Default Fixing the Leslie Amp

""Lord Valve"
The plate is recycled from the Sovtek 6550WE.

Of course, the plate is the *least* important part of a tube -
anything that can withstand 1100 Kelvin without warping
will work just fine, including a tunafish can. The stuff
*inside* the plate of the new Reflektor-produciton
Tung-Sol 6550 is *excellent*, however. This is a
*good* tube, with Gm in the correct range, and it
doesn't suffer from bias drift like the SED 6550C
all you audiophools seem to be so in love with. The
triple getter system is good, too, and will add considerable
service lifetime.

Botom line: Don't knock it until you've tried it. I have,
and it's excellent - at least, in musical instrument
amplification. Especially Leslies.

Lord Valve

The only fix for the Leslie amp is throwing the son of a bitch out and
putting something else in or wiring up a input connector to use an
external amp. Unlike the lovely Allen Organ amp from their Gyro cabs,
the Leslie amp is a disaster. While you're at it ****can the piece of
**** phenolic treble horn driver.

Lord Valve

""Lord Valve"
The plate is recycled from the Sovtek 6550WE.

Of course, the plate is the *least* important part of a tube -
anything that can withstand 1100 Kelvin without warping
will work just fine, including a tunafish can. The stuff
*inside* the plate of the new Reflektor-produciton
Tung-Sol 6550 is *excellent*, however. This is a
*good* tube, with Gm in the correct range, and it
doesn't suffer from bias drift like the SED 6550C
all you audiophools seem to be so in love with. The
triple getter system is good, too, and will add considerable
service lifetime.

Bottom line: Don't knock it until you've tried it. I have,
and it's excellent - at least, in musical instrument
amplification. Especially Leslies.

Lord Valve

The only fix for the Leslie amp is throwing the son of a bitch out and
putting something else in or wiring up a input connector to use an
external amp.

Depends on what kind of sound you're looking for.

Would you like a list of organists who wouldn't ******
on an Allen cab if it was on fire? Let's start with
Jimmy Smith, Joey DeFrancesco, Jimmy McGriff,
Jack MacDuff, Shirley Scott, Wild Bill Davis, Richard
"Groove" Holmes, CT (from Tower of Power), Charles
Earland, Kofi Burbridge, Greg Allman...gonna be a pretty
long list, I think. I'm on it, too. Hell, you can go back to
Ethel Smith and Fats Waller...Hammond/Leslie players
all. Did I mention Ray Charles and James Brown?
Damn, might as well throw in Paul Shaffer while I'm
at it. Oh, and, uh...Chevy Chase? Yup. The venerable
40W Leslie amp is prized for its signature grind when
overdriven. When linear operation is not the goal,
all bets are off.

Unlike the lovely Allen Organ amp from their Gyro cabs,
the Leslie amp is a disaster. While you're at it ****can the piece of
**** phenolic treble horn driver.

Well, see...hmmm...I think I'm dealin' with a living room organist, for
some reason...

The phenolic diaphragm in the V21/V22 Jensen drivers is
just what needs to be there when the cabinet is used
with a Hammond. The signature Hammond "click"
which comes from the noise of nine contacts hitting
nine bussbars at slightly different times becomes
unbearably obtrusive when an extended frequency-response
"hi-fi" driver is installed in a Leslie. In fact, I usually have
to remove four or five of them a year (JBL, Altec, Emilar,
etc.) from Leslies that were "improved" by "experts"
who've never worked a venue larger than their rec-room;
seems after the "improvement" their Hammonds started
sounding like ass. Aluminum and titanium make nice,
wide-range horn driver diaphragms, it's true, but when you
need a roll-off around 7K or so to keep keyclick under
control, phenolic is the ticket.

But you knew that...right?

Sure ya did.

Lord Valve
Jazz Organist/Hammond-Leslie tech (40+ years)

Jon Yaeger

Is Pat Metheny one of your clients?

Lord Valve

Jon Yaeger wrote:

Is Pat Metheny one of your clients?

Not so far. ;-)

LV

Bob

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:50:20 GMT, Lord Valve wrote:

. The signature Hammond "click"
which comes from the noise of nine contacts hitting
nine bussbars at slightly different times becomes

Do they run the audio thru there or a keying voltage?

unbearably obtrusive when an extended frequency-response
"hi-fi" driver is installed in a Leslie.

