Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Recommended cable management accessories.

http://www.amazon.com/BongoTies-Orig.../dp/B0030FI3W4

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 9:41:00 PM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/BongoTies-Orig.../dp/B0030FI3W4

--
Les Cargill

10 Pc, that's it? Looks like recycled golf tees :-)

328 feet, enough to wrap the entire neighborhood cords up with!! Encased steel core wire can be used for grounding, or make you very own shielded wire!...

http://www.amazon.com/KLOUD-Multi-Fu...ds=GARDEN+TIES

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:41:00 AM UTC+2, Les Cargill wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/BongoTies-Orig.../dp/B0030FI3W4

--
Les Cargill

I use these. Every cable has one permanently attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Microfib...lcro+wire+ties

-Angus
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 5:55:35 PM UTC-4, Angus Kerr wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:41:00 AM UTC+2, Les Cargill wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/BongoTies-Orig.../dp/B0030FI3W4

--
Les Cargill

I use these. Every cable has one permanently attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Microfib...lcro+wire+ties

-Angus

Nice, but no need to constantly bundle cables. You can even buy these at a dollar store...

http://www.amazon.com/1000-140mm-Loc...SR16 0%2C160_

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 22-10-2015 23:46, JackA wrote:

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 5:55:35 PM UTC-4, Angus Kerr wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:41:00 AM UTC+2, Les Cargill wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/BongoTies-Orig.../dp/B0030FI3W4

http://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Microfib...lcro+wire+ties

Nice, but no need to constantly bundle cables. You can even buy these at a dollar store...

http://www.amazon.com/1000-140mm-Loc...SR16 0%2C160_

Most people doing audio want to take their cables home after the show.

Jack

- Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 22 Oct 2015, Angus Kerr wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I use these. Every cable has one permanently attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Microfib.../dp/B00O9VKVFK

I use these, too. Bought several rolls of them off eBay and still have
plenty left. They get too tangled up to use after a while, but they're
so cheap that I just replace it with a new one.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 23/10/2015 1:00 p.m., Nil wrote:
On 22 Oct 2015, Angus Kerr wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I use these. Every cable has one permanently attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Microfib.../dp/B00O9VKVFK

I use these, too. Bought several rolls of them off eBay and still have
plenty left. They get too tangled up to use after a while, but they're
so cheap that I just replace it with a new one.

Maybe use the regular non-microfibre ones and they wouldn't tangle up !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Angus Kerr wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:41:00 AM UTC+2, Les Cargill wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/BongoTies-Orig.../dp/B0030FI3W4

--
Les Cargill

I use these. Every cable has one permanently attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Microfib...lcro+wire+ties

-Angus

Those aren't bad.

I like the ones that come off the cable better. I throw the
bongo tie I took off in the container where I got the cables.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

These are the most economical cable ties that I've found that work
pretty well. They're thinner than the fuzzy ones and they're not useful
for holding a coiled multi-pair cable (snake) but they're fine for up to
about 20 feet of mic cable.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-br...0924/202261940

Being a certified tightwad, I've found that they're long enough so that
for lighter and shorter cables, I can cut one in half, cut a new slit in
the "head" end, and have two cable ties for the price of one.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 7:16:50 PM UTC-4, Peter Larsen wrote:
On 22-10-2015 23:46, JackA wrote:

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 5:55:35 PM UTC-4, Angus Kerr wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:41:00 AM UTC+2, Les Cargill wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/BongoTies-Orig.../dp/B0030FI3W4

http://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Microfib...lcro+wire+ties

Nice, but no need to constantly bundle cables. You can even buy these at a dollar store...

http://www.amazon.com/1000-140mm-Loc...SR16 0%2C160_

Most people doing audio want to take their cables home after the show.

Not a single person mentioned about a "show". I agree with whoever, a professional would purchase something more durable and larger for long cable runs.

Jack

Jack

- Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Most people doing audio want to take their cables home after the show.

Not a single person mentioned about a "show". I agree with whoever, a professional would purchase something more durable and larger for long cable runs.

