Jiyang Chen

Default polarization markings on lamp cord

I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings. How
do you know which is + and -?

Thanks

Jiyang

Eberhard Sengpiel

Jiyang Chen wrote:
I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't
seem to find the markings. How
do you know which is + and -?

Hi Jiyang,

Your lamp uses alternating current.
There is no plus and minus.
Don't care about it.

Cheers

Eberhard

Laurence Payne

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:45:28 GMT, "Jiyang Chen" wrote:

I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings. How
do you know which is + and -?

When using it as speaker wire? You should be able to improvise a
continuity test. Or connect both speakers, place them close together
and reverse polarity on one speaker until you get maximum bass. Then
the speakers are in correct phase.
Jiyang Chen

"Eberhard Sengpiel" wrote in message
Jiyang Chen wrote:
I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't
seem to find the markings. How
do you know which is + and -?

Hi Jiyang,

Your lamp uses alternating current.
There is no plus and minus.
Don't care about it.

Cheers

Eberhard

Hi,
I'm using the lamp cord as speaker cables though.

Thanks

Rich.Andrews

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in newsJm7d.5263$nj.3832
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Jiyang Chen wrote:
I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't
seem to find the markings. How
do you know which is + and -?

Hi Jiyang,

Your lamp uses alternating current.
There is no plus and minus.
Don't care about it.

Cheers

Eberhard

Hi,
I'm using the lamp cord as speaker cables though.

Thanks

One side usually has an extra rib or ridge running the length of it. Look
carefully as it is easy to miss.

Jerry G.

If you look very carefully at the edges of the lamp cord, on one side,
there should be a set of very thin rib like lines that run along its
length. As for the speaker connections, this rib line can be used for
the positive side, if you desire.

The idea of this rib line, is that when the lamp cord is used for
electrical work, there is an easy reference to know where you would be
putting the neutral side. To be compliant, appliances must be wired
correctly in order to meet safety standards. The neutral must always be
in part of the return path that eventually leads to ground.

The other way to know, is to verify the wire with an ohm meter, and then
mark the ends.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
om...
I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.
How
do you know which is + and -?

Thanks

Jiyang

Bruce

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in
om:

I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.
How do you know which is + and -?

Thanks

Jiyang

Usually one of the two wires will have some dsort of ribbing on it.

-Bruce
Jiyang Chen

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
om...
I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.

How
do you know which is + and -?

Thanks

Jiyang

Thanks for all the help. Is the ribbed side always +?

CJT

Jiyang Chen wrote:
"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
om...

I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.

How

do you know which is + and -?

Thanks

Jiyang

Thanks for all the help. Is the ribbed side always +?

As long as you're consistent it doesn't matter.

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:14:06 GMT, "Jiyang Chen" wrote:

Thanks for all the help. Is the ribbed side always +?

If you want it to be.
Jerry G.

As long as you are consistent, it will not matter. I personally use the
ribbed side as the positive.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
. ..

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
om...
I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.

How
do you know which is + and -?

Thanks

Jiyang

Thanks for all the help. Is the ribbed side always +?

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 02:22:11 -0400, "Jerry G."
wrote:

As long as you are consistent, it will not matter. I personally use the
ribbed side as the positive.

Wear it inside out. Why should she have all the fun? :-)