Could you just roll off the responce with a coil or cap?

Lord Valve wrote:

(snip)

Bottom line: Don't knock it until you've tried it. I have,
and it's excellent - at least, in musical instrument
amplification. Especially Leslies.

Lord Valve

The only fix for the Leslie amp is throwing the son of a bitch out

and
putting something else in or wiring up a input connector to use an
external amp.

Depends on what kind of sound you're looking for.

Would you like a list of organists who wouldn't ******
on an Allen cab if it was on fire? Let's start with
Jimmy Smith,

Whose ass the sun shines out of...

Joey DeFrancesco, Jimmy McGriff,
Jack MacDuff, Shirley Scott, Wild Bill Davis, Richard
"Groove" Holmes, CT (from Tower of Power), Charles
Earland, Kofi Burbridge, Greg Allman

Next time ya see Gregg, ask him how his pal Scooter Herring is doing
these days,will ya?

....gonna be a pretty
long list, I think. I'm on it, too. Hell, you can go back to
Ethel Smith and Fats Waller...Hammond/Leslie players
all. Did I mention Ray Charles and James Brown?
Damn, might as well throw in Paul Shaffer while I'm
at it. Oh, and, uh...Chevy Chase? Yup. The venerable
40W Leslie amp is prized for its signature grind when
overdriven. When linear operation is not the goal,
all bets are off.

That signature grind is an illegible scrawl. Almost any Vox, Marshall
or Fender guitar amp will do as nicely. Just put a 1/4", or better a
Speakon on a little plate on the side. Want an internal amp, I'd build
something from scratch and put the original Leslie amp aside for
collectibility.

Unlike the lovely Allen Organ amp from their Gyro cabs,
the Leslie amp is a disaster. While you're at it ****can the piece

of
**** phenolic treble horn driver.

Well, see...hmmm...I think I'm dealin' with a living room organist,

for
some reason...

Well, yeah, I have a modded M3 and a Farfisa and a Rhodes in my rumpus
room. Got me there. None of 'em worked when I dragged their dead
worthless carcasses home, they all do now. If I was gigging I'd buy a
new one.

But anyway, the Leslie is a better rotary cab than the Allen
soundwise, which is why Allens get parted out. The amp is a great hi-fi
amp and one of the only ones using 6550s that IMO sounds really good.
There is a motor that is big enough for an industrial dryer, works
great on drill presses or small lathes. And the slip ring assembly is
"the ****" for building a small wind generator. Also you have three
"bass" and three "treble" drivers to put on eBay. I don't regret
parting them out, but they were crafted better than anything that came
out of the Leslie plant. Leslies are not _that_ well built.

The phenolic diaphragm in the V21/V22 Jensen drivers is
just what needs to be there when the cabinet is used
with a Hammond. The signature Hammond "click"
which comes from the noise of nine contacts hitting
nine bussbars at slightly different times becomes
unbearably obtrusive when an extended frequency-response
"hi-fi" driver is installed in a Leslie. In fact, I usually have
to remove four or five of them a year (JBL, Altec, Emilar,
etc.) from Leslies that were "improved" by "experts"
who've never worked a venue larger than their rec-room;
seems after the "improvement" their Hammonds started
sounding like ass. Aluminum and titanium make nice,
wide-range horn driver diaphragms, it's true, but when you
need a roll-off around 7K or so to keep keyclick under
control, phenolic is the ticket.

But you knew that...right?

Sure ya did.

If you put a lowpass rolloff in there somewhere you're better off,
because a simple RC circuit with a pot will let you dial in the level
of clickiness you want, and not just whatever that particular phenolic
diaphragm wants to give. You can set it where you like. And when using
the Leslie with other instruments like you should be to justify its
size, bulk, cost and pain-in-the-ass factor you will enjoy the benefits
of treble that doesn't sound like it was coming from a rubber
prosthetic pussy.

Lord Valve

Bob wrote:

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:50:20 GMT, Lord Valve wrote:

. The signature Hammond "click"
which comes from the noise of nine contacts hitting
nine bussbars at slightly different times becomes

Do they run the audio thru there or a keying voltage?

Audio.

