Asked and answered in the past....

Old February 21st 19, 03:07 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

Default Asked and answered in the past....

But I was never driven to buy. I have a pair of Rode NT1-A's,
and I'd like to match them with a transparent, quiet, dual-channel
preamp. I aim to record soft sounds at high gain. Not so much
a wasp tapping on a window, but say, running a brush through long
hair, or maybe the sound of wine being poured into a glass.

I have an USB2 audio interface by a middle tier pro-sumer maker,
and I'm fairly surprised by the quality I got for money I could
shell without wincing too hard. I'd like to know though, if I
could do a little better in the higher gain, lower noise, totally
transparent area.

I probably wouldn't go as high as $1000, but I'd probably swallow
more than $500.

Thanks!

Tobiah

Old February 21st 19, 07:41 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Tobiah wrote:

> But I was never driven to buy. I have a pair of Rode NT1-A's,
> and I'd like to match them with a transparent, quiet, dual-channel
> preamp. I aim to record soft sounds at high gain. Not so much
> a wasp tapping on a window, but say, running a brush through long
> hair, or maybe the sound of wine being poured into a glass.

** The Rode NT-1As are a good choice, 5dBA equivalent SPL means they are a very quiet mic. The output level is quite high too, 25mV for a SPL of 94dB.

Because condenser mics already have a low noise pre-amp built inside them, the noise performance of the following pre amp is rarely of much importance - IOW noise from the mic typically swamps the input noise from the external pre-amp.

This will be the case with the Rode mics, unless you choice of pre-amp is really poor.

> I have an USB2 audio interface by a middle tier pro-sumer maker,
> and I'm fairly surprised by the quality I got for money I could
> shell without wincing too hard. I'd like to know though, if I
> could do a little better in the higher gain, lower noise, totally
> transparent area.

** Tell us what you have first.

Provide a link to the makers specs while you are at it.

Don't be a tedious, secretive ******.

..... Phil
Old February 21st 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

On 2/20/19 10:41 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> Tobiah wrote:
>

>> But I was never driven to buy. I have a pair of Rode NT1-A's,
>> and I'd like to match them with a transparent, quiet, dual-channel
>> preamp. I aim to record soft sounds at high gain. Not so much
>> a wasp tapping on a window, but say, running a brush through long
>> hair, or maybe the sound of wine being poured into a glass.
>>

> ** The Rode NT-1As are a good choice, 5dBA equivalent SPL means they are a very quiet mic. The output level is quite high too, 25mV for a SPL of 94dB.
>
> Because condenser mics already have a low noise pre-amp built inside them, the noise performance of the following pre amp is rarely of much importance - IOW noise from the mic typically swamps the input noise from the external pre-amp.
>
> This will be the case with the Rode mics, unless you choice of pre-amp is really poor.
>

>> I have an USB2 audio interface by a middle tier pro-sumer maker,
>> and I'm fairly surprised by the quality I got for money I could
>> shell without wincing too hard. I'd like to know though, if I
>> could do a little better in the higher gain, lower noise, totally
>> transparent area.
>>

> ** Tell us what you have first.
>
> Provide a link to the makers specs while you are at it.
>
> Don't be a tedious, secretive ******.

Nevermind.