Jack
I feel like being nice this morning

Jack, there are several areas of "pro" sound folks represented here

one is in studio recording

the second is known as "live sound" , these are the sound guys at live concerts
these are the guys that will be rolling up cables and need cable ties

a third group which is not so well represented here would be anyone who works on sound in the filming of movies and TV shows... Google "boom op" for some interesting reading

and a fourth would be broadcast sound folks

any more I missed?

most folks here are in the first and second group

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/23/2015 12:52 PM, JackA wrote:
If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

I don't have enough wall space for that. I store them in a milk crate
because I often need to take them out of the studio, and it's easy to
carry a bunch of cables like that. When they're secured, they come out
one at a time, easily.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 23 Oct 2015, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

These are the most economical cable ties that I've found that work
pretty well. They're thinner than the fuzzy ones and they're not
useful for holding a coiled multi-pair cable (snake) but they're
fine for up to about 20 feet of mic cable.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-br...-Reusable-Ties
-50-Pack-90924/202261940

Being a certified tightwad, I've found that they're long enough so
that for lighter and shorter cables, I can cut one in half, cut a
new slit in the "head" end, and have two cable ties for the price
of one.

Those are the same things that Angus mentioned earlier. They are good
and cheap and plenty strong enough for securing light cables.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/23/2015 12:52 PM, JackA wrote:
If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

I don't have enough wall space for that. I store them in a milk crate
because I often need to take them out of the studio, and it's easy to
carry a bunch of cables like that. When they're secured, they come out
one at a time, easily.

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/xx.png

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 1:45:26 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/23/2015 12:52 PM, JackA wrote:
If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

I don't have enough wall space for that. I store them in a milk crate
because I often need to take them out of the studio, and it's easy to
carry a bunch of cables like that. When they're secured, they come out
one at a time, easily.

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/xx.png

Ha! Looks like Bob Marley!! :-)

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 7:05:29 PM UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/23/2015 12:52 PM, JackA wrote:
If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

I don't have enough wall space for that. I store them in a milk crate
because I often need to take them out of the studio, and it's easy to
carry a bunch of cables like that. When they're secured, they come out
one at a time, easily.

Ditto, I'm short of space in general. Each mic cable get coiled up, one turn out one turn in and then secured with the velcro tie. I store the cables in a plastic bin that's easily accessible. The tie belongs to the cable and is always attached, so it never gets lost. You can also use it to secure a coil of cable if it's too long on stage (or in the studio), and that makes for a nice environment. I can't stand cables all over the place. They seem to have a talent of tying themselves in knots, and they just upset my chi. In fact, I'm staring at a spaghetti pile on the floor right now that's just plain depressing me.....

-Angus.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 7:45:26 PM UTC+2, Scott Dorsey wrote:

http://www.panix.com/~kludge/xx.png

"C'est monsiuer Marley"

Awesome, got a laugh out of me...g
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 4:25:07 PM UTC-4, Angus Kerr wrote:
[...]

.... but at least you can see what the cable is, rather than have one piled on another in some bin (like to see the mess as you hunt). And if you do not have any room on the walls, I'm guessing the studio is no bigger than a small bathroom.

Jack

-Angus.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 10:34:48 PM UTC+2, JackA wrote:
[...]

Well, normally, if I'm doing my own stuff, I rarely use more than a couple (2 mic cables and a couple of jacks). So those may be hung on the wall, or just permanently plugged in. All of the others are generally used for gigs, so the bin is the perfect place for them. And, because they are secured with velcro ties, there is no mess, they just stay together, even if I'm hunting for others. It's amazing how, if cables are tied, they don't tangle.

My studio, unfortunately, is not a good size. It also doubles as my workshop, so a lot of wall space is used to hang power tools and other odds and ends. But if I want to get good acoustic recordings, I'll go someplace where there is a good room. It is what it is, it's not big enough, has a horrible lower midrange bump, but it's all I've got and it has to do for now - probably at my age with other, higher priorities, it will always be a nasty sounding little box. I've got used to it.

-Angus.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Angus Kerr writes:

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 7:05:29 PM UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/23/2015 12:52 PM, JackA wrote:
If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

=20
I don't have enough wall space for that. I store them in a milk crate=20
because I often need to take them out of the studio, and it's easy to=20
carry a bunch of cables like that. When they're secured, they come out=20
one at a time, easily.
=20

Ditto, I'm short of space in general. Each mic cable get coiled up, one tur=
n out one turn in and then secured with the velcro tie. I store the cables =

It can get messy going out on location when possible every second counts and you
don't want to rethink the whole setup minute-to-minute.

A practice that makes me shudder is seeing a bunch of cables, unlabeled, tossed into
a duffle bag, crammed into the back of a rack, or piled into a stage box. Doesn't
matter how they're secured, they're still typically a mess when stored like that.

