James Nipper

Default Good Used Speakers for College Dorm ????

My son will leave for college soon. He would like to find some used
speakers that would be fairly portable. They "could" be bookshelf type, but
that is not a requirement.

His budget is in the $200 range. Again, he is willing to try used speakers
on ebay etc.

What are some reccommendations please ?? His music is (surprise ,
surprise) mostly rock, including some of the moderate rock stuff.

Is ebay a good place to look ??

Thanks for any reccommendations !!

--James--

Michael R. Kesti

James Nipper wrote:

My son will leave for college soon. He would like to find some used
speakers that would be fairly portable. They "could" be bookshelf type, but
that is not a requirement.

His budget is in the $200 range. Again, he is willing to try used speakers
on ebay etc.

What are some reccommendations please ?? His music is (surprise ,
surprise) mostly rock, including some of the moderate rock stuff.

I really like my Tannoy PBM6.5's. They're intended as nearfield studio
monitors but I find that they make great "hi-fi" speakers, too, and at
8" by 8" by 12.5" they are easily portable. I've got the original version,
but there is a "II" version as well.

Is ebay a good place to look ??

Yes. There are currently three set of the originals and one of the "II"
listed. They have sold in the past in the $100 to $150 range.

Thanks for any reccommendations !!

You're melcome.

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain
ReEfErMaDnEsS

Ebay is the best source available for used stuff.....you might like to check
out these...my neighbor has a pair and they sound very good..

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...1&BasicSearch=

I think he has the Diamond 8.1 model ..the Wharfedale's are pretty solid
for rock and the new stuff

"James Nipper" wrote in message

My son will leave for college soon. He would like to find some used
speakers that would be fairly portable. They "could" be bookshelf type,

but
that is not a requirement.

His budget is in the $200 range. Again, he is willing to try used

speakers
on ebay etc.

What are some reccommendations please ?? His music is (surprise ,
surprise) mostly rock, including some of the moderate rock stuff.

Is ebay a good place to look ??

Thanks for any reccommendations !!

--James--

Troy

I use the PBM 6.5II in my studio.They are great flat response near feild
monitors.I also listen to alot of music on them and love them.If you can
find a set (that work properly) for $100 to $150 grab them.

Michael R. Kesti wrote in message
James Nipper wrote:

My son will leave for college soon. He would like to find some used
speakers that would be fairly portable. They "could" be bookshelf type,

but
that is not a requirement.

His budget is in the $200 range. Again, he is willing to try used

speakers
on ebay etc.

What are some reccommendations please ?? His music is (surprise ,
surprise) mostly rock, including some of the moderate rock stuff.

I really like my Tannoy PBM6.5's. They're intended as nearfield studio
monitors but I find that they make great "hi-fi" speakers, too, and at
8" by 8" by 12.5" they are easily portable. I've got the original

version,
but there is a "II" version as well.

Is ebay a good place to look ??

Yes. There are currently three set of the originals and one of the "II"
listed. They have sold in the past in the $100 to $150 range.

Thanks for any reccommendations !!

You're melcome.

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain

James Nipper

I want to thank all of the folks who have made suggestions in response to my
query on this subject. This is very helpful, and I say thanks for these
and other possible replies !!!

--James--

BB

New Paradigm Atoms, and then a Paradigm sub for Christmas or an upgrade
next year. He'll have a little cash left over. Mini-monitors if he
could afford them, or used, are a great deal.
BB

James Nipper wrote:

My son will leave for college soon. He would like to find some used
speakers that would be fairly portable. They "could" be bookshelf type, but
that is not a requirement.

His budget is in the $200 range. Again, he is willing to try used speakers
on ebay etc.

What are some reccommendations please ?? His music is (surprise ,
surprise) mostly rock, including some of the moderate rock stuff.

Is ebay a good place to look ??

Thanks for any reccommendations !!

--James--

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
Newbie Subwoofer questions OodlesoFun General 28 January 12th 04 05:51 PM
do 16 ohm speakers exist? (for home use) General 9 January 7th 04 05:46 AM
Powered Speakers? MS General 24 October 27th 03 02:37 AM
Remote speakers? L-pads? Totally confused! Hogarth General 3 July 3rd 03 02:06 PM