Hammond keys make a circuit between the tone generators
and the preamp.

unbearably obtrusive when an extended frequency-response
"hi-fi" driver is installed in a Leslie.

Could you just roll off the responce with a coil or cap?

Yes, but it doesn't sound "right."

LV

Lord Valve

Lord Valve wrote:

(snip)

[...]

A legion of pro players disagree.

Enjoy jamming in your rec-room, son.

Lord Valve
Pro

Lord Valve wrote:
wrote:

Lord Valve wrote:

(snip)

A legion of pro players disagree.

Enjoy jamming in your rec-room, son.

Lord Valve
Pro

Many so-called "pros" don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
25+ years of dealing with them has proven that to me. Many musicians,
good musicians, hear with their eyes and will never admit something is
right when their misguided ideas tell them "it must not be" or vice
versa. They are worse than audiophiles in that respect. I know guitar
players, good guitar players, that believe pre-CBS Strats really are
magic and that new ones just couldn't be as good, and thought that
despite holding one in their hands and saying "they don't make them
like this anymore" completely oblivious to the fact they were in fact
holding and picking a parts guitar with a definned Jap neck and a
Warmoth body. I've seen it. I've seen guys go on over vintage Marshall
cabs with "real Greenbacks" while hearing a Marshall cab alright-loaded
with Peavey replaceable-magnet jobs.

I like the sound of the Leslie cab better with the good compression
driver better personally. Some people might prefer the ****ed-up sound
of phenolic and that's their right but they should first hear a hi-fi
driver and some proper "tone shaping" (EQ) and decide before they are
told which is which, or else admit they are going by rumor and
innuendo.

If you're such a pro, who is paying your hourly to post on Usenet??

Yeah, sure.....

As if stockness were a Leslie virtue in the first place:

"These and other construction details can be critical to the

recording engineer because Leslie owners tend to modify their cabinets
in various ways. Organ players who kick bass, for example, often
don't want chorus or tremolo on the low notes, so they might disable
the motor that turns the wooden drum. Other players, for whatever
reason, sometimes disable the top motor. Obviously, in either case, the
recording engineer who is unaware of the modification is at a
disadvantage. If the top motor is disabled, for example, the engineer
needs to manually align the sound-producing horn with the mic.

Other Leslie mods include mechanically linking the top and bottom
rotors so that they turn at the same speed (this gives a more dramatic
Leslie sound); switching out the power amp for a more powerful one or
disabling it and using an external combo preamp; using different treble
and bass drivers (typically because the stock ones were blown);
installing a different crossover; or even bi-amping the treble and bass
drivers. Although none of these modifications should influence the
recording as much as disabling a motor, any will alter the sound and
therefore may also affect how you record the Leslie.

You may encounter numerous other original Leslie models, including the
older models 45, 47, and 22 (which are identical to the 145, 147, and
122 except that they have single-speed rather than dual-speed rotors).
Other original Leslie models, such as the 51, do not contain amplifiers
and must therefore be connected to an external amp. In addition, since
CBS bought the Leslie company in 1965, several new models have been
produced, including the 122A, 122XB, and 147A, as well as larger models
made for multichannel organs. It is important when recording new or
unusual Leslies to survey the construction carefully in case the unit
employs a design change (a side-firing woofer, for example) that would
affect sound production.

Tight Ship
Like a neglected drum set that squeaks and rattles each time it is
struck, a rickety old Leslie can be a Pandora's box of extraneous
noise. Therefore, in addition to checking for any modifications,
another important step is to listen carefully to the cabinet while the
musician plays at full recording volume. (If the instrument is an
organ, make sure the player uses the same drawbar settings that will be
used during recording.) If you hear creaking, buzzing, or other
unwanted noise-I specify "unwanted" because some of the
resonances and distortions produced by a Leslie cabinet may be
desirable-have the musician play chromatic scales slowly from lowest
note to highest so you can pinpoint the note or notes that set off the
noise. If you don't hear the offending sound on single notes, try
chords.

After determining which note or group of notes cause the noise, locate
where the unwanted sound is coming from. The last Leslie I recorded had
an obnoxious sympathetic buzz that I traced to some loose wood plies on
the bottom-most panel. After discovering that I could stop the buzz
with my hand, I put a piece of foam rubber on the spot and weighted it
down with a 10-pound dumbbell. That didn't completely stop the buzz,
but it did damp it sufficiently for the recording.

