PreSonus 1810 audio interface.

Old March 12th 19, 10:07 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

Default PreSonus 1810 audio interface.

On 10/03/2019 9:09 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >, Tobiah > wrote:
>> I'm going to go get the resistor today. Cursory search
>> says that metal film are the best for low noise applications.
>> Anyone agree?

> It doesn't matter. But considering that the 1% metal films are about two
> cents each, there's really no reason to keep anything else around.

Right, but it does matter. Old carbon resistors are pretty bad noise
wise, stability wise and long term reliability as well. Which is why no
one bothers with them any more.

Old March 12th 19, 02:33 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>On 10/03/2019 9:09 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> In article >, Tobiah > wrote:
>>> I'm going to go get the resistor today. Cursory search
>>> says that metal film are the best for low noise applications.
>>> Anyone agree?

>> It doesn't matter. But considering that the 1% metal films are about two
>> cents each, there's really no reason to keep anything else around.

>Right, but it does matter. Old carbon resistors are pretty bad noise
>wise, stability wise and long term reliability as well. Which is why no
>one bothers with them any more.

Carbon comp resistors are still occasionally a win because they can handle
huge short-term transients without arcing over or overheating. You still
see them used in high power pulse applications but they actually cost more
than modern metal films.

Carbon film resistors are noisier than metal films, but the difference between
a 1% metal film and a 5% carbon is less than a quarter cent, so why bother
even keeping carbon films in stock?
Old March 12th 19, 05:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Beacom[_4_]

On 2019-03-08 19:56:34 +0000, Tobiah said:

>> You would probably want something like a Cloudlifter in line with
>> whatever mic you choose

> Reading about it, the Cloudlifter if for low output dynamics or ribbons,
> and doesn't pass through phantom power. Sounds like it's not right
> for the NT1-A's.

Triton Audio makes a line of inline preamps like the Cloudlifter,
including one that passes phantom power. See:
https://www.tritonaudio.com/fethead-phantom.html

Old March 12th 19, 06:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

The Fethead phantom looks interesting. I'd need 2 @ $100.
Old March 13th 19, 10:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 13/03/2019 12:33 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter. But considering that the 1% metal films are about two
>>> cents each, there's really no reason to keep anything else around.

>> Right, but it does matter. Old carbon resistors are pretty bad noise
>> wise, stability wise and long term reliability as well. Which is why no
>> one bothers with them any more.

> Carbon comp resistors are still occasionally a win because they can handle
> huge short-term transients without arcing over or overheating. You still
> see them used in high power pulse applications but they actually cost more
> than modern metal films.

That's because they are now made in small quantities and hardly stocked
any more.

> Carbon film resistors are noisier than metal films, but the difference between
> a 1% metal film and a 5% carbon is less than a quarter cent, so why bother
> even keeping carbon films in stock?

Precisely. They are crap and you don't save anything any more. Hard to
find a carbon microphone now either. :-)

Old March 13th 19, 02:56 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>On 13/03/2019 12:33 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Carbon film resistors are noisier than metal films, but the difference between
>> a 1% metal film and a 5% carbon is less than a quarter cent, so why bother
>> even keeping carbon films in stock?

>Precisely. They are crap and you don't save anything any more. Hard to
>find a carbon microphone now either. :-)

For the folks making phone chargers in China, a quarter cent can be the
difference between profit and loss, though. My margins aren't that thin.