nrgzrbunny nrgzrbunny is offline
Junior Member

Default Best entry level stereo setup

Hi all. I'm 14 and I was wondering what the best entry level stereo setup is (receiver, turntable, tape deck). I was thinking maybe a nakamichi sr-2A receiver, I have a nak cr-1a deck, and I can't decide whether to get the audio technica AT pl-120 turntable or to save my money for a pro-ject RPM 1.3. Will the pro-ject be worth the extra money? ( I can get the AT for probably $150 but the pro-ject is $500 and I can't find any used.) Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
GarageRat GarageRat is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgzrbunny View Post
Hi all. I'm 14 and I was wondering what the best entry level stereo setup is (receiver, turntable, tape deck). I was thinking maybe a nakamichi sr-2A receiver, I have a nak cr-1a deck, and I can't decide whether to get the audio technica AT pl-120 turntable or to save my money for a pro-ject RPM 1.3. Will the pro-ject be worth the extra money? ( I can get the AT for probably $150 but the pro-ject is $500 and I can't find any used.) Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Buy the best you can NEW without draining the bank for entry level. Don't spend your cash on repairs. You will want to upgrade soon enough as you expose yourself to the never ending journey to audiophile nervana. Nak parts are scarse so good luck. You mentioned no speakers and that is where the bulk should go. The rest is important too but if is sounds like crap coming out of them...well...

I bought a Sansui 9700, ADC 1600DD turntable, Nak TDeck, Sansui speakers when I was 16 and made payments. Sansui is still working and pretty nice, DC power receivers of those days is unequaled. ADC with Alt arm is still working nicely. Nak is long gone and speakers while working and in ok shape will never be released from the garage back into the house. Those were the days. If you take care of your equipment it will take care of you. I move my stuff around in systems all the time just for fun, pulling unused equipment out and breathing life back into them.

Sys 1 : Sansui G-9700 , Infinity Composition Overture 3's , Infinity PS12 sub, ADC 1600DD, Onkyo C-S5VL
Sys 2 : Sansui G-2200, Paradigm Singature S8v3's, Paradigm Millenia sub, 'Sota' Sapphire Turntable, Emotiva ERC-2
Sys 3 : Rotel RSX-1562, Klipsh Reference series 7.1 surround for HTheater.

Just to show an example that your tastes will change as things improve and the good old stuff can come along for the ride too as you find your deals on new better bigga.

Have fun kiddo!
juttboy juttboy is offline
Junior Member

falWPSzoSansui is still working and pretty nice, DC power receivers of those days is unequaled. ADC with Alt arm is still working nicely. Nak is long gone and speakers while working and in ok shape will
juttboy juttboy is offline

**** Payyara *****