Lord Valve

Default I need a good pair of 16-ohm headphones!

After having finally found exactly what I was looking for in
the way of a portable CD player - the iRiver Slim-X iMP-350,
a half inch thick, runs on NiMH rechargeables, plays any
format you've ever heard of (and is software-upgradeable
for those that haven't been invented yet), weighs damn near
nothing, has a user-definable EQ curve (and five factory
curves) as well as a balance control, mark and repeat
track section capability, line out, FM tuner with 20 presets,
a wired remote that lets you edit and specify all kinds of stuff,
hell, if the damn thing could cook and wash dishes I'd chuck me
old lady - I find myself on the horns of a dilemma. It comes with
earbuds. Now, they sound way better than I ever expected they
would, surprisingly good, in fact, but I just can't wear the damn
things. Fifteen minutes with those nasty little buggers stuffed
into my ears and I've got redness and soreness. No problem,
I figured; hell, I own a music store, I'll just scarf a pair of good
phones out of my stock (I have plenty of AKG and Audio
Technica, as well as a couple of Samson models and some
miscellaneous other stuff) and plug 'em in. Problem: the better
headphones get, the higher the impedance they have. A pair
of AKG K-240s would have been just fine with me, but they're
600 ohms, and the audio output section in the CD player is
rated at twelve milliwatts/channel (!) across a 16-ohm load.
Across 600 ohms, it develops nil point zippity-****. Damn near
inaudible, in fact. I'm using a pair of AKG K-55s right now;
they sound fair, but I still can't get the volume I'm looking
for. (They're 32 ohms...~6 milliwatts ain't cuttin' it.) I checked
out all my dealer catalogs, and some websites - Sennheiser,
Sony, and AKG, and it looks like no-one that I can find out
about is making 16-ohm cans any more. So how about it,
folks - any help here? I want some 16-ohm cans that are
in the AKG K-240 region quality-wise. Circumaural, closed
back. (I can live with open back if I have to.) Who makes 'em?

Lord Valve
American

Mainlander

In article ,
says...
[...]

32 ohms is quite common and would only be a small volume loss
Arny Krueger

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

[...]

You might want to try other earbuds. There are lots of options, some with
custom-made inserts.

[...]

We've recently had some posts related to this very question. One idea
involved transformers.

The usual answer seems that if you want more dBs out of your portable audio
gear, get a portable booster amp.

Les Cargill

Lord Valve wrote:

[...]

Koss makes a bunch of little Walkman sized phones. One's 32 ohm, I
beleive.
--
Les Cargill

Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro, Lord Valve wrote:

[...]

Have you tried the 55-ohm k-240S model that's lower impedance than
the 600-ohm k-240M?
And if that's still not loud enough (it would be a big improvement
but I suspect it won't be enough for you), go to shure.com and click
on E2c in-ear phones (yes, now everyone can have in-ear phones). They
aren't cheap (dunno why the different models have such widely
differing prices), but I suspect they're the loudest things you can
plug into a portable device as you describe.

Here's some copy-and-paste info for the E1c E2c E5c respectively from
the user-guide:
Sensitivity (at 1kHz) 113.5 dB
SPL/mW
105 dB
SPL/mW
122 dB
SPL/mW
Impedance (at 1kHz) 29 16 110

the E2c is 16 ohms, but the higher impedance models are also more
sensitive (at least power-wise, not neccesarily voltage-wise, which
will be the factor limting max SPL). I'll leave it as a problem for
the student to calculate which model is the loudest for a certain
voltage input.

While I'm at it, here's another copy/paste from that pdf manual:
WARNING!
USING THESE EARPHONES AT EXCESSIVE VOLUMES
CAN CAUSE PERMANENT HEARING DAMAGE.
USE THE LOWEST VOLUME LEVEL POSSIBLE.

Lord Valve
American

Peter B.

the E2c is 16 ohms, but the higher impedance models are also more
sensitive (at least power-wise, not neccesarily voltage-wise, which
will be the factor limting max SPL). I'll leave it as a problem for
the student to calculate which model is the loudest for a certain
voltage input.

