El Queso

Default 1/4" versus 1/8" jacks

TheKeith wrote:
I'm doing some voice recording for my flash animations and I'm using a shure
sm57 with a midiman mic preamp. I used to feed the 1/4" line out from my mic
preamp to the 1/4" input on my soundblaster's LiveDrive unit (which is
basically an extension of the sound card with 1/4" inputs) -- the problem is
that I just started using it again after about a year and a half and for
some reason can't get it to work. The computer won't recognize it--no matter
how many times I uninstall the drivers and in the device manager and then
reinstall it. Enough rambling on, I went to radio shack today and picked up
a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo adapter and just plugged that right into the
card instead-works fine, but since I have nothing to compare it to, I'm not
sure if it sounds worse than if I had been using the 1/4" ins.

In short, is there that much of a difference between 1/4" and 1/8",
particularly when the cable itself is a 1/4" one; only the plug (1/4" - 1/8"
adapter) is 1/8"? Thanks.

I use to use a Shure sm57 for voice recordings, I switched to an Octava
MK319 (only 99 bux at git center on sale) and it is a WORLD of
difference for voice-over and foley stuff. Very sensitive and very
cheap. Test it in the store though, I have heard that there are a few
bad ones floating around. I love mine. I have it going into a cheap
Bellari pre-amp and then into a cheap Behringer compressor.
Cheers,
Queso

dickydoo

No difference.

dickydoo

No difference.

dickydoo

No difference.

CJT

dickydoo wrote:

No difference.

I think 1/4" jacks are a _lot_ more reliable.

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the

dickydoo

I think 1/4" jacks are a _lot_ more reliable.
Yes they are but he cant change the socket , so in this case it should be
okay, unless he wants to make a new lead with the cannon on one end and an
1/8 on the other.