2.1 certainly can and no proof
is required.

Wrong. Just about all those can be debunked by DBT's. Primary grade
students can be great testers and testees of DBT's.

People in the high-end
business are making claims that precisely contradict principles
of engineering and physics that have achieved the status of
"theorem" (not theory) through rigorous proof.

Once again the grand invocation of the laws of physics. The notion that an amp
or even a cable may sound different from another amp or cable is hardly a claim
that violates the laws of physics let alone the rules of arithmetic.

Now you are assuming than when we say ridiculous claim ,we are talking
about cables or amps sounding different? That's clearly a strawman.

They make claims
about tweaks that contradict a century or more of vast and carefully
performed research, and make such claims without a single shred
of evidence to support that claim.

Really? There was research on the effects of green pen on CD playback as long
ago as a century? News to me. By the way there is some evidence to support the
claims. It is anecdotal and not worth much but it does exist.

You don't get it. The sentence "They make claims about tweaks that
contradict a century or more of vast and carefully performed research"
does not mean that the research was done as long ago as a century ago.
It means that results of carefully performed research in the last 100
years or more contradict the claims behind those tweaks.

As a side note, competent physicists could easily debunk those tweaks
based only on the laws of physics known a hundred years ago.

If I tell you that after washing my amp in warm milk, the sound
is so much more liquid, do you note the observation and trace
it to the root cause? Or have you lost your ability to laugh?

The ridiculous example you give does not have a bearing on what
we were talking about.

Begging your pardon, but it is precisely this sort of ridiculous
claim that the entire topic bears upon. Consider the following
tweaks:

1. Application of gren pens to CDs

2. Water filled audio cables

3. The placement of small wooden pucks around the room to enhance
the sound

4. The strident claim by an editorial contributor to one of the
prominent high-end magazines of the dramatic effects of audible
"glare" from a water faucet in the other room.

5. Armor-all as an "optical impedance matching fluid" to enhance
the playback of CD's

6. CD demagnetizers

7. "micro-diodes" in cables

8. Blue "dithering LEDs" in expensive CD players

Dubious claims yes.

You are being generous to call them dubious.

But why invoke the laws of physics or vaguely refer to
century old research (I am curious what research was done over a century ago
that would have any bearing on "demagnitizing" CDs, note that the Bedini
contraption is not claimed to demagnetize a CD, or micro-diodes in cables,
whatever that is)?

That's because you did not understand what was written.

For a group of people who seem to complain so much about
hyperbole this seems a bit much.

How many more of these "ridiculous examples" do you consider to
have "no bearing" on what we were talking about?

Get rid of ALL these "ridiculous examples" that "have no bearing,"
and all of a sudden, the high-end biz is transformed from a back-water
freak-tweal cottage industry governed by mysticism, quackery and
a few vocal, wide-eyed magazine wonks into a reality-based pursuit.

Really? Get rid of the fringe tweak products and everything else in the high
end is OK? wow

Whether everything is OK depends on whether you think high-end is OK if
it's reality based.

Wouldn't THAT be a tragedy, then?

I suppose not. Can't say I ever had any use for any of the tweaks you cited. I
haven't really tested my faucets for audible glare. I do know I hear them when
I turn the water on. I hope everyone else does too. Running water does make
noise. Glare? hmmm. would it upset anyone if I said they sounded wet?

S888Wheel

From: "Ban"
Date: 6/23/2004 4:12 PM Pacific Standard Time
S888Wheel wrote:

[...]

Maybe I didn't get it. Looked to me like Bromo brought up the bumblebee urban
legend to show another example of an urban legend.

S888Wheel

From: (Dick Pierce)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote in message
And the aviation engineer thought that Japanese zero planes were
aerodynamically impossible.

Don't forget Bumblebees can't fly by modern aerodynamic sciences.

And with these two "citations," we begin now to understand what
really is wrong with the high-end audio realm.

Oh I get it.

No, you don't get it.

Yes I did.

If people didn't say that bumblebees can't fly and didn't say that
Japanese zeros weren't aerodynamically impossible all would be well with

the
high end industry.