Other common sources of noise are the Leslie's motors, rotors, belts,
and pulleys-any parts that move, basically. Hopefully, the player
maintained those mechanical parts well. If not, you need to track down
the noises and squelch them or move the microphones back from the
source to minimize pickup of the unwanted sound.

Lord Valve

Lord Valve wrote:
wrote:

Lord Valve wrote:

(snip)

A legion of pro players disagree.

Enjoy jamming in your rec-room, son.

Lord Valve
Pro

Many so-called "pros" don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

YOU are not an organist.

YOU have never worked a venue larger than your den.

25+ years of dealing with them has proven that to me. Many musicians,
good musicians, hear with their eyes and will never admit something is
right when their misguided ideas tell them "it must not be" or vice
versa. They are worse than audiophiles in that respect. I know guitar
players, good guitar players, that believe pre-CBS Strats really are
magic and that new ones just couldn't be as good, and thought that
despite holding one in their hands and saying "they don't make them
like this anymore" completely oblivious to the fact they were in fact
holding and picking a parts guitar with a definned Jap neck and a
Warmoth body. I've seen it. I've seen guys go on over vintage Marshall
cabs with "real Greenbacks" while hearing a Marshall cab alright-loaded
with Peavey replaceable-magnet jobs.

Has nothing to do with organists.

*Every* top pro plays Leslies.

I like the sound of the Leslie cab better with the good compression
driver better personally.

Fine - like it.

Some people might prefer the ****ed-up sound
of phenolic and that's their right but they should first hear a hi-fi
driver and some proper "tone shaping" (EQ) and decide before they are
told which is which, or else admit they are going by rumor and
innuendo.

Metal diaphragm drivers sound like ass in a Leslie.

Don Leslie chose the phenolic because it sounded best.
I know this because *he told me so when I asked him
about it.*

If you're such a pro, who is paying your hourly to post on Usenet??

See my sig, asswipe - YOU figure it out.

Yeah, sure.....

You sound just like every other hobby musician I've ever dealt with.
Lord Valve
Expert

VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve
I specialize in top quality HAND SELECTED NOS and
current-production vacuum tubes for guitar and
bass amps. Good prices, fast service.
Authorized dealer for QSC amps, Sovtek/Electro-Harmonix,
Behringer, Hammond-Suzuki, Leslie, Rolls, many more!

- Partial Client List -
* Derek Trucks (Allman Brothers Band/Derek Trucks Band) *
* Meatloaf * Catherine Wheel * Yo La Tengo * Let's Go Bowling *
* Kofi Burbridge (DTB) * Tod Smallie (DTB) * Susan Tedeschi *
* Roy Pritts (former head, Audio Engineering Society) *
* Rob Hyckys (guitarist for Commander Cody) * Waky Amps *
* Jamie McLean (guitarist for the Dirty Dozen Brass Band) *
* Coco Montoya * Bill McKay * John Denver * Dick Dale *
* Fleetwood Mac * Tyrin Benoit * Eugene Fodor * Dale Bruning *
* Komet Amplification * Dr. Z * Maven Peal * Blockhead Amps *
* Jim Kelley * Balls Amplification * Roccaforte Amplifiers *
* Gerhart Amplification * Aiken Amplification * The Right Half of AGA *
* Lots More *

NBS Electronics, 230 South Broadway, Denver, CO 80209-1510
Phone orders/tech support after 1:30 PM Denver time at 303-778-1156

- Our 23rd Year -

VISA - MASTERCARD - PAYPAL - DISCOVER

"It ain't braggin', if ya can do it." - Dizzy Dean

Lard, you are a douche bag. First, I HAVE played bigger venues than my
den-I played keys and bass with rock and country bands as well as
worked in a music store repair department for years. Second, an
"organist" is a classical, liturgical ('church') theatre or
circus/carny performer playing either a real organ-an instrument with
pipes and air blowing through them-or a serious emulation thereof
(Johannus and Allen, sure, Hammond never). Your beloved Jimmy Smith,
who was a bigger prick than you are, was a "jazz organist", in the
sense that "jazz organ" is to "organ" as "subway art" is to "art".