I use several of the smaller diameter orange cable reels, with the cables plugged
end-to-end and spun on as one big length. On a big setup, all the lengths get their
own reel. On a smaller set up, I might combo-up varied lengths on fewer reels. (Each
reel typically holds 300-400 feet of the lighter-weight Gepco 1022 or Beldon 1800F.)

My custom cables use weird lengths that have proven highly efficient in venue after
venue: 9 foot, 20 foot, 30 foot, 45 foot, and 60 foot.

I don't own and 25 or 50s -- they alway seems to be the wrong length for just about
any stage setup (too long or too short).

Each cable, on each end, gets clear heat shrink around a numerical label. The number
prefix is the cable length; the second part is a unique sequence ID that appears
only on that cable and no other.

This is a really wonderful setup when, again, that pressure mounts and time is
short. It's hard to get stuff screwed up with this system. (In my pre-production
work after scouting the venue, I usually draw up a stage wiring map or at least a
table of connections listing microphone, line #, snake channel #, preamp and preamp
channel #, track number, and monitor console channel.)

Reduces the sweat/stress factor quite a bit.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 4:44:35 PM UTC-4, Angus Kerr wrote:
[...]

Maybe I'm just used to Test facilities where everything (cables) are hung on walls and you can immediately SEE and grab the cable(s) you need.

At YOUR age? What, you think I'm some youngin' kid?? I must admit, I do write like one!! :-)

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 24/10/2015 5:52 a.m., JackA wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 9:37:26 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/23/2015 9:12 AM, wrote:
Jack, there are several areas of "pro" sound folks represented
here one is in studio recording

We use cable ties, too. I know some people connect mics when they
buy them and leave them connected until they sell them or move, but
most of us with studios have enough mics and cables so that we're
swapping them out frequently. It's important to keep the cables
tidy and ready for use when needed.

If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

Jack

Um, most of us here are using cables all the time Jack - uncoiling,
using , re-coiling, and storing. I do for multiple purposes - studio and
live sound.

If putting many cables in a bin, ties are essential. Unless you want to
carry a tool around to cut non-reusable nylon cable tries, then Velcro
or elastic ones do the job perfectly. I prefer Velcro

Even on my cable-hanger racks in the studio I still tend to use ties -
possibly a little less space available that Abbey Rd, and the plug ends
do tend to pull down with gravity.

Note not all hook-and-loop ties are created equal - some lose their grip
prematurely (I think it's inferior loop material). A "known brand" like
Velcro is safest.

But I'm sure you'll know better.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On 10/23/2015 9:12 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yes, I do, I see what is sold at dollar stores. But, you are correct, Velcro, a 3M product, is the safest. But that's not what was posted from Amazon, though they do offer Velcro at a higher price. I'd feel the "pros" would demand the best.

But, what gets me, you claim everyone is continually doing recordings, but I'd like to know where you find the time to waste in usenet?

Also, you mean gravity tends to pull plugs off cables? I'd question the quality of those cables, if they are that delicate.

Anyway, I felt this was about tying/securing wires on a stereo system, since it was not clear at all what the Subject was. Maybe others are mind readers.

Thanks.

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 23 Oct 2015, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Anyway, I felt this was about tying/securing wires on a stereo
system, since it was not clear at all what the Subject was. Maybe
others are mind readers.

Maybe all others understand that this isn't a newsgroup about stereo
systems, you dolt.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 9:58:04 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 23 Oct 2015, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Anyway, I felt this was about tying/securing wires on a stereo
system, since it was not clear at all what the Subject was. Maybe
others are mind readers.

Maybe all others understand that this isn't a newsgroup about stereo
systems, you dolt.

Yes, I agree, the Windows 10 topic, posted by a regular, must have been the recommended number of windows in a recording studio.

Stifle.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 24/10/2015 4:05 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/23/2015 12:52 PM, JackA wrote:
If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

I don't have enough wall space for that.

And if you put a bunch of cables on one hook without a tie, quickly
separating them when you need them can be annoying.
I do know someone who connects all his XLR's end to end and winds them
on or off a big hose reel as needed though.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 24/10/2015 4:45 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
http://www.panix.com/~kludge/xx.png

Separating that mess in a hurry to get one cable would annoy me.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 11:52:02 PM UTC+2, Frank Stearns wrote:

Ditto, I'm short of space in general. Each mic cable get coiled up, one tur=
n out one turn in and then secured with the velcro tie. I store the cables =

It can get messy going out on location when possible every second counts and you
don't want to rethink the whole setup minute-to-minute.