If that's what you "got," you most assuredly didn't "get it."

If this is your response then you didn't get it when you read my post.

What we really begin to see is what is wrong with proof by
analogy.

Now, what we see is proof by WRONG anaology. What we see is
argument by strawman.

I would agree that your proofs by bad analogy were pretty much straw man
arguments.

Maybe you didn't really get the fact that Bromo doesn't believe that
bumblebees can't fly.

No, what YOU don't get is that science provides an answer that Bromo
doesn't like.

Like I said, you didn't get the fact that Bromo doesn't believe that bumblebees
can't fly.

So, rather than ever entertain the possibility that
HE'S wrong, he'll dredge up some tired, worn, overused nonsense
urban legend as a means of impugning the science he doesn't like.

Um no, he simply brought up another urban legend. He didn't claim it was true.

He doesn't bother to see whether the "bumblebee" legend has any basis
in fact, rather, it provides a convenient strawman to knock down.

OK. One of us is quite off base here. Looked to me like he was bringing it up
as a joke.

"See," we hear again and again, "if aerodynamic engineers were wrong
about bumblebees and Japanese Zeros, then these here engineers HAVE
to be wrong about green pens and magic bricks, wooden pucks, wires,
and ..."

Um, who are you quoting? I sure hope you are not passing off misrepresentaions
of Bromo's beliefs with quotation marks. I think that is against the forum
rules. Who are you quoting here?

You want to talk about engineering failures?

Not really.

Look at the Caravelle
jet. It was an engineering debacle that cost peoples' lives, yet
it was DIAGNOSED and SOLVED by pure straightforward engineering
practices, not by a bunch of clueless yahoos writing technodrivvle
for a couple of magazines in a backwater, no-account industry
spouting mystical cures.

I don't think the writers for any objectivist audio magazines helped solve the
engineering problems in this case either. Talk about straw man arguments.

Those engineers didn't fret over nonsense
urban legends about bumblebees,

If I read Bromo right niether did he.

they actually did work and made
progress, something sorely lacking in this voodoo called "high-end
audio" with all its self-annointed but woefully under-educated priests.

And yet this industry you so love to disparage has managed to wrought excellent
sounding playback systems. I have never seen anywhere near the same degree of
success from any of the better known snake oil salesmen in other fields of
endevour. I think you drastically overstate your objections and paint with far
too broad a brush. Just my opinion.

When confronted with facts, on of their few remaining defenses is
"Well, science proved that bumblebees can't fly."

Indeed, if you believe that is comming from Bromo or from the designers of high
end audio equipment you didn't "get it" at all.

Only no such thing ever happened.

Please feel free to quote any high end designer that has cited the bumblebee
urban legend as a defense for their products.

THAT'S what YOU didn't get.

Oh, I got it. Your proof by bad analogy failed.

Audio Guy

In article ,
Bromo writes:

But do all CD players implement the known fixes against jitter to reduce it
below audibility (my guess is no since the CD's sound for consumer grade
stuff seems to be getting worse as the decks get cheaper)?

You must have missed the discussion on several multi-players
mentioned here a few months ago. These units played DVD-V, DVD-A, and
CD, and their playback quality was raved about by both objectivists
and subjectivists. They were all in the $150 range.

normanstrong

"chung" wrote in message
Oh yeah? So, do you believe cables need broken in, or there is
directivity in cables? Why do you think my example is any more
ridiculous than, say, cable-lifters?

Speaking of cable break-in, somewhere I saw instructions from a cable
company that not only claimed their cables needed break in, but also
required more or less continuous use, otherwise they would revert to
their original condition! IIRC, 3 weeks of vacation necessitated
re-breakin.

Surely there must be some point where we can stop serious evaluation
of these claims, just throw our heads back and laugh out loud. :-)

Norm Strong

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/23/2004 7:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Dick Pierce

Date: 6/21/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:
[...]

Balony. Legityimate audio DBTs are way beyond the vast majority of grade school
kids. You might find the occassional exception. Arithmatic is a basic grade
school skill. Big diffference.

People in the high-end
business are making claims that precisely contradict principles
of engineering and physics that have achieved the status of
"theorem" (not theory) through rigorous proof.