Now and to the point, it's a fact that a lot of pro musicians have a
'tone' that in my opinion "sounds like ass". So their opinion doesn't
necessarily carry a huge amount of weight with me, nor that of some of
the techs/modifiers/tonegurus they employ. My aunt plays church organ
beautifully and some years ago asked my opinion on getting a home
setup, then ignored everything I said and blew an unconscionable amount
of my late uncle's money on a piece of **** Lowery (I almost typed
'Lycoming' there it so naturally follows 'piece of ****', I digress).
I'd bet even odds the suave, middle-aged salesman gave her a good
rogering like Uncle hadn't for twenty years before his death in with
the deal, but that's her business, not mine. She's a lovely old gal but
she doesn't know **** about electronics, acoustics, timbre, or quality
woodwork.

"All the pros" meaning "all the pros you listen to and like", I
guarantee there are paid working electronic organists (is Bob Ralston
still gigging?) that are using something besides Leslies, and to the
point, as the previous article I quoted stated, finding a STOCK Leslie
is less common than not. Players have been modding the **** out of them
for decades.

So Lard you just don't impress me. Next, please...

Lord Valve

Lard, you are a douche bag.

Now, *there's* a cogent, reasonable technical argument.

You are an amateur, a musical hobbyist. It's evident
in your attitude.

First, I HAVE played bigger venues than my
den-I played keys and bass with rock and country bands as well as
worked in a music store repair department for years.

Holy **** - a music store.

Well, I guess my ass is kicked.

Second, an
"organist" is a classical, liturgical ('church') theatre or
circus/carny performer playing either a real organ-an instrument with
pipes and air blowing through them-or a serious emulation thereof
(Johannus and Allen, sure, Hammond never).

ROFLMBFAO!

Your beloved Jimmy Smith,
who was a bigger prick than you are, was a "jazz organist", in the
sense that "jazz organ" is to "organ" as "subway art" is to "art".

Oh, no - it's Ye Olde Classical Music Snob Routine!

You might want to talk to Wynton Marsalis about that, junior.
One does not preclude (nor surpass) the other. (I'm sure
you'll have trouble with that, but I have my suspicions that
if someone put a chart in front of you at a jam session,
you'd go completely silent. Right?)

Now and to the point, it's a fact that a lot of pro musicians have a
'tone' that in my opinion "sounds like ass". So their opinion doesn't
necessarily carry a huge amount of weight with me, nor that of some of
the techs/modifiers/tonegurus they employ.

Which is why you are where you are, and why you'll stay there.

My aunt plays church organ beautifully

Damn, now *there's* a solid credential.

and some years ago asked my opinion on getting a home
setup, then ignored everything I said and blew an unconscionable amount
of my late uncle's money on a piece of **** Lowery (I almost typed
'Lycoming' there it so naturally follows 'piece of ****', I digress).
I'd bet even odds the suave, middle-aged salesman gave her a good
rogering like Uncle hadn't for twenty years before his death in with
the deal, but that's her business, not mine. She's a lovely old gal but
she doesn't know **** about electronics, acoustics, timbre, or quality
woodwork.

Runs in the family, I see.

Woodwork? ROFLMBFAO! Hey - do you think Stevie
Wonder cares about woodwork? Get back to me on
that one, won't you?

"All the pros" meaning "all the pros you listen to and like", I
guarantee there are paid working electronic organists

Hey - I thought electronic stuff didn't qualify for the term "organ."

Ooops, pardon me - an "organ" is a "serious emulation"
of some contraption with pipes and bellows and fans and
pumps and whatnot. In fact, it appears that an "organ" is
whatever *you* say it is - seein' as how you play country-
western and work in a music store and all. Damn, 'scuse me.

(is Bob Ralston
still gigging?) that are using something besides Leslies,

In ballparks, I'm sure.

and to the
point, as the previous article I quoted stated, finding a STOCK Leslie
is less common than not.

No, it isn't.

And I'm in the business of modding them, and I'd know.
The vast majority of them are in homes and churches,
stock as the day they were manufactured.

Players have been modding the **** out of them
for decades.

So Lard you just don't impress me. Next, please...

Sparky, I'm not trying to impress you. I don't give a dead rat's ass if
you like me or not.

