MZ

Default spdif static?

So how do I get a 44.1kHz USB sound device? Do you know of any?

Good question. The first couple of things I tested were 48 KHz. I think
that USB is the evil word. Some of M-Audio's USB product might be 44.1

KHz,
but its not exactly cheap.

USB is my only option because the one PCI slot that I have is currently in
use by a USB card (I'm forced to use the USB card in addition to the
on-board USB ports because the computer will not wake with those ports when
I turn on the touchscreen, regardless of what the BIOS settings say - but it
will wake with the PCI card).

The alternative that Zapco offered was for me to send them the unit and
they'd replace the crystal with one for 48kHz. That is, assuming this is
indeed the problem and it's not on the computer side.

I guess I'll make that determination this weekend by performing two tests:

1) Using the RMAA software on the analog output of the sound car to see if
it looks as ridiculous as it sounds (the analog output of the sound card
also sounds bad going directly into the amplifiers). If the frequency
response attributes look similar between the analog output of the sound card
and the analog output of the DAC (being driven by the digital output of the
sound card), then it may provide a clue that the computer side of things is
at fault.
2) Using the audigy USB piece to see if there's any difference.

Thanks for all your help. Any other suggestions?

MZ

2) Using the audigy USB piece to see if there's any difference.

I should also add that I'll try the audigy on both the "car computer" and my
laptop.

MZ

2) Using the audigy USB piece to see if there's any difference.

I should also add that I'll try the audigy on both the "car computer" and my
laptop.

MZ

2) Using the audigy USB piece to see if there's any difference.

I should also add that I'll try the audigy on both the "car computer" and my
laptop.

MZ

2) Using the audigy USB piece to see if there's any difference.

I should also add that I'll try the audigy on both the "car computer" and my
laptop.

MZ

Today I disabled the on-board sound and used a USB Sound Blaster "MP3 Sound
System" with the optical output. Problem solved.

Would I be better off with another device? Is this device transparent
enough?

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
MZ wrote:
Is the audigy piece I mentioned 44.1kHz capable?

Nope.

The same kind of protocol differences exist with the optical
connection as well?

Yes. There may be more optical formats than coax.

I thought there was just one standard for toslink?

Nope.

So how do I get a 44.1kHz USB sound device? Do you know of any?

Good question. The first couple of things I tested were 48 KHz. I think
that USB is the evil word. Some of M-Audio's USB product might be 44.1

KHz,
but its not exactly cheap.

MZ

Hmmm. Another Mark Z. Uh-Oh.

Mark Z.

Yikes. Even worse is that my middle name begins with a D also...

MZ

Hmmm. Another Mark Z. Uh-Oh.

Mark Z.

Yikes. Even worse is that my middle name begins with a D also...

MZ

Hmmm. Another Mark Z. Uh-Oh.

Mark Z.

Yikes. Even worse is that my middle name begins with a D also...

MZ

Sirius Static! Cindy Tech 18 December 30th 03 01:40 AM
Digital cretin needs help combining spdif outputs Sugarite Pro Audio 6 December 19th 03 01:39 AM
Adat lightpipe to SPDIF splitter..... does such a thing exist? Joshua David Pro Audio 3 August 28th 03 03:22 PM