Once again the grand invocation of the laws of physics. The notion that an

amp
or even a cable may sound different from another amp or cable is hardly a

claim
that violates the laws of physics let alone the rules of arithmetic.

Now you are assuming than when we say ridiculous claim ,we are talking
about cables or amps sounding different? That's clearly a strawman.

Many on RAHE such as Tom Nousaine and Stewart Pinkerton have called cable sound
a ridiculous claim. No assumption is being made on my part here. Tom has
ridiculed amp sound many many times on RAHE.

They make claims
about tweaks that contradict a century or more of vast and carefully
performed research, and make such claims without a single shred
of evidence to support that claim.

Really? There was research on the effects of green pen on CD playback as

long
ago as a century? News to me. By the way there is some evidence to support

the
claims. It is anecdotal and not worth much but it does exist.

You don't get it. The sentence "They make claims about tweaks that
contradict a century or more of vast and carefully performed research"
does not mean that the research was done as long ago as a century ago.

It means some of it was.

It means that results of carefully performed research in the last 100
years or more contradict the claims behind those tweaks.

Yeah so some of it must be from a century ago. I'm not sure what that would be.

As a side note, competent physicists could easily debunk those tweaks
based only on the laws of physics known a hundred years ago.

Care to show us?

[...]

No, I am simply not engaging in the same sort of hyperbole that I find ironic.

But why invoke the laws of physics or vaguely refer to
century old research (I am curious what research was done over a century

ago
that would have any bearing on "demagnitizing" CDs, note that the Bedini
contraption is not claimed to demagnetize a CD, or micro-diodes in cables,
whatever that is)?

That's because you did not understand what was written.

Sure I did. The claim includes research that is over a century old. Please feel
free to cite the research. Sorry but it is hyperbole. ironic IMO
given the distain for subjectivst hyperbole shown so often here on RAHE.

For a group of people who seem to complain so much about
hyperbole this seems a bit much.

How many more of these "ridiculous examples" do you consider to
have "no bearing" on what we were talking about?

Get rid of ALL these "ridiculous examples" that "have no bearing,"
and all of a sudden, the high-end biz is transformed from a back-water
freak-tweal cottage industry governed by mysticism, quackery and
a few vocal, wide-eyed magazine wonks into a reality-based pursuit.

Really? Get rid of the fringe tweak products and everything else in the

high
end is OK? wow

Whether everything is OK depends on whether you think high-end is OK if
it's reality based.

I think it is just fine for my needs. I am getting realism in my playback that
I never thought possible before discovering high end audio.

Wouldn't THAT be a tragedy, then?

I suppose not. Can't say I ever had any use for any of the tweaks you

cited. I
haven't really tested my faucets for audible glare. I do know I hear them

when
I turn the water on. I hope everyone else does too. Running water does make
noise. Glare? hmmm. would it upset anyone if I said they sounded wet?

chung

From: (Dick Pierce)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote in message
And the aviation engineer thought that Japanese zero planes were
aerodynamically impossible.

Don't forget Bumblebees can't fly by modern aerodynamic sciences.

And with these two "citations," we begin now to understand what
really is wrong with the high-end audio realm.

Oh I get it.

No, you don't get it.

Yes I did.

I don't think so.

[...]

Whether Mr. Bromo believes that bumblebees can or cannot fly is not the
issue. The fact is that Mr. Bromo is using that urban legend to show how
engineers can be clueless, or how scientists can be wrong. He is making
the point that engineering can lead to absurd conclusions. I think
everyone else reads that correctly.

So, rather than ever entertain the possibility that
HE'S wrong, he'll dredge up some tired, worn, overused nonsense
urban legend as a means of impugning the science he doesn't like.

Um no, he simply brought up another urban legend. He didn't claim it was true.

He doesn't bother to see whether the "bumblebee" legend has any basis
in fact, rather, it provides a convenient strawman to knock down.

OK. One of us is quite off base here. Looked to me like he was bringing it up
as a joke.

As a joke intended to ridicule engineering and science.

....snipped...

