Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Apex 460 Shock Mount

Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one that came with it is
total crap. It will not hold the mic in proper alignment.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 4/20/2010 8:18 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one that came with it is
total crap. It will not hold the mic in proper alignment.

The Rycote will, but it probably costs about as much as the microphone,
unless there's an Apex that makes expensive mics.

http://www.rycote.com/products/famil...-studio-mount/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one that came with it is
total crap. It will not hold the mic in proper alignment.

I think the mount for the U87 will fit. Also I bet Sabra-Som makes something
cheap that is half-decent.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/20/2010 9:29 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one that came with it is
total crap. It will not hold the mic in proper alignment.

I think the mount for the U87 will fit. Also I bet Sabra-Som makes something
cheap that is half-decent.
--scott

I have a Sabra-Som, and I don't like it very much. The Rycote that Mike
suggested is an option, but maybe there are some others worth considering. I've
seen discussions about cheaper mounts for U87s, so there might be an option there.

Upon further investigation, I'm going to take the Apex one apart and find out
why it can't be tightened. The thumbscrew will not tighten the cage. It's almost
as if the screw is bottoming out. Maybe a washer or something can help.

For what it's worth, the 460 is a fantastic mic for the money. Maybe I lucked up
and got a good one.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
| On 4/20/2010 9:29 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
| mcp6453 wrote:
| Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one that came with
it is
| total crap. It will not hold the mic in proper alignment.
|
| I think the mount for the U87 will fit. Also I bet Sabra-Som makes
something
| cheap that is half-decent.
| --scott
|
| I have a Sabra-Som, and I don't like it very much. The Rycote that Mike
| suggested is an option, but maybe there are some others worth considering.
I've
| seen discussions about cheaper mounts for U87s, so there might be an
option there.

| Upon further investigation, I'm going to take the Apex one apart and find
out
| why it can't be tightened. The thumbscrew will not tighten the cage. It's
almost
| as if the screw is bottoming out. Maybe a washer or something can help.
|
| For what it's worth, the 460 is a fantastic mic for the money. Maybe I
lucked up
| and got a good one.

I have cage-type shock mount from Marshall that acts the same way. If you
find a solution let us all know.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message

Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one
that came with it is total crap. It will not hold the mic
in proper alignment.

Generic mic shock mounts are easy to find for under $30.

I've bought a few from eBay, but many large pro audio dealers have them as
well.

Usually they come in one of two sizes - one for handheld mics, and one for
side-address mics.

Sometimes they are specified as being for a certain mic - pick a mic that is
about the same diameter as the one you have.

If a mic is a little too small for the shock mount, shim it out with a few
layers of gaffer's tape or heavy electrical tape.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

I use a $25 On Stage shockmount with my fifty dollar MCA SP1's. They
work okay, for some value of okay. Further rolling-over the little hooks
that hold the elastics eliminated an irritant.

Here are some to consider at a variety of $'s:

http://www.pssl.com/Search?q=shock+mount&x=0&y=0&by=s

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Steve King wrote:

"mcp6453" wrote in message
| On 4/20/2010 9:29 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
| mcp6453 wrote:
| Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one that came with
it is
| total crap. It will not hold the mic in proper alignment.
|
| I think the mount for the U87 will fit. Also I bet Sabra-Som makes
something
| cheap that is half-decent.
| --scott
|
| I have a Sabra-Som, and I don't like it very much. The Rycote that Mike
| suggested is an option, but maybe there are some others worth considering.
I've
| seen discussions about cheaper mounts for U87s, so there might be an
option there.

| Upon further investigation, I'm going to take the Apex one apart and find
out
| why it can't be tightened. The thumbscrew will not tighten the cage. It's
almost
| as if the screw is bottoming out. Maybe a washer or something can help.
|
| For what it's worth, the 460 is a fantastic mic for the money. Maybe I
lucked up
| and got a good one.

I have cage-type shock mount from Marshall that acts the same way. If you
find a solution let us all know.