A "serious emulation thereof" is pure flatulence.
In fact, the AGO sued Hammond for calling his
electronic instrument an organ, back in the thirties.
Hammond won. You can spin your bull**** however
you'd like. It's abundantly clear that you're not
a jazz musician, and certainly not of pro caliber
at whatever lame **** it is that you do manage to
stuble through. The Hammond is inextricably woven
into the fabric of American music, from gospel to
R&B to jazz and blues to old radio and TV,
and the Leslie went right along with it.

Any time you're ready, son, you can take the stage
with yours truly and we'll see who has the chop and
who is the poser.

Lord Valve
Organist

Lord Valve wrote:
wrote:

Lard, you are a douche bag.

Now, *there's* a cogent, reasonable technical argument.

I concede it's kind of low rent. However, you didn't seem inclined to
a serious technical discussion. Still I was using poor social skills.

You are an amateur, a musical hobbyist. It's evident
in your attitude.

I'm a former pro who does something different now because I got tired
of dealing with the people I had to deal with. It's a hobby now. You
say "hobbyist" like it's a kind of lowlife.

[...]

Wynton Marsalis is the douchebag of all douchebags! He's worse than
everyone else put together! He's a technically pretty good trumpet
player that thinks he's also a lot of other things he in no way is.

My point is that a Hammond organist is a keyboardist, same as if he
played Roland, Korg, rhodes, Farfisa, whatever. The notes are the same,
but "organist" implies someone that does something different, not
better or worse, just as "pianist" implies someone who has a certain
something-Jerry Lee Lewis plays piano exclusively, but I wouldn't call
him a pianist. Van Cliburn is a pianist, Oscar Peterson is a pianist.
Not Jerry Lee, not Little Richard. I love those guys but they are piano
players like Elvis and Johnny Cash were guitar players,i.e. in a
rudimentary sense. Ray Manzarek, ? (the 96 Tears guy), Jimmy Destri
(who I think is an absolute prince, tried to teach me to shoot
pool,with total lack of success...)are all great guys but they aren't
_organists_.

Now and to the point, it's a fact that a lot of pro musicians have

'tone' that in my opinion "sounds like ass". So their opinion

doesn't
necessarily carry a huge amount of weight with me, nor that of some

of
the techs/modifiers/tonegurus they employ.

Which is why you are where you are, and why you'll stay there.

Here is okay. I'm happy here.

[...]

What?? Ballpark organists aren't organists?? Or not pros??? And where
does that leave Denny McLain?

and to the
point, as the previous article I quoted stated, finding a STOCK

Leslie
is less common than not.

No, it isn't.

And I'm in the business of modding them, and I'd know.
The vast majority of them are in homes and churches,
stock as the day they were manufactured.

Most of those in homes were bought by people that are dead now and the
kids sell them. The home organ generation is the generation that flew
B-24s over Ploiesti, and has a tendency to be dead, senile, or
perfectly willing to trade the A-100 in on a Lowery because the
salesman in the mall said the old Hammonds can't be fixed any more.

Players have been modding the **** out of them
for decades.

So Lard you just don't impress me. Next, please...

Sparky, I'm not trying to impress you. I don't give a dead rat's ass

if
you like me or not.

A "serious emulation thereof" is pure flatulence.
In fact, the AGO sued Hammond for calling his
electronic instrument an organ, back in the thirties.
Hammond won. You can spin your bull**** however
you'd like. It's abundantly clear that you're not
a jazz musician,

No. Neither are 80% of the "jazz musicians" out there, I can't stand
smooth jazz, fusion, and most hard bop anyway. YMMV. I never said I was
a jazz musician.

and certainly not of pro caliber
at whatever lame **** it is that you do manage to
stuble through. The Hammond is inextricably woven
into the fabric of American music, from gospel to
R&B to jazz and blues to old radio and TV,
and the Leslie went right along with it.

Laurens Hammond fought it tooth and ****in' nail. And Don Leslie-who I
also met, probably at a NAMM show like you probably did, lovely guy,
but he thought _nothing_ but an organ sounded good through a Leslie,
and he thought tubes were bull**** and everyone should go over to _his_
solid state amp. He was into theater organs and pipes really.

