Universal Indicator

Default Dropped levels + increased distortion on Aiwa 5.1 receiver

Hello, I have an Aiwa 5.1 receiver, AV-D58, that I purchased early
2002. It had worked great until recently. I lent it to my sister for a
few months, and I just got it back a couple days ago. I hooked it back
up, and now I am having problems.

The problem is that you can't hear anything unless you turn it up
almost all the way, and by that point the sound is very distorted.

This happens on both regular speakers and with headphones. I've tested
with multiple sources and inputs on the receiver, and even just the
built-in FM tuner, all with the same results.

I opened the cover to see if I could see anything disconnected or
obviously fried, but everything looks good.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I am assuming it would cost more to fix
this than to just shell out another $200 for a new receiver, right?
Universal Indicator

Nope, not in monitor mode. In fact, it even has a button called "Source
Direct" that will bypass all additions to the sound (including bass and
treble), and with that on I get the same results.

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article ,
(Universal Indicator) wrote:

Hello, I have an Aiwa 5.1 receiver, AV-D58, that I purchased early
2002. It had worked great until recently. I lent it to my sister for a
few months, and I just got it back a couple days ago. I hooked it back
up, and now I am having problems.

The problem is that you can't hear anything unless you turn it up
almost all the way, and by that point the sound is very distorted.

This happens on both regular speakers and with headphones. I've tested
with multiple sources and inputs on the receiver, and even just the
built-in FM tuner, all with the same results.

I opened the cover to see if I could see anything disconnected or
obviously fried, but everything looks good.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I am assuming it would cost more to fix
this than to just shell out another $200 for a new receiver, right?

Is it in "Monitor" mode? That's where the audio is passed through a set
of jacks on the rear for external sound processing. You'll get no sound
if it's in monitor mode and there's nothing connected. Many modern
receivers have the feature even if it's not shown on the front panel.
It's enabled on some receivers by holding down the last input selector
button for 2 seconds. Check the manual.

(It's named after old 3-head tape decks that allowed you to monitor the
actual recording so you could tweak the controls.)

jay

Universal Indicator wrote:

Nope, not in monitor mode. In fact, it even has a button called "Source
Direct" that will bypass all additions to the sound (including bass and
treble), and with that on I get the same results.

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article ,
(Universal Indicator) wrote:

Hello, I have an Aiwa 5.1 receiver, AV-D58, that I purchased early
2002. It had worked great until recently. I lent it to my sister for a
few months, and I just got it back a couple days ago. I hooked it back
up, and now I am having problems.

The problem is that you can't hear anything unless you turn it up
almost all the way, and by that point the sound is very distorted.

was it working for her when she returned it?

This happens on both regular speakers and with headphones. I've tested
with multiple sources and inputs on the receiver, and even just the
built-in FM tuner, all with the same results.

did you try with just headphones and no speakers connected?

also try turning off the surround mode and running it in
just stereo... you should only get sound from the front
L & R speakers

I opened the cover to see if I could see anything disconnected or
obviously fried, but everything looks good.

look closely for spider-webs in it (including under the main
circuit board if you can )

if there are any cards/boards that plug into the main board
you could try removing & re-installing them... just make
sure its unplugged and you discharge any static in yourself
first

Any ideas what could be wrong? I am assuming it would cost more to fix
this than to just shell out another $200 for a new receiver, right?

Is it in "Monitor" mode? That's where the audio is passed through a set
of jacks on the rear for external sound processing. You'll get no sound
if it's in monitor mode and there's nothing connected. Many modern
receivers have the feature even if it's not shown on the front panel.
It's enabled on some receivers by holding down the last input selector
button for 2 seconds. Check the manual.

(It's named after old 3-head tape decks that allowed you to monitor the
actual recording so you could tweak the controls.)

Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian Tech 60 February 20th 04 09:11 PM
Clean Power? Dylan X Car Audio 99 January 7th 04 04:02 PM
Setting up a two amp system Scott Dunam Tech 160 November 22nd 03 10:00 PM
Main speakers with builtin subwoofer - How to configure receiver? Michael Harder Audio Opinions 0 October 28th 03 11:18 PM
Pioneer Clipping and Distortion was:DEH-P840MP, infinity kappa 693.5i and kappa 50.5cs component. Soundfreak03 Car Audio 0 August 29th 03 04:05 AM