When confronted with facts, on of their few remaining defenses is
"Well, science proved that bumblebees can't fly."

Indeed, if you believe that is comming from Bromo or from the designers of high
end audio equipment you didn't "get it" at all.

It's a common position among high-end audiophiles and marketeers that
current engineering knowledge cannot explain claimed sonic differences,
just like certain engineers could not understand how bumblebees can fly.
Hence when no technical explanation is forthcoming, it's simply because
engineering has been found to be deficient.

To call the people who came up with some of the tweaks Dick mentioned
"designers" is an insult to the real designers.

chung

From: chung
Date: 6/23/2004 7:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Dick Pierce

Date: 6/21/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:
[...]

I would agree that "Legityimate" audio DBT's are beyond anyone's skills .

I find it surprising that you don't believe it only requires listening
skills to take part in a DBT. You think your hearing is better than a
primary school student's? These kids are excellent testees.

What is difficult about DBT's that a primary school student cannot learn
to do that well?

People in the high-end
business are making claims that precisely contradict principles
of engineering and physics that have achieved the status of
"theorem" (not theory) through rigorous proof.

Once again the grand invocation of the laws of physics. The notion that an

amp
or even a cable may sound different from another amp or cable is hardly a

claim
that violates the laws of physics let alone the rules of arithmetic.

Now you are assuming than when we say ridiculous claim ,we are talking
about cables or amps sounding different? That's clearly a strawman.

Many on RAHE such as Tom Nousaine and Stewart Pinkerton have called cable sound
a ridiculous claim. No assumption is being made on my part here. Tom has
ridiculed amp sound many many times on RAHE.

You were responding specifically to Dick's claims that he listed. By the
way, Tom and Stewart always put in the "competent" qualification. Add
that in that sentence, and it is not ridiculous at all.

They make claims
about tweaks that contradict a century or more of vast and carefully
performed research, and make such claims without a single shred
of evidence to support that claim.

Really? There was research on the effects of green pen on CD playback as

long
ago as a century? News to me. By the way there is some evidence to support

the
claims. It is anecdotal and not worth much but it does exist.

You don't get it. The sentence "They make claims about tweaks that
contradict a century or more of vast and carefully performed research"
does not mean that the research was done as long ago as a century ago.

It means some of it was.

And Dick never said the green pen CD was researched over a decade ago.
That was what you ridiculed. You have got to read better.

It means that results of carefully performed research in the last 100
years or more contradict the claims behind those tweaks.

Yeah so some of it must be from a century ago. I'm not sure what that would be.

As a side note, competent physicists could easily debunk those tweaks
based only on the laws of physics known a hundred years ago.

Care to show us?

Why should I take the time to debunk baseless claims? (If you missed it,
that was my whole point in objecting to Bromo's post.) Go ask some of
your friends familiar with physics to do you the favoe.

[...]

Dubious implies doubt and uncertainty. So it looks like you are
uncertain about whether these things work or not. OK.

But why invoke the laws of physics or vaguely refer to
century old research (I am curious what research was done over a century

ago
that would have any bearing on "demagnitizing" CDs, note that the Bedini
contraption is not claimed to demagnetize a CD, or micro-diodes in cables,
whatever that is)?

That's because you did not understand what was written.

Sure I did. The claim includes research that is over a century old.

Research done in the last 100 years. Like understanding how sound waves
travel. How E-M waves work. Like Maxwell's Equations. Like diffraction.
Like using cables to carry signals at power levels a billionth of those
in speaker cables. Or a billionth of the current and/or voltages found
in audio applications. Or millions times higher in frequencies.

Dick never said green pen CD research was done over a 100 years ago, a
point you seem to find amusing and significant.

Although the properties of light wave in this context were understood a
century ago, so indeed the research necessary to refute the green pen
claim was done a century ago.

Please feel
free to cite the research.

Sometimes you just have to some some work yourself. It would be too much
work to explain it so that anyone can understand.

[...]

Then why ask the question? If everything in high-end audio is OK now,
you probably don't want things to change.

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/24/2004 9:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

From:
(Dick Pierce)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
(S888Wheel) wrote in message
And the aviation engineer thought that Japanese zero planes were
aerodynamically impossible.