I grew up having to listen to all that old gospel radio **** with
cheesy Hammond on it to provide emphasis. Most of the time there WAS NO
Leslie on it, they had the Hammond tone cab or a homemade DI and went
into the board. I used to know people that worked for those outfits.

Heresy and ignorance are two different things. I may be a heretic, but
I know my ****. I guess I'll go to a special place down there, but, oh
well.

Lord Valve wrote:
"but I have my suspicions that if someone put a chart
in front of you at a jam session, you'd go completely
silent. Right?"

Sightreading was never my forte, but what the ****, I'd go for it.
Usually I avoid playing with jazzbos. They are just not a lot of fun to
jam with.

Mike Tschel.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lord Valve wrote:
"but I have my suspicions that if someone put a chart
in front of you at a jam session, you'd go completely
silent. Right?"

Sightreading was never my forte, but what the ****, I'd go for it.

Charts, by their very nature, are designed for folks that can't sight read
'legit' music well. (Hell, it's a chart, not the actual notes - More or
less.) If ya' can't read or follow a chart - you need some woodshedding.
But, you say you'd give it a shot - so that's cool. Charts are pretty easy
to follow - except you need to know what it's 'suggesting'.

Usually I avoid playing with jazzbos. They are just not a lot of fun to
jam with.

I find that to be untrue. I, IV, V guys are the least fun. Unless they can
bring something to the table. That is...Muddy Waters playing I, IV, V is
always fun - however, I sort of understand your point about Jazz. It's not
for everyone. Personally, I love jamming Hammond Jazz - although I don't
kick pedals. (Wish I did.)

Mike T

I like Jazz, but I like watching flat track motorcycle racing and
formation aerobatics too, I can't do those either. The "charts" I am
familiar with are either fakebook pages, Nashville numbered outlines
or else full arrangements intended for playing "on the paper". Let's be
honest,. I guarantee Tommy Tedesco or Carol Kaye couldn't have built or
fixed their guitars, basses or amps. I couldn't do a credible job of
fixing a Fender curved rosewood board neck with a busted truss rod so
that no one could tell it was fixed, but I can do 95% of what music
stores do and I try to get others to learn and do their own work
because 1)it's fun, 2) it gives musicians a sense of independence, and
3) to be honest, I saw a lot of people get ****ed during my music store
tenure. If you DIY and you wreck it, fine, but you should have had an
idea of what you were doing before. That's why scratchbuilding projects
and putting kit guitars together is so great.

Lord Valve is implying because I am not a great musician, therefore I
must be full of ****. If LV is such a _musical_ talent why don't I
hear him on the radio? Of course it would have to be oldies radio...but
I'm not that young either,so I'll "let it be".

Mike Tschel.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Fair enough. In fact, my only point was charts / fakebooks exist for people
that have a *lot* of musical chops in order to do the song justice. I've
heard many folks using 'charts' just as a simple 'roadmap' to follow along
since they've never heard the song - and have no time or inclination to
learn it properly. I'm not saying you're one of these people.

As this thread was about Leslie repair - I should have started a new
thread - called 'charts' or something. BTW, I can read follow any 'lead
sheet / chart' put in front of me - that doesn't make me a good musician
either. I know how Nashville Number charts work, but can't follow them worth
a damn. Nor could I re-fret a Rosewood Strat. Whatever minimal knowledge I
have, just like everybody, they're directly in proportion with my weaknesses
or lack of knowledge in other areas. No-one can do everything on a
professional level. We all have our own gifts and strengths.

Valve can be brusk, but he knows his Toobs. In fact, his self-styled "Lord"
moniker is probably well deserved - I don't know how well he plays but
that's not my concern either. You seem like a sensible and intelligent guy
so don't take the Usenet too seriously - life's too short.

Back to lurk mode
Mike

Inventor of Leslie speaker dies playon Pro Audio 36 September 14th 04 04:43 AM
Inventor of Leslie speaker dies playon Pro Audio 0 September 8th 04 08:33 PM
Need shipping advice for leslie speaker going across country Twist Turner Pro Audio 9 June 11th 04 01:49 AM
Leslie biamp Trevor Vacuum Tubes 6 February 15th 04 08:24 AM
Leslie biamp Trevor Tech 0 February 13th 04 08:11 PM