Paul Bush

Default Amplifier recommendations / MtX vs. JL Audio vs. other?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me decide between two
amplifiers. I'm installing two of them into a Mercury Grand Marquis
to power two pairs of MB Quart speakers purchased a few years ago (QM
218.61 - six inch diameter) and one single-speaker, 12-inch subwoofer.
The cd player, if somehow it makes any difference, is a mid-price
Kenwood.

Anyhow, I'm probably going to go with an Alpine "V-Power" mono-channel
amp for the subwoofer (350 watts). Looking around, I saw two good
choices in my price range to power the other speakers:

the MTX "Thunder404" (class A)- 50 watts RMS x 4 @ four ohms @ 14.4
volts

or

the JL Audio "e4300" (class AB) - 45 watts RMS x 4 @ four ohms @ 12.5
volts

(the JL amp might have been model e2150 - whichever one costs about
$300 - but the specs are correct)

Can anyone tell me if there's a significant difference between these
two? Does anyone have a better suggestion? (Please bear in mind I
can't spend more than about $400.) I'm looking for powerful but clear
sound -- definitely not distorted or to annoy my neighbors.

Also, any recommendations as to where I can get a good deal on this
equipment online would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Paul
Douglas Conder

If you have $400 to spend, I would go to ebay and look for a JL 300/4. One
of the best 4 channels amps and you can get them brand new for less than
$400. Also Phoenix Gold Ti series.

Douglas

"Paul Bush" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Erik Alvar

JL 300/4, hands down the WORST amp I've ever owned.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...40giganews.com

When mine (I went through two with the same problem) were working, they
were fine. The problem was that they didn't work very long. Eventually
replaced with Phoenix Gold and Directed amps, which have never failed me.

"Douglas Conder" wrote in message
If you have $400 to spend, I would go to ebay and look for a JL 300/4.

One
of the best 4 channels amps and you can get them brand new for less than
$400. Also Phoenix Gold Ti series.

Douglas

"Paul Bush" wrote in message
om...
[...]

jpswanberg

i've used a jl 300/4 and an mtx thunder 4300. both were great. each amp
is a class ab amp (class a for the first watt or two, then class b).
sound will be very similar (very good) when played within their
parameters (aka without distortion). the crossover on the jl is better
(12 or 24 db per octave and a wider range of frequencies). the mtx
will be fine. there will not be a great difference in volume played in
either stereo or bridged mono. can't go wrong with either...jps

--
jpswanberg