A practice that makes me shudder is seeing a bunch of cables, unlabeled, tossed into
a duffle bag, crammed into the back of a rack, or piled into a stage box. Doesn't
matter how they're secured, they're still typically a mess when stored like that.

One of my dear friends takes the cable, folds it end to end, then again, until it's about 2-3 ft, and then ties a knot in the whole thing and stores that. He then tosses them all in a duffle bag, and surprisingly, they don't get tangled at all. I personally don't like the stress that tying a knot will impose on the internal wires and screens will created. Mostly, if you are running a one man show, or contributing your cables to a community gig, whatever system you are running works for you because you will know what you have and have a mental inventory. I kind of like 'box' mentality, because if you always put the stuff in the box, it's always there and nothing get's forgotten. I do this a lot when camping. Everything necessary lives in the box, which is stored and never opened between trips.

If you are running a more professional setup, more systematic approach is required. The last time I did a stage was for my own 50th birthday. There were two of us contributing gear and cables etc. So we kind of knew who had what and set to it. If I were doing this for a living, everything would be asset tagged and labelled. A lot of sound companies I've dealt with (being a musician on stage and seeing how they worked) tended to store their cables singly with a velcro tie.

I use several of the smaller diameter orange cable reels, with the cables plugged
end-to-end and spun on as one big length. On a big setup, all the lengths get their
own reel. On a smaller set up, I might combo-up varied lengths on fewer reels. (Each
reel typically holds 300-400 feet of the lighter-weight Gepco 1022 or Beldon 1800F.)

Does this mean you have to rearrange the cables on a drum before you set off?

My custom cables use weird lengths that have proven highly efficient in venue after
venue: 9 foot, 20 foot, 30 foot, 45 foot, and 60 foot.

In metres: 2.75m, 6m, 9m, 14m, 18m

I don't own and 25 (7.62m) or 50s (15m) -- they alway seems to be the wrong length for just about
any stage setup (too long or too short).

Each cable, on each end, gets clear heat shrink around a numerical label. The number
prefix is the cable length; the second part is a unique sequence ID that appears
only on that cable and no other.

Good idea, but not so great when you already have made off the cables like me, which already cost quite a few hours, or bought the cables already made off.

This is a really wonderful setup when, again, that pressure mounts and time is
short. It's hard to get stuff screwed up with this system. (In my pre-production
work after scouting the venue, I usually draw up a stage wiring map or at least a
table of connections listing microphone, line #, snake channel #, preamp and preamp
channel #, track number, and monitor console channel.)

Reduces the sweat/stress factor quite a bit.

Again, quite a good idea.

Frank
Mobile Audio

--
.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 3:24:17 AM UTC+2, JackA wrote:
-snip-

Note not all hook-and-loop ties are created equal - some lose their grip
prematurely (I think it's inferior loop material). A "known brand" like
Velcro is safest.

But I'm sure you'll know better.

Yes, I do, I see what is sold at dollar stores. But, you are correct, Velcro, a 3M product, is the safest. But that's not what was posted from Amazon, though they do offer Velcro at a higher price. I'd feel the "pros" would demand the best.

I posted a the first link on what Google popped up. My cables are secured with Velcro brand ties, not the specific ones in the link.

But, what gets me, you claim everyone is continually doing recordings, but I'd like to know where you find the time to waste in usenet?

Also, you mean gravity tends to pull plugs off cables? I'd question the quality of those cables, if they are that delicate.

Re-read. He said gravity tends to pull down the plugs.

Anyway, I felt this was about tying/securing wires on a stereo system, since it was not clear at all what the Subject was. Maybe others are mind readers.

Thanks.

Jack

It is rec.audio.pro after all. Recording and live sound.
My stereo system is secure with cable ties. But that's more permanent cable tidying.

You learn over time that when using a large number of cables, you must have a system that is neat and efficient. Doing a live sound setup of a rock band, you will use as many as 20+ xlr-xlr cables just for the mics and DI's on stage, then there are the monitor feeds, and the main speaker feeds (maybe another 12 or so). Then all the jack-to-jack instrument cables for guitars, basses, keyboards etc. You need little Jack to xlr female and male adaptors so that you can connect a TRS jack to a balanced xlr, and it is amazing how many ac adaptors / distributors you need these days. The guitar effects pedal (each guitarist needing to use his own), the bass guitar effects pedal, the powered monitors, the keyboard, the backline amplifiers, the keyboard monitors, the laptop on stage....the list goes on and on.

Then microphone stands for drum overheads, kick drum (nowadays you get clip ons for the snare and toms), vocalists, guitar amplifier(s)....The snake, the mixer, the powered speakers, the subs, the monitor wedges.....A lot of gear is required.

