Peter Larsen

Default Elcaset problem

Barry Mann wrote:

In , on 02/25/04
at 08:17 PM, "Jari Jokinen" said:

I intend to move some old elcaset-recordings to CD. Some of the
casettes work fine, but others (including some which were never used)
are reluctant to rotate and make lots of mechanical noise. The problem
is similar with two recently serviced EL-5 players. I have already
tried to wind and rewind the tapes, hoping they would become looser.

After a while the tape begins to physically deteriorate. Sometimes it
becomes "sticky", literally sticking to heads and itself while you
attempt to play the tape.

Does this really apply to the type of tape in those casettes?

The shell could also be distorted, or the
tape pack may have jammed due to having been dropped or poorly wound.
Winding is a good first try. If the tapes were stored poorly, there may
be mold.

Inspect the problem cassettes very carefully. You may be able to see
the problem and respond appropriately. If the shell is distorted,
remove the tape and put it into a good shell.

The casettes have been untouched for a long time. Is this kind of
problem typical for elcaset and is there some easy way to fix it?

The "non friction" foil layer on the inside of the box, if any, may have
become a friction foil.

There may be a few respondents who will suggest that you gently bake
the cassettes. It sounds like an interesting technique, but I've never
tried it. I do suggest that you make sure the tape pack is perfectly
wound before you subject it to any temperature extremes. If the tape
pack is not perfect, you'll cause edge damage. (if a small edge sticks
up, as the pack expands the edge will be slightly folded and a
permenant crease will be the result)

What would be a good newsgroup or forum to ask this kind of question?

This is a good place.

A good supplementary question is whether the head stack of the elcaset
deck was physically compatible with the one of standard 1/4 track decks,
in terms of running direction there may be a problem, but if the track
is in the right place on the tape, then it is "not a problem, just a
challenge". The question is asked because of the obvious attractiveness
of being able to play such a tape on a standard 1/4 track deck after
removing it from the faulty casette shell.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

* My site is at:
http://www.muyiovatki.dk *

Peter Larsen

Richard Kuschel wrote:

I have SLH (Type-I) and FeCr (Type-II) elcasettes. Does anyone know, if
baking will work with them?

Jari Jokinen

Unlikely that they need baking. I have never seen Japanese tape that required
it.

Fuji's Agfa copy ....

Ampex and 3M on the other hand may require cuch treatment.

Richard H. Kuschel

Peter Larsen

Jari Jokinen wrote:

I have SLH (Type-I) and FeCr (Type-II) elcasettes. Does anyone know, if
baking will work with them?

Baking is generally not relevant for tapes that do not have
back-coating, Sony tape is unlikely to need it anyway.

Disassembling the casette shell and removing the non-friction film that
has become a friction film and/or relubricating with modest amounts,
MODEST, of the kind of silicone oil that is sold at gas stations to
prevent car door rubber lists from freezing stuck may is what I would
try as early options.

Even simply winding the tapes 10 times may help ... or damage, I don't
have an actual elcaset deck or tape around, I think I would try getting
a tiny amount of silicone oil on the side of the tape cake and try
winding ... do be aware that you will be the first one to know whether
doing that will cause problems, it is an untested stray idea.

My first Akai had a extra tape cleansing felt pad and came with a small
vial of silicone oil that it was recommended to use on it to prevent
dust on the heads ...

YMMV .... ("your mileage may vary" .... meaning of that is that the
above may or may not be of any use in the context!)

Jari Jokinen

Richard Kuschel

In , on 02/28/04
at 02:43 PM, (Richard Kuschel) said:

The correct term is C-0 (CZero)

A C-0 would not be appropriate for Elcaset. C-0's are for Compact
Cassette tape, which is not as wide as Elcaset.

I don't remember if an Elcaset shell can be unloaded, but I was
suggesting that the tape be transferred from the bad shell to a known
good shell. (Use a shell from an Elcaset that has already been spooled
to CD)

In concept, an Elcaset tape could be transferred to a reel-to-reel
machine and played there. However, I don't recall if Elcaset used the
same equalization as reel-to-reel. If necessary, it is not a big deal
to adjust the equalization before burning the CD.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Sorry about the mixup, I was replying to the other guy who had asked a question
actually not related to the thread on Compact Cassette.

Now , back to Elcaset, the format may be the same as 1/4" two channel four
track Tracks 1&3 are respective left/right, or it could be similar to cassette
where tracks1&2 are Left & right.

If the latter, you would need a 4 channel playback machine such as a TEAC
A-2340 RS to play it back.

Remember tto transfer the tape to reels correctly so that it plays on the
oxide side.

Richard H. Kuschel

Jari Jokinen

All casettes are playable now! The problems were caused by distorted casette
shells and/or the non-friction films. I didn't dare to take away the films,
but removing some plastic under them with sand paper got the tapes rotating
again. I guess, I could have used just one working casette shell to play all
the tapes. Instead, I fixed each bad shell.

Again, thanks for your help.
Jari Jokinen