Adam Drake

Default NEWBIE: Headphone impedance question

Hi,

When buying headphones, what impedance should they be? Can I use studio
headphones at 600R or do I need something lower? I'd be using them with
my hifi but also my Sony Minidisc.

Finally, any recommendations for good headphones?

Thanks,

Adam.
anybody-but-bush

The lower the impedance the louder they will play (all things being equal). No you
do not need 600 ohm phones. I like phones less than 100 ohms.

Sennheiser HD 600 sound great not very loud
Sony MDR 7506 probably the best all around phones out there. Work fine with 3Volt
amps. fold up, block external noise.

Phil Abbate
www.philsaudio.com

"Adam Drake" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: When buying headphones, what impedance should they be? Can I use studio
: headphones at 600R or do I need something lower? I'd be using them with
: my hifi but also my Sony Minidisc.
:
: Finally, any recommendations for good headphones?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Adam.

Arny Krueger

Adam Drake wrote:
Hi,

When buying headphones, what impedance should they be?

Whatever the impedance is of the phones whose sound quality you prefer.

Can I use studio headphones at 600R or do I need something lower?

Yes, but something lower (down to 16 ohms!) can work, too.

I'd be using them with my hifi but also my Sony Minidisc.

OK

Finally, any recommendations for good headphones?

Sennheiser HD 580

TonyP

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Adam Drake wrote:
I'd be using them with my hifi but also my Sony Minidisc.
Finally, any recommendations for good headphones?

Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk without an
amplifier.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

Adam Drake wrote:
I'd be using them with my hifi but also my Sony Minidisc.
Finally, any recommendations for good headphones?

Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk
without an amplifier.

MD players have lower output than hard drive players and MP3 players?

normanstrong

Adam Drake wrote:
I'd be using them with my hifi but also my Sony Minidisc.
Finally, any recommendations for good headphones?

Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk
without an amplifier.

MD players have lower output than hard drive players and MP3

players?

By and large, devices that are normally battery operated have lower
maximum output than devices normally powered from the AC line.

Norm Strong

Arny Krueger

Adam Drake wrote:
I'd be using them with my hifi but also my Sony Minidisc.
Finally, any recommendations for good headphones?

Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk
without an amplifier.

MD players have lower output than hard drive players and MP3 players?

By and large, devices that are normally battery operated have lower
maximum output than devices normally powered from the AC line.

In this case, they're all portable, battery-operated devices.

iQbal

The important thing to look for in the headphone's is the sensitivity.

Although they current driven devices, they have wide range of
sensitivity

Cheap headphones with low impedance and low sensitivity will demand
more current from the headphone amp for a given acoustic output. This
increased current requirement could the overload feable headphone amp
into distortion.

Also professional headphones use better quality (neodymium) magnets
which result in improved sensitivity hence more output for the same
drive

iQbal

Adam Drake wrote:
I'd be using them with my hifi but also my Sony Minidisc.
Finally, any recommendations for good headphones?

Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk
without an amplifier.

MD players have lower output than hard drive players and MP3 players?

By and large, devices that are normally battery operated have lower
maximum output than devices normally powered from the AC line.

In this case, they're all portable, battery-operated devices.

TonyP

TonyP wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk
without an amplifier.

MD players have lower output than hard drive players and MP3 players?

By and large, devices that are normally battery operated have lower
maximum output than devices normally powered from the AC line.

In this case, they're all portable, battery-operated devices.

Yep, and the Senn 580's aren't designed for portable battery operated
devices or they would make them 32 ohm!

TonyP.

TonyP

"iQbal" wrote in message
om...
The important thing to look for in the headphone's is the sensitivity.

Before sound quality?

Although they current driven devices, they have wide range of
sensitivity
Cheap headphones with low impedance and low sensitivity will demand
more current from the headphone amp for a given acoustic output. This
increased current requirement could the overload feable headphone amp
into distortion.

Conversely high impedance headphones require more drive voltage which isn't
always available from low voltage portable sound devices which often have
more than adequate drive current but insufficient output voltage before
clipping for 600 ohm phones.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

TonyP wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Sennheiser HD 580

Great headphones, but may not be the best choice for a mini disk
without an amplifier.

MD players have lower output than hard drive players and MP3
players?

By and large, devices that are normally battery operated have lower
maximum output than devices normally powered from the AC line.

In this case, they're all portable, battery-operated devices.

Yep, and the Senn 580's aren't designed for portable battery operated
devices or they would make them 32 ohm!

I have a number of pieces of battery-operated devices and have happily used
my 580s with all of them.

Indeed, one of my quests has been to find listening devices that sound as
good as 580s, but are more suitable for portable use. The best I've found
yet are my FutureSonics IEMs:

http://futuresonics.umsebiz.com/stor...75&item=370255

While 580s do have pretty high impedance, they are about as sensitive to
pure voltage sources as many other headphones. IME, compliaints about lack
of loudness with them have as much to do with the fact that they are
relatively free of peaky response, as anything else.