Steve King

Do y'all mean that the mount cannot be made to clasp the body tiughtly,
or that the stand-mount joint cannot be secured. Or some other "hunh?"?

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
http://hankalrich.com/
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hsadharma
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/21/2010 1:57 PM, hank alrich wrote:

Do y'all mean that the mount cannot be made to clasp the body tiughtly,
or that the stand-mount joint cannot be secured. Or some other "hunh?"?

The stand mount joint can't be secured.

It appears that http://www.aamicrophones.com may have one that is better. They
have a mic that uses the identical case as the Apex 460.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcp6453" wrote in message

On 4/21/2010 1:57 PM, hank alrich wrote:

Do y'all mean that the mount cannot be made to clasp the
body tiughtly, or that the stand-mount joint cannot be
secured. Or some other "hunh?"?

The stand mount joint can't be secured.

I have a couple of mic shock mounts that I modified with parts from the
hardware store to use a wing nut and star lock washers for securing the
stand mount joint.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" wrote in message
| Steve King wrote:
|
| "mcp6453" wrote in message
| | On 4/20/2010 9:29 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
| | mcp6453 wrote:
| | Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one that came
with
| it is
| | total crap. It will not hold the mic in proper alignment.
| |
| | I think the mount for the U87 will fit. Also I bet Sabra-Som makes
| something
| | cheap that is half-decent.
| | --scott
| |
| | I have a Sabra-Som, and I don't like it very much. The Rycote that
Mike
| | suggested is an option, but maybe there are some others worth
considering.
| I've
| | seen discussions about cheaper mounts for U87s, so there might be an
| option there.
| |
| | Upon further investigation, I'm going to take the Apex one apart and
find
| out
| | why it can't be tightened. The thumbscrew will not tighten the cage.
It's
| almost
| | as if the screw is bottoming out. Maybe a washer or something can
help.
| |
| | For what it's worth, the 460 is a fantastic mic for the money. Maybe I
| lucked up
| | and got a good one.
|
| I have cage-type shock mount from Marshall that acts the same way. If
you
| find a solution let us all know.
|
| Steve King
|
| Do y'all mean that the mount cannot be made to clasp the body tiughtly,
| or that the stand-mount joint cannot be secured. Or some other "hunh?"?
|
| --
| ha
| shut up and play your guitar
| http://hankalrich.com/
| http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hsadharma

It grips the mic fine. It's the swivel that's part of the stand mount.
I've tried different type washers and stuff. I stripped the threads on the
original knob-screw trying to tighten it enough to keep the mic from slowly
(or quickly) flopping down.

'nuther subject.... I just finished several days recording a female narrator
doing a talking book. Tried several mics and ended up choosing the SP-1.
During 17 hours of recording (ahhhggg! what one will do for money!) I kept
thinking about how good that mic sounded.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/20/2010 2:55 PM, Steve King wrote:
wrote in message
| On 4/20/2010 9:29 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
| wrote:
| Where can I get a shock mount for my Apex 460? The one that came with
it is
| total crap. It will not hold the mic in proper alignment.
|
| I think the mount for the U87 will fit. Also I bet Sabra-Som makes
something
| cheap that is half-decent.
| --scott
|
| I have a Sabra-Som, and I don't like it very much. The Rycote that Mike
| suggested is an option, but maybe there are some others worth considering.
I've
| seen discussions about cheaper mounts for U87s, so there might be an
option there.

| Upon further investigation, I'm going to take the Apex one apart and find
out
| why it can't be tightened. The thumbscrew will not tighten the cage. It's
almost
| as if the screw is bottoming out. Maybe a washer or something can help.
|
| For what it's worth, the 460 is a fantastic mic for the money. Maybe I
lucked up
| and got a good one.

I have cage-type shock mount from Marshall that acts the same way. If you
find a solution let us all know.

I found two solutions. The first one was a new shock mount from Apex.
They've modified the design, and the new one works very well. The second
one is a shock mount for an Avant CV-12. I was told they they don't sell
them separately, but they sold me one, and it is a great mount ($60).