Don't forget Bumblebees can't fly by modern aerodynamic sciences.

And with these two "citations," we begin now to understand what
really is wrong with the high-end audio realm.

Oh I get it.

No, you don't get it.

Yes I did.

I don't think so.

I think you are mistaken

[...]

it sertainly is part of the issue.

The fact is that Mr. Bromo is using that urban legend to show how
engineers can be clueless, or how scientists can be wrong.

That is the issue. He never did that. He cited it as another urban legend. He
never claimed it proved anything. Looked like he was just bringing up some
trivia to me.

He is making
the point that engineering can lead to absurd conclusions. I think
everyone else reads that correctly.

I guess we will have to let Bromo tell us why he mentioned it,

So, rather than ever entertain the possibility that
HE'S wrong, he'll dredge up some tired, worn, overused nonsense
urban legend as a means of impugning the science he doesn't like.

Um no, he simply brought up another urban legend. He didn't claim it was

true.

He doesn't bother to see whether the "bumblebee" legend has any basis
in fact, rather, it provides a convenient strawman to knock down.

OK. One of us is quite off base here. Looked to me like he was bringing it

up
as a joke.

As a joke intended to ridicule engineering and science.

Reaaaally? he told you this was his intention in a private message? He never
said so on the thread. Not that I saw. Maybe we should leave it to Briomo to
tell us if he brought this urban legend up to ridcule engineering and science.
Gosh, weren't you the one asking where someone else's sense of humor was?

...snipped...

When confronted with facts, on of their few remaining defenses is
"Well, science proved that bumblebees can't fly."

Indeed, if you believe that is comming from Bromo or from the designers of

high
end audio equipment you didn't "get it" at all.

It's a common position among high-end audiophiles and marketeers that
current engineering knowledge cannot explain claimed sonic differences,

Really? It is common? Of the many marketeers in highend audio, how many and
which ones explicitly claim that current engineering *cannot* "explain"
(meaning measure?) claimed sonic differences? And what does this have to do
with Bromo mentioning the bumblebee urban legend?

just like certain engineers could not understand how bumblebees can fly.

This is something you are now bringing to the discussion. Bromo, as far as I
can see, simply cited anotyher urban legend when another urban legend was being
discussed. Did he claim that "certain engineers could not understand how
bumblebees can fly?"

Hence when no technical explanation is forthcoming, it's simply because
engineering has been found to be deficient.

I think you are reading a lot into what was nothing more than a refernce to an
urban legend.

To call the people who came up with some of the tweaks Dick mentioned
"designers" is an insult to the real designers.

People of all ilks have to endure such insults. In any endevour there are
geniuses and fools and everything inbetween. for the sake of clarity I feel it
is best to call them designers.

chung

normanstrong wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
Oh yeah? So, do you believe cables need broken in, or there is
directivity in cables? Why do you think my example is any more
ridiculous than, say, cable-lifters?

Speaking of cable break-in, somewhere I saw instructions from a cable
company that not only claimed their cables needed break in, but also
required more or less continuous use, otherwise they would revert to
their original condition! IIRC, 3 weeks of vacation necessitated
re-breakin.

Surely there must be some point where we can stop serious evaluation
of these claims, just throw our heads back and laugh out loud. :-)

Norm Strong

Any unusual claim that is not backed by test results (measurements or
controlled listening tests) does not deserve serious evaluation, IMO.

What is sad is that among high-enders, the claim that cable needs to be
broken in seems to be the popular belief rather than a myth.
Dick Pierce

Chelvam intoned:
Nobody has ever actually found even one formal scientific paper
stating that bees can't fly.

Ok that's fine. No scientific paper to say bumble bee can't fly.
But is there any scientific paper dismissing racing cone, green
pen, Shakti stones and etc, etc.

Is there any scientific paper dismissing green cheese on the moon?
No? The the moon MUST be made of green cheese, by implication.

You either don't seem to be able or don't want to get with the
notion that it's not up to the rest of the world to prove an
extraordinary claim is WRONG, it's up to the person making that
claim to prove the claim is right, and that means it's up to
the green pen, magic CD, miraculous cable, wooden puck, blue
dithering CD player, blue-tak claimants to provide the evidence.

