Siddhartha Jain

Default Cheap MP3 player with detachable USB drive

Hey,

I was looking to build a small portable Mp3 player (5GB). But the
SBCs are too expensive (~US$200) to make a small one cheaper than
commercially available ones (Look at Neuros). The old PC boards are
cheap but big. Good for a non-portable player.

So I looked at buying a cheap MP3 player with a detachable pen drive.
And then detach the pen drive and plugin a small USB HDD. Would work
out to be sub $200 for about 6-10GB. But two problems:
1. The players with detachable pen drives had some controls on the pen
drive so can't do away with them.
2. No display on the players so would be very difficult wading thru
GBs of MP3s.

Any other ideas?

TIA,

Siddhartha