Philippe bdc

Default laptop recording 5.1

Hello everybody
I am fairly new on this forum and my english is far from perfect so
forgive me for the stupid questions i may ask for.
I am not new in the job but not very much used to DAWs
I am involved in a big shooting and postproduction project for
documentaries in 5.1 sound (TV and DVD) and we plan to do most of the
job by ourselves.
I am responsible for studying and deciding the technical choices
1/
concerning shooting i planned to use a soundcard like RME Multiface
(considering the outrageous cost of digital field recorders like Deva
and Cantar) and a Mac laptop with the Nuendo software (or any other
file compatible soft)
I had the idea to transmit the Time code from the camera (Panasonic HD
at 25fps) through a dedicated Horita wireless transmitter, then
reshape it with a jam/sync box, convert it into Miditimecode and input
it in the card through the Midi in and maybe also record it as an
audio track (like we did in the ancient times) as a security backup.
Two separate mixdowns issuing from the soft would be recorded; a mono
one on the track 1 of the camera (mostly dialogues used as guide sound
for the editing of video) using a wireless microphone system and the
other with two tracks as safety back-up on a DAP1 dat.

2/
during postproduction the recorded tracks burnt on a dvd-rom each
night at the end of the shooting day are used to conform to the
soundtrack coming from editing in the OMF form along with a continuous
TC, a quicktime video of the editing and an edit decision list (EDL)
All this will be made with Nuendo on a G5 Mac
Does anybody know if there is a tip (or a soft dedicated)for quickly
sync sound to a TC in Nuendo?
Then the mix is made on 4 or 6 tracks in Nuendo (surround or 5.1)
Is there a Dolby Surround and Dolby PrologicII encoding plug-in Nuendo
?
I must admit i am a little bit lost regarding these compatibility
issues between apps, plugs ....

I must say that i don't have any machine or soft at the moment,
everything is prospective at that point.

You seem all very used to these techniques and i would greatly
appreciate any comment or criticism concerning my technical choices
(which can change according to your advices)
Thank you to anybody who can help me

Philippe, Paris
Richard Crowley

"Philippe bdc" wrote ...
I am fairly new on this forum and my english is far from
perfect so forgive me for the stupid questions i may ask for.
I am not new in the job but not very much used to DAWs
I am involved in a big shooting and postproduction project
for documentaries in 5.1 sound (TV and DVD) and we plan
to do most of the job by ourselves. I am responsible for
studying and deciding the technical choices....

Note that there is a newsgroup specifically for production sound:
news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound Many working professionals
there and r.a.m.p.s remains much more on-topic than r.a.p or r.a.t
Highly recommended.

You might want to detail WHAT you are shooting/recording.
Recording monkeys in Tanzania is very different than recording
a reality show on the left bank with a dozen subjects with wireless
mics. (Or maybe not? :-)

Most production (sync) sound is recorded in mono (1 channel)
and multi-channel is created in post-production. Just in the last
few days they were discussing capturing some ambient sound
in 2-channel stereo.

Your English is very good and far better than any other
languages that most of us speak. Welcome.