While I'm at it, here's another copy/paste from that pdf manual:
WARNING!
USING THESE EARPHONES AT EXCESSIVE VOLUMES
CAN CAUSE PERMANENT HEARING DAMAGE.
USE THE LOWEST VOLUME LEVEL POSSIBLE.

Lord Valve
American

I have a pair of the E2's and yes they can go LOUD. However this is
not nessesary at all. Use the foam inserts intead of the clear plastic
ones and outside volume will seriously be cut. There shouldn't be any
need to turn them up to earsplitting levels. If you feel the need to
crank the volume, maybe earmuff style hearing protectors should be
worn as well.

Peter
Lord Valve

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I use Sennheiser 600s with my Sony Discman, and though they don't play at
extremely high levels, the level is more than satisfactory for classical music.
Rock should be no problem.

You're worrying about a relatively minor problem -- unless you're trying to
damage your hearing.

My friend, if it was a minor problem, I wouldn't be worrying about it.
I am, after all, a pro tech and a jazz musician. I know *exactly* what
I want to hear in the cans, and I'm not getting it. I need the full output
of the phone amps in the CD player. 16 ohm phones will do it.
I don't need a technical lecture, I need a pair of 16-ohm cans.

Lord Valve
Asshole

Lord Valve

Ben Bradley wrote:

[...]

OK, one more time, with feeling: I DO NOT WANT TO STICK
ANYTHING INTO MY ****IN' EARS. I'm looking for a set
of 16-ohm cans. The player *came* with 16-ohm drivers,
which go plenty loud. They're earbuds. I hate 'em, they make
my ears sore. Cans. Sixteen ohms. Circumaural, closed.

Jeez.

Lord Valve
Asshole

Bob Cain

Lord Valve wrote:

My friend, if it was a minor problem, I wouldn't be worrying about it.
I am, after all, a pro tech and a jazz musician. I know *exactly* what
I want to hear in the cans, and I'm not getting it. I need the full output
of the phone amps in the CD player. 16 ohm phones will do it.
I don't need a technical lecture, I need a pair of 16-ohm cans.

With all due respect, if the impedence of cans was the
measure of their sensitivity I would agree, but in general
it is not.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

Lord Valve wrote:

OK, one more time, with feeling: I DO NOT WANT TO STICK
ANYTHING INTO MY ****IN' EARS. I'm looking for a set
of 16-ohm cans. The player *came* with 16-ohm drivers,
which go plenty loud. They're earbuds. I hate 'em, they make
my ears sore. Cans. Sixteen ohms. Circumaural, closed.

I can't answer your question without doing the same research
you are doing but I'm curious why, if the sensitivity were
the same or higher, you would care whether they are 16 ohm
or otherwise. Please humor me.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
William Sommerwerck

If you can find a pair of Sony MDR-CD5 or MDR-CD6 'phones (good luck! -- they're
long discontinued), they might be just what you're looking for.

They have the rare combination of high sensitivity and high power-handling
capacity. Although supra-aural, they have foam-rubber pads that actually seal
them to the ear, blocking quite a lot of external sound.

All these things make them wonderful for live recording. I can stand directly
behind the conductor and the 'phones still drown out the full orchestra. This
makes it much easier to adjust the mics.

By the way, I agree with the responder. A lower impedance might deliver more
power to the 'phones, but the impedance has nothing to do with the 'phones'
sensitivity.

You might want to look at one of the HeadRoom battery-powered headphone
amplifiers.

My friend, if it was a minor problem, I wouldn't be worrying about it.
I am, after all, a pro tech and a jazz musician. I know *exactly* what
I want to hear in the cans, and I'm not getting it. I need the full output
of the phone amps in the CD player. 16 ohm phones will do it.
I don't need a technical lecture, I need a pair of 16-ohm cans.

With all due respect, if the impedence of cans was the
measure of their sensitivity I would agree, but in general
it is not.