And then all the microphones....and microphone clips that regularly get lost / stolen.

That's why over the last 10 years, I haven't done much of this...I've been doing string quartet gigs: I take one violin, a music stand and the sheet music. Done....

But rock is in my blood, and I'm a gear slut, so....I'm prepared to sweat to get a rock gig up and running.

Normally, it's the tear down that hurts the most. Especially if you've also been playing all night....Packing up gear at 1-2 am when you're dog tired is no joke...One has to do this immediately after you've finished the show... when there is still energy.

-Angus.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Angus Kerr writes:

snips

I use several of the smaller diameter orange cable reels, with the cables=

plugged=20
end-to-end and spun on as one big length. On a big setup, all the lengths=

get their=20
own reel. On a smaller set up, I might combo-up varied lengths on fewer r=

eels. (Each=20
reel typically holds 300-400 feet of the lighter-weight Gepco 1022 or Bel=

don 1800F.)

Does this mean you have to rearrange the cables on a drum before you set of=
f?

To some extent; depends on the gig. I have multiple reels. The full kit has one reel
for each length set. If it's a simple 4 or 6 microphone set up, one or two reels
will generally do it with the varied anticipated lengths put on one or two reels; if
it's a 24+ channel set I'll bring them all.

The cable swap-around before I go out on location is fast and easy; just spin out
the lengths you need then rewind as needed. One thing about reels I failed to
mention is how few tangle issues one has.

This is a must for the Gepco 1022. It's sonically good, reliable, sturdy -- but my
oh my is it ever a tangle-prone product.

BTW, the first XLR on the reel, usually a male, goes through a hole in the side wall
and is "captured" by a piece of 3/4 inch inside diameter automotive heater hose.
This little chunk of hose is secured to the outside of the reel. This makes for an
easy start for reeling, and you could, in pinch, make a connection to, say, a preamp
with a jumper while cable is still on the reel.

Of course, these gigs also include snakes to get centralized connection points on
stage. I have a mix of 8 and 4 channel snakes.

I have an event at the end of this coming week to record and provide PA splits to
the house. They will be an orchestra, piano, narrator, four choirs (180 combined
voices for the opening and closing pieces, then each choir will have its own segment
of the program).

One 8 channel snake goes upstage to gather the four choral mics (with 20 and 30 foot
lines to get to them), two solo locations, and two percussion spots. Another 8
channel snake swings around down stage to handle three orchestra spots,
narrator/announcer, FX synth, and piano (10, 20, and 30 foot lines). A four channel
snake goes out into the house for the main pair and outriggers for a "down
front/partially in the house" choral work.

The room, and especially the stage, are quite dead. All those channels gives one a
much better starting point for both recording and reinforcement.

My custom cables use weird lengths that have proven highly efficient in v=

enue after=20
venue: 9 foot, 20 foot, 30 foot, 45 foot, and 60 foot.

In metres: 2.75m, 6m, 9m, 14m, 18m

Thanks for the conversions!

I don't own and 25 (7.62m) or 50s (15m) -- they alway seems to be the wro=

ng length for just about=20
any stage setup (too long or too short).

Each cable, on each end, gets clear heat shrink around a numerical label.=

The number=20
prefix is the cable length; the second part is a unique sequence ID that =

appears=20
only on that cable and no other.

Good idea, but not so great when you already have made off the cables like =
me, which already cost quite a few hours, or bought the cables already made=
off.

Actually, you can still do some sort of ID system, either like this or whatever
scheme you like. You can get various "add after the fact" numbering kits for wires
and cable. It is nice to have the clear shrink to protect the numbers, but with
better quality stick-ons you should be okay for a while, then re-label as needed.

This is a really wonderful setup when, again, that pressure mounts and ti=

me is=20
short. It's hard to get stuff screwed up with this system. (In my pre-pro=

duction=20
work after scouting the venue, I usually draw up a stage wiring map or at=

least a=20
table of connections listing microphone, line #, snake channel #, preamp =

and preamp=20
channel #, track number, and monitor console channel.)
=20
Reduces the sweat/stress factor quite a bit.
=20

Again, quite a good idea.

Thanks. Being far north of youth in age, things to leverage setup time (and reduce
or remove the chances for errors) really helps.

Sipping morning tea while pondering the layout on paper ahead of time is
way better than running around the venue, unprepared, kicking yourself for
overlooking something, or using up all the 30' cables were 20's would have worked,
then being short of 30s when you need them! Things like that...

