Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
paul packer paul packer is offline

Default Poor performance from new 5 1/4 inch Polk car speakers ?

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:53:17 +1100, "Neil Green"
wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote
in message ...
paul packer wrote:

Imagine you're a monk in a medieval monastery
copying out a precious
manuscript, with no room for errors. Bring careful
attention to bear
whilst re-reading your text, and only then hit
"Send Now"....

It's hard to believe, but there was a time before
spell checkers. :-)

You never expect the spanish inqusition, do you?

How could you?
It's chief weapon is surprise.

You mean it's still around?
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:33:10 +0100, Peter Larsen
wrote:

paul packer wrote:

Imagine you're a monk in a medieval monastery copying out a precious
manuscript, with no room for errors. Bring careful attention to bear
whilst re-reading your text, and only then hit "Send Now"....

It's hard to believe, but there was a time before spell checkers. :-)

You never expect the spanish inqusition, do you?

O;-)

There were of course also later methods of spell checking prior to the
"new learning concept" of not posing to great demands on the pupils
leading to functional illiteracy being on the increase rather than on
the decrease.

Regards

Peter Larsen

Spending time in schools, not to mention Usenet, I've discovered that
functional illiteracy is an epidemic rivalled perhaps only by
diabeties. And in terms of its effect on one's quality of life, it's
more serious.

Lately I've been getting questions from potential buyers of my Ebay
items that I simple can't fathom. George will tell you I'm getting
doddery, but I say people--not all young--are totally losing command
of the language. It's frightening.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
paul packer paul packer is offline

Default All about reilgion...

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:59:26 -0500, George M. Middius cmndr
[underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote:

paul packer said:

George has made a mistake.

You're the one who's talking to Poopie B'ar.

And you're the one who's getting doddery. Nah nah...nah nah nah..

Oh never mind...
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:

[my comment]

if it is claimed to have "18 watts pr. channel" then it
probably has some 5 to 9 watts pr channel as amplifier power
is normally measured.

Don't forget bridged outputs, which this almost certainly is.
Figure around 15 watts per channel real-world.

"Music Power" perhaps, but RMS in 4 Ohms, I still think 9 is more like
it but you well be right. It is only about a couple of dB's and the
"treble distortion" as described still points at simple amplifier
clipping as the first concern with the actual setup.
I have also been wondering whether those defunct old loudspeakers in
his roll-bar could be partially or complete short circuited and still
in circuit. But we may have lost the OP in the feud about illitteracy
in the US ....

Mark Z.

Regards

Peter Larsen

Bridged output amps can get up to 4 times the RMS power of an unbalanced
"normal" amp since power varies to the square of the voltage or current. If
the current is not significantly limited, such as in a car setup, then twice
the signal swing results in 4x the power. I was just rounding off and
including a "fudge factor" in my mental calculation to account for losses in
wiring, etc.

Mark Z.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
message
. net

Don't forget bridged outputs, which this almost certainly
is. Figure around 15 watts per channel real-world.

A good bridged carsound amp running off a proper auto electrical system
should be able to put out a clean 14-15 watts into a 4 ohm load. Usual rule
of thumb is that it will clip above 4 volts rms.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default What is wrong with the Krooborg?

paul packer said:

Lately I've been getting questions from potential buyers of my Ebay
items that I simple can't fathom. George will tell you I'm getting
doddery, but I say people--not all young--are totally losing command
of the language. It's frightening.

ebay can be a shocking experience. I've had people ask whether the item in
the picture is the one I'm selling, whether "three" really means "three",
if I'd be willing to ship a pair of 40-lb speakers to Hong Kong, and more.
And people's grammar and spelling are sub-Usenet in quality. Maybe even
sub-Krooglish.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
David Martel David Martel is offline

Default I'm wrong

Paul,

Why did I never expect to see a header in RAO entitled, "I'm wrong."

Actually I'm posting from alt.audio.equipment. I'm sure no one over at
RAO would ever express a wrong opinion.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:09:31 -0500, George M. Middius cmndr

paul packer said:

Lately I've been getting questions from potential buyers of my Ebay
items that I simple can't fathom. George will tell you I'm getting
doddery, but I say people--not all young--are totally losing command
of the language. It's frightening.

ebay can be a shocking experience. I've had people ask whether the item in
the picture is the one I'm selling, whether "three" really means "three",
if I'd be willing to ship a pair of 40-lb speakers to Hong Kong, and more.
And people's grammar and spelling are sub-Usenet in quality. Maybe even
sub-Krooglish.

Try this for size:

"are these speakers same with the last time u won from here?"

I had to ask for clarification. He meant, was I listing the same
speakers again.

A question: Why is this thread called "What is wrong with the
Krooborg?"?
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:52:27 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

Paul,

Why did I never expect to see a header in RAO entitled, "I'm wrong."

Actually I'm posting from alt.audio.equipment. I'm sure no one over at
RAO would ever express a wrong opinion.

Well, no one has up till now. Just ask them. :-)
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech

paul packer said:

ebay can be a shocking experience. I've had people ask whether the item in
the picture is the one I'm selling, whether "three" really means "three",
if I'd be willing to ship a pair of 40-lb speakers to Hong Kong, and more.
And people's grammar and spelling are sub-Usenet in quality. Maybe even
sub-Krooglish.

Try this for size:
"are these speakers same with the last time u won from here?"
I had to ask for clarification. He meant, was I listing the same
speakers again.

Maybe he was from Indonesia. You know what those people are like when it
comes to our language.

A question: Why is this thread called "What is wrong with the
Krooborg?"?

Why not?

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

paul packer wrote:

Why did I never expect to see a header in RAO entitled, "I'm wrong."

What would you have done if you had looked over and seen that Arny had
wrote it?!?

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Try this for size:
"are these speakers same with the last time u won from here?"
I had to ask for clarification. He meant, was I listing the same
speakers again.

Maybe he was from Indonesia. You know what those people are like when it
comes to our language.

You've turned into a racist now too ?

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Poopie plotzed:

Maybe he was from Indonesia. You know what those people are like when it
comes to our language.

You've turned into a racist now too ?

Are you trying to get accepted into the Idiots' Club? Scottie is still the
reigning King of the Idiots, but maybe they'll let you in as the Substitute
Gofer.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 03:00:51 GMT, dizzy wrote:

paul packer wrote:

Why did I never expect to see a header in RAO entitled, "I'm wrong."

What would you have done if you had looked over and seen that Arny had
wrote it?!?

Fainted, of course. Then got up and corrected your grammar.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

paul packer wrote:

dizzy wrote:

What would you have done if you had looked over and seen that Arny had
wrote it?!?

Fainted, of course. Then got up and corrected your grammar.

Would you then critique my wardrobe and interior decor?

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 04:39:24 GMT, dizzy wrote:

paul packer wrote:

dizzy wrote:

What would you have done if you had looked over and seen that Arny had
wrote it?!?

Fainted, of course. Then got up and corrected your grammar.

Would you then critique my wardrobe and interior decor?

No doubt there's ample opportunity for sharp criticism in those areas
of your existance as well (and your hair--why is it sticking straight
up like that?). However, I'll restrict myself to grammar for now. :-)