Besides, you do remember the fact that the green pen craze STARTED
as an April Fool's joke, yes?

| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| (1) 781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |

TonyP

Nousaine wrote:

Bromo wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:
It's all hand waving with out any specifics. That would be the case here on
both sides.
Let me ask again. If I'm not mistaken you have said that anything that can be
heard can be measured or perhaps that was more like 'if you can't measure a
difference than there would be nothing to hear' or something similar. I then
asked exactly what measureable differences would explain amp/cable sound
and I don't recall a response.
Again what should we be measuring to confirm 'amp/wire' sound that we haven't
already done?

It might be that no one knows. If you notice something - even if 10 people
were to denounce you - it does not mean you know the mechanism, nor are you
the expert on what measurements to make.

So how do they "design" products then .... by making random choices? Are some
people just lucky? If you would say they "listen" to them for validation then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

I often thought that they came up with the hyberbole first, and the
product to fit it second. I remember "Enid Lummey" of TAS fame way back
when. "She" said that having a telephone in the same room with your
system was bad. Something about the diaphram resonating in the phone
causing some sort of acoustic problem. Gee, I thought, and what about
the rest of the stuff in the room resonating? Light bulbs tend to have a
'bright' sound when they are on. A 'darker' sound when off.
There seems to a be a lot of pseudo science in high end audio.
I remember trying the VPI "magic" bricks about 20 years ago. They were
'suppose' to 'absorb' stray magnetic fields from power supplies along
with 'dampening' a components chassis. The 'absorb' thing went right by
me. The dampening, well, if that were a problem, a real brick is a lot
cheaper. Neither of those 'problems' seemed to effect my system. And
this 'magic brick' was from a company that makes an outstanding
turntable (I own a VPI HW19). Those magic bricks sure looked nice and
were heavy. But work? I can't see how.
Wessel Dirksen

From: chung
Date: 6/23/2004 7:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Dick Pierce

Date: 6/21/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time

Bromo wrote:
[...]

Baloney? Really? "If you hear . . . push the button A or B"
Grade school kids have learned less, (especially about scepticism) and have
excellent hearing.
A simpler intelligence and less accumulation of comparitive knowlegde in
order to form a bias are a good thing for a simple blind test. The
confounding interpretation of our smart but very emotional brains are what
is at issue here.

Steven Sullivan

TonyP wrote:
Nousaine wrote:

Bromo wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:
[...]

IIRC , she also wrote that you should remove *all* metal from
the listening room.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 6/24/2004 12:08 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

...snips....

From: Dick Pierce

Wrong. Just about all those can be debunked by DBT's. Primary grade
students can be great testers and testees of DBT's.

Balony. Legityimate audio DBTs are way beyond the vast majority of grade
school
kids. You might find the occassional exception. Arithmatic is a basic grade
school skill. Big diffference.

I noticed the poster said 'testees' which I took to mean as subjects.

But you didn't notice he also said testers? Now who is doing the debunking? The
testees or the testors? Remember the context of the claim that grade school
kids could debunk green pen just as well as they can do basic math.

Now you are assuming than when we say ridiculous claim ,we are talking
about cables or amps sounding different? That's clearly a strawman.

Many on RAHE such as Tom Nousaine and Stewart Pinkerton have called cable
sound
a ridiculous claim. No assumption is being made on my part here. Tom has
ridiculed amp sound many many times on RAHE.

I beg your pardon. I've said time and again that no subjectvist (or
objectivist,for that matter) has ever demonstrated an ability to actually
"hear" the sound of a nominally competent amplifier (or wire) when bias
controls have been employed.

Are you saying you have never ridiculed the notion of amp sound?

If pointing out that no one has ever brought in a Bigfoot dead or alive is or
introduced a legitimate alien who is visiting is "ridicule" I guess I could
be
found guilty on a technicality. But it's not an actionable offense IMO.

I didn't pass any judgement on it in my post. I only cited it. Thanks for
confirming my claim.