Of course, there are always the last-minute changes but the bulk of your work is
done, and you can (mostly) accommodate such things.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 24-10-2015 07:52, Trevor wrote:

On 24/10/2015 4:05 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:

On 10/23/2015 12:52 PM, JackA wrote:
If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

I don't have enough wall space for that.

And if you put a bunch of cables on one hook without a tie, quickly
separating them when you need them can be annoying.
I do know someone who connects all his XLR's end to end and winds them
on or off a big hose reel as needed though.

Do consider that the pressure on the innermost windings with be high. Do
not overdo. I decided against that strategy. Velcro straps works well
for me.

Trevor.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 24-10-2015 09:00, Angus Kerr wrote:

One of my dear friends takes the cable, folds it end to end, then again, until it's about 2-3 ft, and then ties a knot in the whole thing and stores that. He then tosses them all in a duffle bag, and surprisingly, they don't get tangled at all. I personally don't like the stress that tying a knot will impose on the internal wires and screens will created. Mostly, if you are running a one man show, or contributing your cables to a community gig, whatever system you are running works for you because you will know what you have and have a mental inventory. I kind of like 'box' mentality, because if you always put the stuff in the box, it's always there and nothing get's forgotten. I do this a lot when camping. Everything necessary lives in the box, which is stored and never opened between trips.

There is a bbc recommendation to that effect and it is a good strategy
for short cables, above some 4 meters not so good.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 4:43:12 PM UTC+2, Peter Larsen wrote:
[...]

Most of our cables are short, max 5 metres. If we need longer we just connect end to end.

Whatever works well, I think, as long as you are not twisting like rolling over your elbow and shoulder. I think also, that cables 'learn' and memorise the way they are rolled up and don't like it when suddenly things change. I'm a big believer in the one loop out one loop in way of rolling cables.

-Angus
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 25/10/2015 1:37 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
On 24-10-2015 07:52, Trevor wrote:
On 24/10/2015 4:05 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/23/2015 12:52 PM, JackA wrote:
If you recall that Abbey Road video, they stored long cables on wall
pegs. You coil the cable, hang it and that's that. The only reason I
could see the need for cable wraps if during transport.

I don't have enough wall space for that.

And if you put a bunch of cables on one hook without a tie, quickly
separating them when you need them can be annoying.
I do know someone who connects all his XLR's end to end and winds them
on or off a big hose reel as needed though.

Do consider that the pressure on the innermost windings with be high.

Yes, you'd really want a large diameter drum, which would be more
inconvenient than what it's worth AFAIC.

I decided against that strategy. Velcro straps works well
for me.

Me too Peter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 24/10/2015 11:22 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:
Angus Kerr writes:
Each cable, on each end, gets clear heat shrink around a numerical label.=

The number=20
prefix is the cable length; the second part is a unique sequence ID that =

appears=20
only on that cable and no other.

Good idea, but not so great when you already have made off the cables like =
me, which already cost quite a few hours, or bought the cables already made=
off.

Actually, you can still do some sort of ID system, either like this or whatever
scheme you like. You can get various "add after the fact" numbering kits for wires
and cable. It is nice to have the clear shrink to protect the numbers, but with
better quality stick-ons you should be okay for a while, then re-label as needed.

Or just use electrical tape and a Sharpie. I use various colors for even
quicker ID. A 2 color combo per cable means I don't have to look at the
numbers. Especially if you follow the resistor color code. (for those
who know it by heart anyway) When I see other sound guys trying to find
which cable is which during a festival, I really wonder why they don't
get organised.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
Or just use electrical tape and a Sharpie. I use various colors for even
quicker ID. A 2 color combo per cable means I don't have to look at the
numbers. Especially if you follow the resistor color code. (for those
who know it by heart anyway) When I see other sound guys trying to find
which cable is which during a festival, I really wonder why they don't
get organised.

What is it with British crews and electrical tape? Nobody will touch that
stuff in the US because it leaves goo all over everything.

I do know companies that mark cables with various codes, using nail polish
on the XLRs, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Angus Kerr wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:41:00 AM UTC+2, Les Cargill wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/BongoTies-Orig.../dp/B0030FI3W4

--
Les Cargill

I use these. Every cable has one permanently attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Microfib...lcro+wire+ties

-Angus

Those things get grotty and they are invariably all at one end and
get in the way. I suppose you could use them like I use the bongo ties
- toss 'em in the container the cables came from.

--
Les Cargill