TonyP

Default Possible to add gain control to boostaroo?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I think this is the first time I've been criticized for posting test

results
that were unbelievably good!
;-)

No criticism at all, if true. I just wonder if your 16 ohm load was
disconnected without you knowing. (I originally thought it was just a simple
typo)
Given what we now know about the boosteroo circuit, I still can't see how
you can obtain those figures from that IC into a 16 (or 15) ohm load.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

"TonyP" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I think this is the first time I've been criticized for posting test
results that were unbelievably good!
;-)

No criticism at all, if true. I just wonder if your 16 ohm load was
disconnected without you knowing. (I originally thought it was just a
simple typo)

I could measure a slight drop in output voltage when I hooked the load up.
One thing about these digital audio measurements, you can see the difference
just about everything makes, even if stunningly trivial.

Given what we now know about the boosteroo circuit, I still can't see
how you can obtain those figures from that IC into a 16 (or 15) ohm
load.

I think you underestimate modern IC technology.

Besides the proof of the product is the sound quality, right? My Boostaroo
is hooked to the PC I'm typing on right now - giving the internal audio
interface a little extra oomph for driving Sony 7506s. Stevie Ray sounds
great!

I run my Boostaroo off a 5 volt power supply salvaged from an old cable
modem. I use it all the time for mixing multitrack recordings. Works for me!

TonyP

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Given what we now know about the boosteroo circuit, I still can't see
how you can obtain those figures from that IC into a 16 (or 15) ohm
load.

I think you underestimate modern IC technology.

I think you underestimate the data sheets, they will often tell you the
limits of that incredible performance.

Besides the proof of the product is the sound quality, right? My Boostaroo
is hooked to the PC I'm typing on right now - giving the internal audio
interface a little extra oomph for driving Sony 7506s. Stevie Ray sounds
great!

I'm sure it does, but I doubt you can tell whether its 0.0007% THD or 0.07%
just by listening.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

"TonyP" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Given what we now know about the boosteroo circuit, I still can't
see how you can obtain those figures from that IC into a 16 (or 15)
ohm load.

I think you underestimate modern IC technology.

I think you underestimate the data sheets, they will often tell you
the limits of that incredible performance.

They can, but I don't see that in this case.

Besides the proof of the product is the sound quality, right? My
Boostaroo is hooked to the PC I'm typing on right now - giving the
internal audio interface a little extra oomph for driving Sony
7506s. Stevie Ray sounds great!

I'm sure it does, but I doubt you can tell whether its 0.0007% THD or
0.07% just by listening.

Agreed. However the device spec sheet talks about 10% THD.

However boost that distortion by another order of magnitude above 0.07%, and
there are ways I can nail it in a DBT. 0.7% nonlinear distortion isn't
happening below clipping with the Boostaroo.

TonyP

"TonyP" wrote in message

I'm sure it does, but I doubt you can tell whether its 0.0007% THD or
0.07% just by listening.

Agreed. However the device spec sheet talks about 10% THD.

Yes, a quite common figure used to get the maximum power output, not infer
any performance level for distortion below full output.

However boost that distortion by another order of magnitude above 0.07%,

and
there are ways I can nail it in a DBT. 0.7% nonlinear distortion isn't
happening below clipping with the Boostaroo.

I never said it was. But there is a big difference, spec wise, between
0.0007% and 0.7%.
However if you say the figures are correct, then I'm not going to argue any
further, since I have yet to measure one.

TonyP.