Lord Valve

Bob Cain wrote:

Lord Valve wrote:

My friend, if it was a minor problem, I wouldn't be worrying about it.
I am, after all, a pro tech and a jazz musician. I know *exactly* what
I want to hear in the cans, and I'm not getting it. I need the full output
of the phone amps in the CD player. 16 ohm phones will do it.
I don't need a technical lecture, I need a pair of 16-ohm cans.

With all due respect, if the impedence of cans was the
measure of their sensitivity I would agree, but in general
it is not.

Ain't lookin' for respect (and there ain't any on the Usenet
anyway, so it'd be a fruitless quest) but you might want to
consider that the available *current* is maximized at
lower impedances, and current is what moves air. I need
to move some air. I want nice, fat, circumaural closed-
back cans. I know all about efficiency vs. SPL. I found
a pair of 16-ohm Pioneers (about 25 years old) in the
junk room and they are *plenty* loud - they just sound like
crap because they're A) cheap and B) beat to hell. I'm
gonna look at some Sonys (24 ohms, some of 'em) and I
have leads on some other stuff. Some kind soul who wasn't
interested in wavin' his technical pecker e-mailed me off-list
with some excellent sources.

Do have a nice day.

Lord Valve
Asshole

Toby

_u_r___ _rossed with _agne___ _ie__ mo___ air. If the
_agne___ fiel_ __ stronger the sensitvity is higher and a
smaller curre__ ___ ___ the same amount __ ___. In the
electrical model of a _river, _he __rength __ the field ____
as the _urns ___io of a log___ ____former coup____ _he
elect_____ _art to the _hysical mode_.

Here you go... Simpler!

Toby

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Lord Valve wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

Lord Valve wrote:

My friend, if it was a minor problem, I wouldn't be worrying about

it.
I am, after all, a pro tech and a jazz musician. I know *exactly*

what
I want to hear in the cans, and I'm not getting it. I need the full

output
of the phone amps in the CD player. 16 ohm phones will do it.
I don't need a technical lecture, I need a pair of 16-ohm cans.

With all due respect, if the impedence of cans was the
measure of their sensitivity I would agree, but in general
it is not.

Ain't lookin' for respect (and there ain't any on the Usenet
anyway, so it'd be a fruitless quest) but you might want to
consider that the available *current* is maximized at
lower impedances, and current is what moves air.

Current crossed with magnetic field moves air. If the
magnetic field is stronger the sensitvity is higher and a
smaller current can move the same amount of air. In the
electrical model of a driver, the strength of the field acts
as the turns ratio of a logical transformer coupling the
electrical part to the physical model.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Roger W. Norman

Well, I have headphone outs on my Spirit F1 and they don't do crap with a
600 ohm impendence, but with 32 ohms they are quite loud enough for
monitoring live setups. Since I have beyer DT770s I started taking my Oz
Audio headphone amp along on gigs because they'd drive the beyers fine and
it gave me multiple outputs for feeding audio to videographers and such.
When I bought the Crest I had assumed the same circumstances applied. I was
wrong. The Crest can drive the beyers just fine, and they drive 32 ohm Sony
7506s too. In the case of some setups it seems that ohms are a
consideration, particularly when one is working with a portable device
powered by batteries.

However, I believe I did see where someone along this thread offered up a
pair of 16 ohm headphones. I'm just not sure if Valve saw it. Otherwise
the thread probably would have died by now.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

Back in the day, Mike, 8- and 16-ohm phones were common as dirt.

I remember the day when 2000 ohm phones were common, but maybe by the
time 16 ohm phones were common, I didn't care about headphone
impedance (and in fact, I still don't).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Roger W. Norman

Yep, it was Ben Bradley that brought up the 16 ohm in-ear setup.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
[...]

In article

writes:

Back in the day, Mike, 8- and 16-ohm phones were common as dirt.

I remember the day when 2000 ohm phones were common, but maybe by the
time 16 ohm phones were common, I didn't care about headphone
impedance (and in fact, I still don't).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Lord Valve